Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

7th Edition Changes
Old 27 May 2014, 11:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default 7th Edition Changes

So 7th has hit and I think it would be valuable to discuss potential changes to our list building now that the new edition has hit. I'll start us off with the fact that O'Vesa star and buffmander is now pretty dead as independent characters can no longer join Monstrous creatures of any kind. Anyone else noticed any changes?
Old 27 May 2014, 12:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Our Skimmers have suffered due to the Jink changes. No more rocking a passive 4+ in the open just for moving.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would be interested to hear your initial thoughts on scoring units Coffee. I think Kroot will be valuable for objective secured and perhaps deep striking suits and dare I say Vespid!? We will need mobility that's for sure!
Old 27 May 2014, 14:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I feel like a Farsight/Empire allies list will be my next move. Being able to swamp the field in a Battle Forged Troops-heavy style will be tonnes of fun. I'm thinking 2-3 12 man Devilfish squads with an Ethereal, Outflanking Darkstrider squad, a horde of Kroot, 2 XV8 teams, and fill the rest with my two Riptides for pressure application. I'm also thinking Shadowsun to Infiltrate one of those scoring XV8 teams up will be fun.
Old 27 May 2014, 14:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Have the infiltrate rules changed then? I don't have the book but I heard that there were no changes to that ruling. The devilfish does seem more attractive now however I still feel it might me a trap. I would rather pay for more offense than get FWs up in the enemies faces with a costly transport hence why kroot might be a cheaper option for this line of work.
Old 27 May 2014, 14:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There's apparently a rule for ICs that notes that they join their squad before Deployment, so conferring Infiltrate works now. Page 166 I'm told.

I love the cinematic appeal of Fire Warriors in Devilfishes more than I love the actual power they hold. That said, moving all 3 into position with Storm of Fire on the Ethereal nets you 105 Pulse Rounds to remove whatever displeases you...
Old 27 May 2014, 15:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

If that's true then I'm definitely cracking shadowsun out again! That would provide a huge no-go area for vehicles from turn 1. I like the theory behind the FW rush however I think my positioning would always let me down. You would have to be a hero to get all 3 squads into ethereal range. Plus it's very all or nothing as anything surviving that volley will surely plough you thoroughly the following turn. I think you were right some time ago when you said that broadsides were too static. Now they are even worse!
Old 27 May 2014, 15:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm finding that Tau are surprisingly capable of applying pressure, you have to move fast, encircle them and strike hard. My current list uses 40 Outflanking Kroot and 12 Darkstrider-Outflanking Fire Warriors. They work like knives to the side while my Riptides storm up and generally be very scary by wrecking tanks.

It's a very fun way to play, and it's very easily undone. Trick is to simply swamp your opponent in bad choices. Don't hit the Riptides?They'll move up close wrecking and charging where possible. Don't shoot the Kroot? Expect your squads to drown in 40 Bolter strength shots. AP doesn't matter here. Don't shoot Darkstrider? Your Marines will be taking Wounds on a 2+ and that'll see them drop.

A very fun way to play. I had one of each Hammerhead for long-ranged fire support. Soften the right targets up, and your Outflankers are on janitor duty mopping up the backfield.

This'll probably still work in 7th, taking the Hammerheads out for some Allied Crisis Suits perhaps...
Old 27 May 2014, 16:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

That does sound like a fun list. Is reserves still working the same in this edition? Because there is something to be said for controlling the initiative especially with a shooty force like tau. I always used to field as much as possible at the start of the battle and then use kroot to sneak in on some objectives as late as possible. Nowadays the kroot aren't as vital but I will definitely have to get more mobile elements into my lists.

A lot of people are claiming that the piranha is the way forwards in terms of fusion threat and scoring however if I am reading this right if they jink (which is more than likely!) then they will be snap firing fusion blasters next turn... not exactly enticing. Tetras on the other hand are much better as they double up on marker duty and grabbing late game objectives.
Old 27 May 2014, 16:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My current list uses 3 Tetras alongside two eight-man Pathfinder teams for Markerlights. Should be handy having those guys Score nowadays. I think Vehicles don't score unless otherwise stated, though.

I personally find that fielding everything up front means you have all your momentum in the opening rounds, but it fades as you take losses without reinforcement. I keep my durable stuff on the board, and the fragile Troops off it. That way I'm attacking with almost a full force well into turn 2/3 unless things have gone horribly, while my opponent should have taken some decent losses.

Reserves are now unlimited, you can have as many squads off-table as you want. However, you need to bear in mind that losing all your on-table units still results in a loss.