Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Finally won my first game, need help with new list.
Old 09 Jan 2015, 11:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Finally won my first game, need help with new list.

Finally won my first game of 40k 2 nights ago against Dark Angels.

It was my first Dawn of War Deployment also.

We played Mealstrom : The spoils of War

Both myself and the DA player are still learning as we don't get to play very often. I managed to get a 2 point lead in the first round due to luck objectives and just about managed to keep that throughout the game.

The list I went with was...

+++ Tau 01.07.15 (1843pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

XV8 Crisis Farsight Bodyguard Team [3x Gun Drone, 2x Marker Drone]
Crisis Bodyguard [Fusion blaster, Plasma rifle, Target lock]
Crisis Bodyguard [Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite]

+ HQ +

Commander Farsight

Ethereal [2x Marker Drone]

+ Elites +

XV104 Riptide [Early warning override, Ion accelerator, Twin-linked smart missile system]

+ Troops +

Fire Warrior Team [10x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle]
Devilfish [Disruption pod, Two Gun Drones]

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [4x Pathfinder Shas'la]

+ Heavy Support +

Sky Ray Missile Defense Gunship [Twin-linked smart missile system]

XV88 Broadside Team [2x Missile Drone]
Broadside Shas'ui [Early warning override, Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked smart missile system]
Broadside Shas'ui [Early warning override, Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked smart missile system]

XV88 Broadside Team [2x Missile Drone]
Broadside Shas'ui [Target lock, Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked smart missile system]
Broadside Shas'ui [Early warning override, Twin-linked high-yield missile pod, Twin-linked smart missile system]

From what I remember he fielded Ezekiel with 6 DW terminators in a land raider crusader, Belial with 6 Terminator Knights, Dreadnaught w auto cannon an TL Lascannon, A rhino with 2 5man Tactical Marine squads, Ravening attack squad with 6 bikes and a land speeder

I found that my FW and ethereal were basically useless in this game they did nothing, the devilfish were great for getting around and getting objectives but the drones were useless. They Devilfish took a lot of hits even to the rear and I think they only too 1 HP between them.

I deepstriked (first time deep striking) my mini Farsighted bomb in turn 2 managed to get only
y got one round of shooting before he tank shocked them off the board. :dead: :dead:

Riptide was a complete hero, managed to kill one deep striking Terminator in round one but that was all he shot he took a lot of fire and managed to stay alive until round 4 after taking being locked in CC with Ezekiel and the knights from round two.

Found the sky ray to be a bit Meh, it took two hull points from the Land raider and had I been smart I should of used the remaining SM to finish it but I didn't know about tank shock. Either way though I don't think its great. Maybe I'm not using it right.

The psychic stage really hurt me a lot in every round. He was causing all types of havoc and made a few mistakes that i think he will capitalise on in the next game.

I have done out a new list scaling back the amount of troops in favour of more suits i'd love some input, really what I want is to neutralise his Psykers as quickly as possible in the next game.

Any ideas?

Thanks....

+++ Tau 01.13.15 (1844pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

XV8 Crisis Farsight Bodyguard Team
Crisis Bodyguard [Command and Control Node, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite]

+ HQ +

Commander [Fusion blaster, Plasma rifle]

Commander Farsight

+ Elites +

XV104 Riptide [Early warning override, Heavy burst cannon, Twin-linked fusion blaster]

XV104 Riptide [Early warning override, Ion accelerator, Twin-linked fusion blaster]

XV8 Crisis Team
Crisis Shas'ui [Fusion blaster, Plasma rifle, Target lock]

+ Troops +

Fire Warrior Team [6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle]
Devilfish [Disruption pod, Twin-linked smart missile system]

Fire Warrior Team [6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle]
Devilfish [Disruption pod, Twin-linked smart missile system]

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Team
Broadside Shas'ui [Early warning override, Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked plasma rifle]
Broadside Shas'ui [Early warning override, Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked plasma rifle]

XV88 Broadside Team

Basically I am going to run two crisis suit bombs, deep striking the Farsighted one. These will be my main kill units hunting out what ever needs a killing.

The two riptides ill keep on either side of the board to draw his units where ever I want them.

The Minimal FW squads in the devilfish will skim around getting objectives.

Pathfinders will just ry and stay alive long enough to be useful, most likely hanging out near the Broadsides with EWO.

I'm hoping with more or less two of every unit I can negate his Psychic powers because even if he manages to affect one unit doing a certain task there is still another available to do that job.
emmetkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2015, 06:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Your first list had a lot of issues.
I'm amazed that you did what you did and that your skyray did any damage to a land raider at all. Those must have been some lucky rolls considering you're only S8 AP3 trying to glance AV14!

That said, the new list is better... It's very very different than what I see most people using, so I'm not sure if I should make suggestions or just let you continue to find your own way on this.

A few notes on the common points of Tau around the world:

The high yield missile pod is much more popular than the heavy rail rifle. It simply pumps out so many more shots that it is better at nearly everything, and certainly everything the rail rifle is usually trying to accomplish (note: broadsides should not be trying to take down AV14 vehicles).

Deep striking double fusion blaster suits are the number 1 way Tau take down vehicles these days.

Taking 2 of the same weapon rather than mixing and matching is much more common as it creates a unit that is a surgical tool with a single battlefield roll rather than a swiss army knife.

Unless you have a specific plan for the riptide, the ion accelerator is usually a better bet since it is powerful enough to deal with the tough stuff while the blast gives it the ability to take out the little stuff too.

Pathfinders do not see much competitive use as markerlight platforms due to their fragility, and most people I have seen who take markerlights take drones and a drone controller on a battlesuit (either a commander with 2 drones and a fast attack drone team of 4, or elite team with 6 attached drones).

Farsight is cool and thematic but not really competitive. The only reason he sees play is as a tax to bring members of the 7 samurai from the Farsight Enclave's book (such as the riptide independent character). In general the farsight bomb puts too many eggs in one basket for most competitive players.

Last edited by Carrelio; 10 Jan 2015 at 06:24.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2015, 12:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the feedback took a it all on board and have come up with a new list. Some good advice there!!

I decided to take advice that I got on Pathfinders and remove them completely any game I have they are always the first target and they generally fall to first blood. I replaced them with various marker drones taking advantage of drone controller buffs and 2 tetras.

I also decided to add a Firebase Cadre as was recommended to me, I did a few test rolls with 6 Broadsides firing EWO Rail shots against Deep striking Termies and out of 5 rolls I killed an average of 2 units. Using High Yield Missile pods that went up to 3.6 units killed so I'm going to take the HYMP.

I have 2 Commanders and 2 Crisis teams so I'm planning on running two mini bombs all with 2 FB.

I'm worried about lack of marker lights but I'm hoping this will be negated by the increased BS that they will get from the drone controllers.

Any who please take a look, I'd happily take any more advise on board.

+++ Tau 01.13.15 (1850pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1240pts) ++

+ HQ (282pts) +

Commander (154pts) [Command and Control Node (15pts), Drone controller (8pts), 2x Marker Drone (24pts), Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite (20pts), Neuroweb System Jammer (2pts)]

Commander (128pts) [Drone controller (8pts), 2x Fusion blaster (30pts), Onager Gauntlet (5pts)]

+ Elites (570pts) +

XV104 Riptide (190pts) [Early warning override (5pts), Ion accelerator (5pts), Twin-linked fusion blaster]

XV8 Crisis Team (190pts) [2x Marker Drone (24pts)]
Crisis Shas'ui (57pts) [2x Fusion blaster (30pts), Target lock (5pts)]
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts) [2x Fusion blaster (30pts)]

XV8 Crisis Team (190pts) [2x Marker Drone (24pts)]
Crisis Shas'ui (52pts) [2x Fusion blaster (30pts)]

+ Troops (318pts) +

Fire Warrior Team (159pts) [6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle (54pts)]
Devilfish (105pts) [Disruption pod (15pts), Twin-linked smart missile system (10pts)]

Fire Warrior Team (159pts) [6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle (54pts)]
Devilfish (105pts) [Disruption pod (15pts), Twin-linked smart missile system (10pts)]

+ Fast Attack (70pts) +

Tetra Scout Speeder Team [FW] (70pts) [Tetra (35pts), Tetra (35pts)]

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2013) (Formation Detachment) (610pts) ++

+ Formation (610pts) +

Firebase Support Cadre (610pts)
XV104 Riptide (190pts) [Early warning override (5pts), Ion accelerator (5pts), Twin-linked fusion blaster]
XV88 Broadside Team (210pts)
Broadside Shas'ui (70pts) [Early warning override (5pts), Twin-linked high-yield missile pod, Twin-linked smart missile system]
Broadside Shas'ui (70pts) [Early warning override (5pts), Twin-linked high-yield missile pod, Twin-linked smart missile system]
XV88 Broadside Team (210pts)

Last edited by emmetkt; 12 Jan 2015 at 20:45.
emmetkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2015, 03:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That may be too many fusion blasters... they are fantastic at what they do, but the short range and low volume of fire may leave you vulnerable

I'd recommend dropping the smart missiles from the devilfish. Drones lose a little bit of firepower for a lot of flexibility, and they are cheaper.

You may be a little light on markerlights, but not by much. You could consider moving your marker drones on to the broadsides, which would keep your lights safer than they would be on the XV8s, but you'd have to fiddle with the gear a little bit.

One thing you may also want to consider would be to take a farsight enclave as an ally. Put one commander as the HQ, and a battlesuit team as your troop choice (remember that while your devilfish are objective secured troops, your fire warriors likely won't live long on their own so you effectively have 2 troops at the moment). This would give you an extra troop which could really help out on objective missions, and it would also give one of your riptide's access to the Earth caste pilot array.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote