Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle report. 1000 points tau vs SMs. I got smashed, again.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 15:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Battle report. 1000 points tau vs SMs. I got smashed, again.

I will just tell you about the juicy parts.

My enemy (space marines) rolls the warlock trait that forces my units to roll the WORST ld score of models present in the unit. He also gets psychic shriek when rolling for psychic powers as well as mind war.

I win the roll to go first but my enemy seizes the initiative (cause I suck and he is awesome).

I field my army the best I can to get cover. It did not matter.

My enemy drop pods his squad with a librarian HQ and an extra librarian next to my HQ (I had spent 200 points, trying to make him resilient. I failed). I fail to stop any of his psychic attacks cause tau suck against...everything that people are actually fielding (drop pods, psyker cheese, heavy weapons). My leader loses his Ld check of 7 (cause of the trait his warlord had) and leaves the table with his drones (hence the Ld check of 7).

That was not all. He then attacked an xv-8 squad with mind war. He scored 16 with 3 dice. Compared to my Ld of 7 (I had taken drones again). This meant a total of 9 wounds. My squad was killed instantly.

Then he one-shot my hammerhead with a vindicare assassin he had (turbo-boost rounds).

I lost a total of 533 points in one round.

TAU ARE SO TRULY AWESOME.
kokaleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2014, 00:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I need more details unless you are just posting this to rant. What is your army list, what was the army list you were facing (I can work with a rough list outline on his part, but not just a single unit in a transport), how much terrain did you have?

All I can tell you right now is that your opponent got some super lucky dice rolls and you're probably overspending on your commander at your current point value. Also what was your hammerhead doing out in the open getting sniped by a guy with half its range?
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2014, 05:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default I was just trying to survive

Well, I just bought the indurium armor, 2 guns and 2 shield drones for the commander. I was just trying to survive. It failed

As for the Hammerhead, I do not know in what kind of tables you guys are playing. Where Iam playing (using the official GW grass mind you. 4x6), there are no huge distances.

Do you want to know why I got sniped? My Hammerhead was not in the open but the vindicare IGNORES COVER! Why was I in range? Because there was NOWHERE TO GO TO! He positioned his guy in a place where 36 inches was more than enough to hit whatever he wished. It is really easy to do that in horizontal and diagonal deployment.

And no, we do not have LOS blocking terrain. Do you know what the funny thing is? Tau suck so much that even sth that supposedly helps them (free LOS) actually screws them.
kokaleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2014, 18:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You've got it all wrong, Tau need cover desperately and use their maneuverability to makes use of whatever limited line of sight they can get. Jump-shoot-jump is the epitome of using cover to our advantage and is what makes our Xv8s survivable. You should be playing with d3 pieces of varied terrain (that means some total line of sight blocking pieces, some forests, and some low lying difficult terrain such as craters) per 2 square feet of board. Get yourself some proper terrain and you'll have way more success.

You are faster and more maneuverable than marines so you need to take advantage of that in the same way Dark Eldar would. By the time you finish deploying your goal is to make it so that even if you had the initiative seized like you did, your opponent just wastes a turn being unable to get a clean shot on a single target.

Further, terrain can be used to force scatter on the drop pod (it may not land in difficult or impassible terrain); correct placement will mean his warlord will be outside of that 12" intimidating presence bubble, and maybe even psychic shriek if his scatter is really bad (remember that he has to stay at least 1" away from you and a drop pod is already a conservative 4" across, giving you a full 5" of breathing room on top of whatever length of terrain you have, and then scatter!).

Now, as for that vindicare, my apologies, I hadn't realized his range had been bumped up to 72" which competes with our railgun. You'll just need to play cat and mouse with him instead and use LOS blocking cover to keep safe until you have a chance to snipe him out. He still got pretty lucky exploding your hammerhead though; that's only a 7% chance, even with his special ammo and ignoring cover.

At 1000 points quantity will often win out over quality, so consider losing the iridium on the commander. If you're using him aggressively though, I'd recommend keeping the drones.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote