Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Astra Militarum
Old 16 Apr 2014, 02:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Astra Militarum

So the new Guard codex is out and there have been a few changes. My IG buddy picked up the book today and we played a game. Unfortunately things went rather poorly since he decided to run a footslogging army that lacked sufficient armor besides Sentinels and his storm troopers (scions is a stupid name) didn't manage to get a single shot off all game. However, there were two changes that I foresee giving us some serious issues. First is that the order "Fire on my Target" has changed from forcing the target unit to re-roll successful cover saves to denying that unit cover saves altogether. Say goodbye to the happy days for our skimmers and stealth suits! Next is that Primaris Psykers are able to roll on Divination, which opens up some nasty possibilities indeed...

What do you guys think? Have you read the book, played any post update IG armies? Let's have a discussion!
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The new Imperial Guard - we refuse to call them Astra Militarum and have a swear jar for it - seem pretty damn nasty. The more popular Russ variants are even cheaper, Pask is a monster, Conscripts are dirt cheap and easy to make Fearless, and the Order System is a beast.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 05:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Always makes me reflect on the Tau niche when a new shooting focused book comes out... I haven't played 40K in a while, but from the sounds of things guard are going to be a nasty challenge when I get around to playing against them. Just hope the big guns of our new book (and crisis troops I suppose) are enough to swing the tide better than they did when the last guard book came out back in 5th (those were dark days indeed).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2014, 12:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Take Aim order is already causing waves. It says it gives the unit Precision Shot, but unlike our Advanced Targeting System and every other version of it, doesn't say you need to roll 6s to get them!

Either some bad proof reading, or a nasty as hell Order to be feared!
Old 17 Apr 2014, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Games Workshop is classically incapable of giving us well written rules. As with the confusion over Grav weapons and their immobilizing damage to vehicles, I'll be interpreting the rule as the less broken option.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 14:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

However, it seems that this might be deliberate, worryingly enough. There's a lot of evidence to suggest it.

Would it kill GW to release an FAQ? :/
Old 17 Apr 2014, 19:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Pretty sure precision shot isn't an issue as in the main rulebook the unspecified version of the rule is 6s get allocated not that everything gets allocated. It's still really powerful for a cheap character to grant a cheap unit that kind of power and flexibility though.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2014, 04:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think that Eldar sniper HQ guy has a specific rule in which all of his rolls to hit count as precision shots. Unless the order is worded so specifically I would treat it as per standard characters.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thing is, in the Advanced Targeting System, Sniper and Character rule, it says, "if you roll a 6 to hit, that hit is a Prevision Shot." It becomes a Precision Shot after rolling a 6 to hit.

Illic Nightspear and Sgt Telion are both Characters and Snipers, so getting, "every shot is a Precision Shot," when that means they only get it on 6s is redundant, there's no use for that special rule they both have. It must mean that Precision Shots don't need a 6 to Hit unless specified - there's a Pistol in the Guard Codex that has Precision Shot, but only Characters can take it so there's literally no use for it if that's the case.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 13:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It sure would have been nice of them to include a definition for Precision Shot in the special rules section!