Default Countering the new meta

I'm looking for tips on beating the latest meta threats specifically-

Grav centurions with tiggy

Adamantium lance formation

Wave serpent spam

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 06:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Going to be honest, of the lists you mentioned, I've only played against wave serpent spam, and it honestly doesn't require any changes from regular Tau lists or mindsets. We walk all over them, absolutely all over them. Without even trying!
Wave serpent spam benefits from the speed and survivability of their troop transports; they get to deflect damage, and have skimmer cover saves... but Tau are so flexible in their deployment options (so much infiltrating and deep-striking) and maneuverability (all that jump-shoot-jump), that we're going to be getting through those fancy front and side deflectors. Cover means nothing to us. And the fact that serpents just so happen to be weak against our massed S7 to S8 armywide anti-tank sweet spot just makes it like shooting fish in a barrel.
Last time I played them I literally beat the entire 2000 point list with just 2 riptides with markerlight support (my fire warriors never even got out of their tanks). Glanced swaths of them off the board each turn (the best is if you can clump them up due to placement of terrain in their deployment zone, and then drop a couple pieplates on multiple serpents!). You still have to be careful of those desperate final turn objective rushes, but that's just playing smart (and Tau do it too... so... we can't really call anyone else out on doing it).

Never played the Adamant Lance formation, but if it's anything like fighting 1 knight (but 3 times more chivalrous) then you're just going to have to bring melta. Lots and lots of melta.

Lastly the gravity of Cenies and the T man... that's a tough one. ATT suggests allying in an imperial assassin to nullify psychic powers (but the topic didn't get very far because the topic eroded into a troll trolling and a flamewar flaming).

Sorry I can't be of more help. I need to travel further outside of my current gaming area to get back in touch with the competitive meta it seems.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2014, 09:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the tips on wave serpent spam. I always found that my markerlight sources (tetras & pathfinders) would get taken out early on by the serpent shield as it outranges most of our firepower. From then on it was an uphill battle.

Adamantine lance is horrible because they get to re-roll their ion shields giving them an effective 25% invulnerable save increase on one facing which is usually enough to see off a deep striking threat. They can still be glanced to death by broadsides but I've stopped running a buff 'O so they no longer have tank hunter. I suppose the only true counter is multiple AT threat vectors but it's harder to implement than it appears.

As for Tiggy with buddies it's such a nasty combination when you run battlesuit heavy... Even our skimmers have a lot to fear. Usually S10 is where they crumble however we can't spam that weaponry in large amounts. I suppose massed firepower might work however I can't see my opponent letting me roll 2 devilfish squads with ethereal into his face.

I also struggle against white scars armies... but there's nothing particularly cheesy about spamming grav bikes these days as every marine player I know seems to be doing it.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 18:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, I always run my markerlights on drones for the survivability of J-S-J (pop out, shoot, pop back behind something; can't hit what you can't see), maybe that's you're problem?

And shooty bikes can be a problem, especially because grav weapons are scary... but the good news is, unlike the teleporting invisible grav weapon stylings of T and the Cs, bikes and grav weapons each still have blatantly exploitable weaknesses in this format. Number one (and most beardy of you) is to use terrain. Bikes can't climb stairs, so if you place objectives on the upper floors of buildings he may gun down all your important units, but he will never win. Second, while a grav weapon's short range is still mostly negated by the speed of a bike... the issue still exists; you can outrange them easily. Basically you need to think of them like regular bikes back in 5th edition. They are going to move ultra super fast and try to get in close; once they get in close you lose the game. So block their movements with expendable units, back peddle with your army taking advantage of your skimmers and jumping, and gun them down before they get close. It'll take practice but it isn't unreasonable to do.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote