Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need Army List Help
Old 21 Nov 2014, 23:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Need Army List Help

I Have been playing Warhammer 40k for about a year now and I have run into a large losing streak. Its getting pretty frustrating with my Tau empire army always losing and getting crushed. Some one suggested I ask for help on forums and here I am. Here is what I have:

1 Crisis suit Commander, 3 Crisis suits, 1 Broadside,1 Riptide, 24 Fire Wariors,
3 steath suits, 1 piranha, Darkstride, a handful of drones and 10 pathfinders.

I plan to get some more stuff to so other tau units may be suggested. I would like a strong suggested list for general but I usually face chaos marines every week. So thanks to any of you who give suggestions and help!
Crowdingfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2014, 08:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sorry I missed this; I've been away for a few days.

The number one reason new Tau players lose is because they are over-reaching with their point values. Are you playing 1000 points and under? Because that's what this army can do without adding more models. Pick up another riptide and 2 more broadsides, and then you'll be ready for 1500 (though perhaps a touch short on troops for my taste). I think a couple broadside's as your first buy would be a really good option. If you did, you could run something like this at 1000 points:

HQ:
Commander
-C&CN
-M-SSS
-NSJ

Elites:
Riptide - 185 points
-IA
-Twin-linked Fusion blasters
-EWO

3 XV8 Battlesuits - 180 points
-6 plasma rifles
-2 shield drones

Troops:
12 Fire warriors - 108 points
-pulse rifles

12 Fire warriors - 108 points
-pulse rifles

Heavy Support:
3 broadsides - 267 points
-HYMP
-sms
-6 missile drones

The commander can buff either the XV8 team (meq) or the missilesides depending on who you are playing against (everything else). My concern is obviously that without markerlights your riptide is going to flounder, but try it out and see how it goes; at small point values maybe the scatter won't hurt you quite as badly. I really don't like pathfinders for my lights and would much rather take drones (to a point where as you can see I would rather not bring them at all lol)... Don't know if that will work for you... but let's see!
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2014, 20:41   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Okay I can see how this would work, I was a bit confused when I saw no marker lights. I will have to try it after the holidays and see if I get another broadside, But I will let you know how it goes when I do!

And thanks again!
Old 01 Dec 2014, 21:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau used to function more efficiently because pathfinders were basically the only reasonably priced source of markerlights (and due to their immense weaknesses it was better to leave them out entirely); throughout the previous codex the only lights Tau players ever used were forgeworld tetras. Marker drones are now the most effective light source in my opinion, and pathfinders are still as big a liability as ever (also my opinion). The buff focused commander negates the need for markerlights for whatever unit he joins. And the broadsides already have twin-linked weaponry so they won't be hurting for accuracy even if they don't have the commander with them. In the above list the riptide will really be the only one missing those markerlights as his accuracy is very poor, he runs the risk of overheating, and he would really love to remove cover... but I'm pretty sure you can work around that by simply having such a big tough monster of a unit in 1000 points (understand that he will be designed to draw fire away from your useful units, and maybe kill something now and again, rather than being your number one killing machine).

An option that you may want to consider would be bringing along a Farsight enclave ally contingent made up of a fireblade, the riptide (with the special earthcaste mod to reroll 1s), and the 3 xv8s as troops instead of elites. But the point values would be a little higher, probably for 1250 games?
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2015, 00:04   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Been a while but my winning ratios has only slightly improved, haven't got all the stuff from suggested list but I'm getting there. Got another broadside, a hammerhead, fireblade, and razorshark. of course though since the new rules are coming up I'm sure things will change. Plan to get that storm surge though for sure.