Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Allies: Eldar/Necron: How it stuff works
Old 07 Mar 2015, 13:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Allies: Eldar/Necron: How it stuff works

Ok so I recently saw in a Quick referance guide that you can use allies had no idea, but still don't understand it even after reading the rules so if you could run me on a newbie course that would be great. So as listed I found only the Eldar/Necron work well with Tau so was also wondering what would be great units to take along with as allies for my Tau army.
-Thanks!
Old 07 Mar 2015, 15:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

they recently edited the whole allies section. originally eldar and necrons were battle brothers, MUCH better than allies of convenience. however allies are used in different detachments; and can be used to help plug holes in your army that only your guys cant cover; for example close combat. eldar. for resilience? necrons. it all depends on your playstyle. sometimes my father lends me some of his eldar to help the greater good, really helps keeping the fire off of my firewarriors.
(Rai'xar roughly translates to 'cut off armor', thus 'rendmetal')

Skyfire Cadre: 1589 points
RendMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2015, 18:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Allies are a way to take a small group of units from another army.
You must take, 1 HQ and 1 Troop, and may take an additional 1 Elite, 1 Troop, 1 Fast Attack, and 1 Heavy Support option.
Depending on how well the two forces would trust each other within the fiction they will have varying limits to how they can interact with each other. Ranging from being so buddy buddy that they can mix and match their independent characters, transports, and buffs, all the way to yelling "screw you!" and refusing to look at each other (you can read the specifics in the rulebook).
You can take as many allied detachments as you have points for (as you will see in the Tau-ranids list I talk about below).

In my experience, Tau ally themselves very well with Tau. A Farsight Enclave allied to a regular Tau empire list is one of the most point cost effective ways of getting the awesome stuff you want out of both sets of rules.
Meanwhile, in the tournament scene, the recent top Tau contender (came 8th overall) was running a very interesting Farsight Enclave with 3 Tyranid allies (3 Flyrants and 3 of those exploding spores)
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2015, 19:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Interesting so it would be a good way to lets say use psych without the tau having any btw it says tyrinids arnt capatible with the other guys so they can still be allied they just have to be away 12" then?
Old 07 Mar 2015, 20:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

'Come the Apocalypse' allies cannot deploy within 12" of one another, but after that have no restrictions as to where they can go, however they also count as desperate allies, so if any models are within 6" of each other you have to roll a d6, if you roll a 1 that unit can't act for the turn.
The Tau-ranid list dealt with this problem by using the tyranids as the forward troops (engaging the enemy rapidly in their deployment zone) while the Tau sat back and bombarded the enemy from the opposite end of the board. Rarely if ever did the two forces interact.
Old 08 Mar 2015, 01:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

oh cool might have to try that mix then cuz my second choice for army was going to be tyranids anyway plus tauranids sounds awesome now can you have more than one ally like idk lets say you had enough to actually do every race could you potentially?
Old 08 Mar 2015, 17:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You may have only 1 main force and 1 ally, but as many detachments of that ally as you wish. That said, for a very limited penalty you can play an unbound list and just bring anything you want (which includes multiple different units from as many different codex's as you want).
Old 08 Mar 2015, 21:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

interesting....
Old 25 Apr 2015, 06:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Allies has become kind of an odd thing. The 7th Ed. Rulebook states that "in the case of codex supplements, the Factions of all the units described in that publication is the same as the codex it is a supplement of." -Page 118. In the rules for an Allied Detachment, it is stated that "all units chosen must have a different Faction to any of the units in your Primary Detachment (or no Faction)." -Page 122.

It is very clearly stated in the rules that allying with yourself is not allowed. White Scars chapter tactics Space Marines cannot ally with Iron Hands chapter tactics Space Marines, Tau Empire cannot ally with Farsight Enclaves. Yet people continue to play this way and it is apparently fully acceptable at tournaments. Are people just ignoring this rule change? Or did everyone just miss it completely?
Old 25 Apr 2015, 12:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm thinking a little of both it really doesn't make sense to not be able to ally with your own army when they are the only friendly for most, but then again the rulebook is full of overworded explanations that don't make any sense. :/