Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

heavy support?
Old 09 May 2014, 19:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default heavy support?

hi there,

im new to all this and could do with some advice; my current army is simply the battleforce plus another fire warrior box and i would like to add some HS to the army. I have heard that broadsides are good but i would only be able to afford one.

thanks
Bookworm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2014, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hey Bookworm,
You are correct in being concerned about a single broadside's performance. A team on 2 or 3 can rock, but a team of one simply won't put out enough firepower or have enough survivability to be a real star of the show. For a little more money you can buy a hammerhead/skyray kit which has the added benefit of having the 2 vehicle options in one kit (so you can play around with which one you like in your army lists; spare parts and options are always awesome to have).

Now, this is just looking at the heavy support pick because you asked for that specifically. As far as purchases go, starting out I'd actually recommend a whole second battleforce instead of any one single purchase. It's just one of the best kits out there right now and comes with so much stuff you will want in your army (since you already have a second box of fire warriors if you go this route you may want to consider converting a couple fire warriors into fireblades to serve as HQs). Alternatively, the riptide is just amazing for the Tau and easily does the job of any one of our fully optimized heavy support choices. Alternatively again, 2 piranhas are about the same price as the hammerhead kit, and can be a really different and unique unit for Tau (a team of 2 or 3 is so many times better than just 1 that it's worth considering getting another one whether you buy another battleforce or not).

Hope that helps. If you want more in depth advice, consider posting up what exactly you feel your current army is lacking; is it anti-tank punch, is it anti-infantry, anti-air, a tough defensive unit to soak up damage, etc.?
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 06:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Carrelio absolutely has it right, two battleforces starting out is the way to go. I very nearly purchased a second one myself a while back (I received the previous battleforce that included one crisis suit, 12 fire warriors, 12 kroot, a stealth team and a devilfish) but stumbled upon the really old battleforce that consisted of a crisis team, fire warriors, kroot and a buttload of drones for dirt cheap. Honestly I don't think there's ever been a Tau battleforce that wasn't a great deal in terms of composition and utility.

The battleforce starts you out with an excellent army core that provides a good range of battlefield roles.
> Your fire warriors are the core infantry force to hold objectives on the ground and form the focal point of the rest of your army's conduct. Since you have two boxes worth you have some flexibility with how they are deployed. You can field two full squads for maximum survivability and staying power in terms of focusing fire. Or you can go for a more adaptable composition and field 3 smaller squads. Two can hold the line while a third, possibly smaller squad, moves up the board under covering fire to contest or sweep vulnerable objectives.
> The crisis team provides the potential for a sold warlord choice as well as the elite smack-down capability you'll need to deal with any scary stuff your enemy throws at you. If you're up to the task, magnetizing these guys is definitely a good move considering the almost overwhelming weapon combinations available. It doesn't matter what enemy you are presented with, crisis teams can be outfitted to take it down hard. They are undoubtedly the most operationally flexible unit in the game that performs to full effect. I would recommend that whatever you find your army lacking in, whether it be a basic battlefield role or trouble with a specifically devastating enemy unit, outfit your battlesuits to perform the necessary task to the fullest.
> The piranha provides you with a very cheap and multi-purpose unit that will complement your army's composition nicely. If you are lacking in anti-tank or anti-horde, these are both roles that the piranha can excel at. However, the addition of drones makes the piranha an even greater asset for the price. Keep the drones attached for focused anti-infantry firepower or detach them to perform a separate harassing role. Drones and piranhas can utilize their maneuverability to screen your troops by blocking enemy movement and lanes of fire. I would recommend bringing at least two, but preferably three for effectiveness. Keep in mind that the more piranhas you have in your squad means a larger unit of drones to detach and lay down covering fire or even engage weak enemy units in combat (drones treat all our vehicles as assault vehicles)!
> Finally, the stealth team (which has become one of my personal favorite choices lately) can act as a very tough harassing unit that, deployed correctly, will throw a huge wrench into your enemy's plans. The ability to infiltrate or outflank allows the stealth team to hit your opponent where he is vulnerable and not expecting opposition. This can also be combined with the use of homing beacons or positional relays to bring in other elements of your force for a devastating hammer blow. Stealth teams are excellent for laying down a fullisade of infantry-stopping burst fire (also effective against light armor), but with the inclusion of a fusion blaster and target lock are able to split their role to handle high value armor or monstrous creatures. Additionally, the excellent cover save granted by having the stealth and shrouded special rules will insure that this unit weathers heavy firepower that would otherwise shred your crisis suits, troops or vehicles.

Now, as to expanding your army, that depends on what playstyle you prefer and what role you want your new unit to perform.
> Broadsides are a very static, but very effective source of massed firepower. In either form they are strong against light to medium armored vehicles, though the high-yield missile pods add considerable effectiveness against infantry, monstrous creatures and flyers (more shots = better chances of snap shots without velocity trackers). If you want to play a gunline style army that drowns your opponent in firepower, these guys are a good (though pricey!) choice.
> The hammerhead is a good addition to either a gunline or a more mobile army. Both the railgun (with submunitions) and the ion cannon are highly effective against infantry squads. The railgun specializes alternately in bringing down heavier armor in one go while the ion cannon is a marine killer for sure and will see greater utility against light to medium armor and monstrous creatures. The skyray will benefit your army in neutralizing flyers in the beginning stages of the game and can then transition into supporting the effectiveness of the rest of your army's firepower late game.
> Sniper drones are a unit that I have no playable experience with, however I can throw out a bit of advice concerning them. They are certainly a good choice to bring along with a gunline army as their weaponry benefits from the Storm of Fire ethereal power. They are also a good source of markerlights if you find yourself short on alternate sources. They are not, however, effective against vehicles. Infantry, both lightly and heavily armored, and monstrous creatures are more to their ability. This unit doesn't have the same core utility as either broadsides or hammerheads, but can definitely be a fun and effective unit to supplement your army and add to your fluff.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 20:43   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Hammerhead and crisis suits

Thanks for all the advice...

I had great fun making a fireblade, cutting out the EMP and replacing with knife, standing a dead SM torso and backpack, using grenade launcher as m/light.

I have decided to get hammerhead, not sure about ion/rail yet.

If i get an ion/rail 'head will I still need plasma/fusion on my suits?

Opponents are mainly SM, IG and eldar

It seems like the M/bods are good allround.

Oh, and TL or two indidual?

thanks,again
Old 13 May 2014, 06:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd lean towards railgun on the hammerhead. For the ion cannon, you can get S7 all over our army, and in my opinion other options just straight up do it's job better (looking at you riptide). The railgun on the other hand is the only S10 in our whole army (and one of the few S10 guns in the entire game), and the S6 large blast (that doesn't overheat) is nice to have for thinning hordes of infantry (the hammerhead's real ability is killing infantry and it usually does a pretty good job of it)

With that in mind, which ever one you pick you still need other options for anti-tank and elite hunting roles in your army. Be that a riptide, or suits with the gear for the job (nothing hunts tanks like fusion suits).
Old 13 May 2014, 11:21   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Rail it is then

for the suits, i have 3 of each weapon, so how would you suggest equipping them?

One will be used as commander
Old 13 May 2014, 20:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With only 3 of each weapon you've really only got a couple options for load outs. What I would strongly suggest is that you don't glue on the weapons; they fit nicely into the little peg spots so you can swap them in and out (or when you get adventurous consider magnets).
I'd think a fusion blaster and plasma rifle (the helios, my personal favourite suit) would likely be a good choice of load out until you get a second set of 3 suits (then run 3 double plasmas and 3 other suits with double up other weapons, either fusion or missiles). This gives you a pretty hard hitting unit with decently compatible ranges for elite hunting.
If you're running one as a commander, run the other two as an elite unit, not a bodyguard; the increased cost of bodyguards gives you very little benefits.
Old 14 May 2014, 10:02   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks, wil do.

what about drones?

I have 7 left to build - is it worth getting shield/marker drones?
Old 14 May 2014, 10:03   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks, wil do.

what about drones?

I have 7 left to build - is it worth getting shield/marker drones?
Old 14 May 2014, 15:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Both of those options take a little conversion to achieve, though one far more than the other. You only own enough parts to make 3 of each non-gun option drone at the moment and you will need to convert them using parts from other units (the battlesuits).
A couple shield drones here and there can be very helpful in a Tau army. A lone commander in a battlesuit does very well for the help of 2 shield drones. You can make these easily enough by drilling a hole for a flying base in a shield generator (the piece that looks like a short flat mushroom) from the XV8s, gluing it to the bottom of a drone, and then gluing 2 of the antennae onto the top.
Marker drones are my favourite way of getting markerlights on the field when combined with a commander dedicated to boosting their ballistic skill. You can make them through a slightly complicated conversion of trimming down their right pulse carbine and drilling a hole in a xv8 target lock (the little cube with an indented lense) to attach to the left side.
I advise for either you search around for a proper tutorial.
All of them have their value and it just depends how you'd like to use the drones.