Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

which XV9 should i get?
Old 15 Feb 2015, 00:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default which XV9 should i get?

so i've been looking at some forge world stuff, and since my list has plenty of spare points to use (only have 1499 points right now [with xv9 included]) i thought i might grab a XV9. but im having a dilemma with which one to get. im really stuck on the PIG one, but ive heard from some other forums that around 6ed that the BC and FC were more cost effective. ive also heard that the PSR is more effective now in 7ed. any thoughts? i might end up grabbing the ion but just wanted some additional input.
(Rai'xar roughly translates to 'cut off armor', thus 'rendmetal')

Skyfire Cadre: 1589 points
RendMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2015, 09:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think the burst cannon is a really solid choice in 7th edition just because with that weight of attacks you are bound to hurt just about everything enough to be a real nuisance (and the twin-linking means you don't need to support them with markerlights, which frees your lights up for other things), but agree with other internet sources in saying the fusion cascade has its place (Tau are sorely lacking in anti-tank, and having a battlesuit equivalent with some decent anti-tank firepower in the fast attack slot isn't a bad thing).

Pulse ion guns are very middle of the road in my opinion. The slightly higher strength doesn't make a huge difference unless you dedicate them to light armoured transport hunting (something our abundance of S7 weaponry does way better), and they don't have the AP needed to punch through the really heavy infantry. Pretty much, I think everything they do the rest of your army does better. They do look cool though.

Pulse submunition riffle is waaaaay too expensive both in money (because you can only buy them as part of R'alai's kit), and points. In 5th edition they were the pretty much the only mass blast templates available to the Tau, but now we have so many it just doesn't seem worth it. This is absolutely a case of other parts of your army being able to do this better for less points (still... I always day dream about taking 9 of them, 3 riptides, and 3 hammerheads... and just pie plating everything everywhere... as terrible an army as that would be lol)
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2015, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ion and plasma my friend
Old 18 Feb 2015, 14:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok, im probably going to buy the ion one and scratch build some fusion cascades that i can magnetize. seems the best way to go. or maybe i can save up and buy all 3? only time will tell.
(Rai'xar roughly translates to 'cut off armor', thus 'rendmetal')

Skyfire Cadre: 1589 points
RendMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2015, 21:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

if there was a like button I would.