Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Newbie needs help
Old 07 Mar 2014, 06:35   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Newbie needs help

Hi,

I am a long time fantasy player (mostly O&G), but i am totally new to 40k. To be honest i never intended to start playing 40k, because i think most models are hideous and totally rediculous (probably a bad intro on a 40k site). The concept of driving WW1 tanks through space just does not really work with me. And dont get me started about Orcs...euh Orks!

However, i recently moved from the Netherlands to Turkey and here the hobby is quite small, with Fantasy almost non existant. So to get in on the fun here i am tempted to start with 40k. I can pick up some second hand Tau stuff for a reasonable price and the Tau really fit my idea about space a bit more and are actually the only army of which i like the models (save the kroot). The problem is that the second hand lot is really big, way to big for my needs and budget, but the seller agreed to let me come up with a list of the things i want.

But since i am an absolute beginner when it comes to 40k i need some help.

So here is the list of models i can pick from. And i prefer to go without Kroot. The seller is asking roughy 400-450 euros for the total, but i have max 200 Euros available. So please give me some advice on what units i really need or are nice to have to make a balanced force (am no power gamer, but off course i like to have a fair chance at winning).

thanks.

Assembled or painted:
3 Ethereals
30 Attack Drones
40 Fire Warriors
5 Pathfinders (converted)
2 Stingwings
40 Kroot Warriors
2 Kroot Shaper
4 Kroot Hounds
1 Krootox
2 Devilfish
1 Hammerhead/Skyray
3 XV 25 Stealth Team
9 XV8 Battlesuit/battlesuits
2 XV88Broadside/broadsides

New in box:
1 Battlesuit Commander
12 Fire Warriors
1 Devilfish
1 Drone Sniper Team

Last edited by BorkBork; 07 Mar 2014 at 06:39.
BorkBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2014, 07:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey Borkbork, welcome to TauOnline!

I personally agree with you on the 40K aesthetic for the most part. I find the Imperial designs to be fairly boxy and uninspiring. Tau definitely have a more high tech and progressive look.

As far as starting an army with pieces from that list, I'd recommend 24 Fire Warriors and an Ethereal. This covers your mandatory 2 Troops and 1 HQ with some cheap but effective units.

In addition, I'd consider getting two Broadsides, a handful of Crisis Suits, maybe a Devilfish, and snap up some Pathfinders too, if they're cheap. The thing with the Tau Codex at the moment is that it has excellent internal balance. Everything has a job or can be equipped to do a job, and can do that job at least pretty well.

From here, it really depends what playstyle you see yourself wanting to try. You can have a list crammed with Crisis Suits for mobile firepower, Hammerheads and Devilfishes for a good ol' mechanised list, or an Infantry gunline. There's a lot of choice and a lot of room to build the right setup that you'll enjoy playing, and it 'll hold its own at least against most stuff.
Old 07 Mar 2014, 15:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

This is good advice. I'd start out with a basic gunline, 2-3 units of fire warriors an etherial. Backed up by a pair or missile broadsides, a Hammerhead with a railgun, three crisis suits with 2 Plasma rifles, and a unit or two of Pathfinders. this will give a nice well rounded gunline army thats fairly straightforward to play and get the hang of.

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2014, 19:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and advice.
What point lvl are we roughly talking about with the models you both are mentioning?
Old 07 Mar 2014, 19:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With that stuff the others recommended you could comfortably play a 1500 pointlist, which is usually about average for a game of 40k. You wouldn't be spoiled for choice in what to take, but it would be an adequate list and you'd probably have a good time playing it (especially if you grab the 2 devilfish which will keep those fire warriors properly on the move).

Now I don't know the condition of these models but optimally you'd be looking for something like this for your money:
2 ethereals
6 battlesuits
24 fire warriors
2 devilfish (make sure it has its drones or else ask for 2 more gun drones)
2 XV88 broadside battlesuits
1 hammerhead (make sure it has its drones/weapon mounts or else ask for 2 more drones)
16+ drones

You'd be paying a little more than half the value of the original product, which I think is reasonable (and seems roughly in keeping with his asking for 400-450 for the lot).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2014, 16:57   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thx. 1500 was indeed what i wanted to aim at.

and onother quick question....some of the models up for sale are the previous edition models. Would that be a problem when it comes to equipment and weaponry?
Old 09 Mar 2014, 09:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Only the Broadside models have changed a lot, but a nice opponent should be fine with you running them.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 19:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Even a not nice opponent basically has to just deal with it, as by RAW you are playing a completely legal model (exactly as it came in its original packaging, base and all).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2014, 11:27   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks again,

I actually gave up on the second hand deal.
The seller sent me an other set of pictures (i requested more close ups) and quite a few models are not in the best of shape. And his price is not below 50/60% of the current gw prices, although it mostly concerns olders models (and he is counting single suit prices instead of 3 in a box price). Anyway, the deal bounced. So if i go for 2 battleforces (at wayland prices) and a few extras i get everything new for not really that much more monies.

So i will end up with

6 battle suits
2x 12 FW teams
6 stealth suits
2x piranha.

On top of the two sets i am thinkin of adding
1 box of pathfinders
1 devilfish
1 broadside/or hammerhead
1 ethereal (although the dont sell those at wayland)
Old 12 Mar 2014, 14:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The ones you're getting from Wayland are a pretty solid core to the army, actually.

Stealth Teams with Homing Beacons can act as a lure for Crisis Suits to drop next to and pound into the dust. Fire Warriors are your loyal foot soldiers and can handle the cheap, horde infantry you might fight. Piranhas would probably be best used with Fusion Blasters, and sent to attack any Tanks that threaten you.

I'd give this list some plays, then think about what it might be lacking in that you might want:

If shots just aren't hitting, then Pathfinders with heir Markerlights are great. You can get 2 5-man squads from a box, that will help your units really make the most of their fire.

If Tanks are giving you trouble, the Hammerhead with Railgun will be handy. If you're seeing tonnes of Space Marines, the Ion Cannon is very useful. The Skyray is handy if you want some help taking down Fliers, as well as supporting with Markerlights and Seeker Missiles. I'd definitely sit with the kit and think about Magnetising before you build it. The Skyray and Hammerhead turrets are separate sprues, but you'll want to be able to swap the Railgun and Ion Cannon out when you need to.

Ethereals are great for making the most of your Infantry, and Devilfishes keep them safe and allow them to threaten the midfield a bit more. Again, this will come down to what weaknesses you feel will need filling.