Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HQ Discussion
Old 28 Feb 2014, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thumbs up HQ Discussion

I am always looking for new tactics. One slot choice I am always tinkering with is my HQ slots.

Now I know that Aun'Va or an Etheral makes for some nice shooting goodness, but you can not tinker with those.

The Commander, you can.

On that note, the way I am running my commander is to give him a Multispectrum sensor suite and a Command and Control Node. I then marry him up against a Riptide with a Ion accelerator and have a unit with a large gun, that hits pretty consistently (add two lights here and it will always), shoots through cover (due to the commander's gear), and shoots through armor. (AP 2 weapon). Because it is a Riptide, and I always Nova charge the shield, it is very hard to kill. Just overcharging the gun makes it a large blast, making this a very excellent infantry killer. (and a few tanks too).

Added benefit is that a lot of fire is sent against my Riptides, being soaked up by the shield and armor.

I also like the 22 model, Farsight salute. Farsight, his seven, all with two guns drones a piece. This is only a unit for the awesome jaw drop ability, otherwise just being a point sink, that SOOOOOO LOOKS GOOD, when you deploy it.

What other Commanders do we have? I am always open to new ideas.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2014, 18:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

the "beat gun" Commander our version of a beat stick HQ,
2 plasma guns, VRT, ATS, PEN, Iridium armour, and Onager Gauntlet should cost 3 points more than farsight
4 BS 5 Plasma Gun shots that precision on 5+, (so your likely to at least get one) re-rolls to wound against monsters pen/glance tanks. I like to run him with bodyguards equipped with dual plasma and ATS.

the unit has awesome ability to completely remove the units special weapons and there for remove the threat or retaliation. I send this unit after the scariest unit/model the enemy has (unless its a land raider)

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2014, 00:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Commander + Bodyguard Plasma is absolutely fantastic for character and heavy infantry hunting. Since even the bodyguards are characters, you get 3.33 plasma hits from the commander, and 4 from the bodyguards that all precision shot 1/3 of the time. That means 2 - 3 wounds you get to place each turn on average. Not to mention AP2 doubling out T3 models. Missile pods will accomplish this at longer range but will give marines and terminators their armor save, but makes the unit more survivable on the whole as well as being more effective against vehicles on the whole. Either way, ATS is a fantastic reason to take bodyguards, particularly if you're facing dangerous beatstick commanders that prove hard to kill.

Another fun tactic that I know someone on here is a fan of, is Darkstrider with heavy weapons pathfinders. Darkstriker's structural analyser lets him and his unit count toughness as one lower for all purposes, including instant death. Add in a few rail rifles to a team of pathfinders, and you have a unit that can put out 6 shots at 15" that are AP1 and double out anything lower than T5. Did I mention they can outflank and scout re-deploy?

It's also fun to run them with a pulse accelerator drone, to make their carbines 24". Those can double out T3 models with Darkstriker's ability, and basically gives you assault bolters. This would be a unit that would work great in a devilfish, but also in outflanking and initial deployment depending upon how close that can get them to their target. Darkstrider is what can really make heavy weapon pathfinders shine, but that unit is obscenely squishy for how much it costs. Still makes a great support unit with enough carbines, so I'd run it with Darkstrider, a pulse drone, and 7 pathfinders, 3 with rail rifles. Gives you the 9 man leadership threshold, 6 S6 shots at 15", 10 S5 shots at 24", and still averages 2.83 markerlight hits if nothing else is in range. Clocks in a about 240 pts though, so definitely not something to use when facing lots of cover ignoring weapons.

Personally I don't really like the buffmander, but using him with a Riptide is about the only way it's always going to be beneficial. Not to mention making that unit decently powerful in assault (for Tau anyway). Another amusing commander tactic is to run a list with a burst cannon commander, and a team of piranhas. Commander thusly: Burst Cannon x2, Drone Controller, VRT, Iridium, Onager, 2 Shield Drones. Drop the Gun Drones off the Piranha Squadron, and join the commander to them since they drop all together in one unit. If you do this with 5 Piranhas, not only have you just produced a more or less free 140pt unit, you also have a unit that will produce 26 S5 AP5 hits against anything within 18". Instant mulch for GEQ units. With 8" - 24" of movement depending on run and thrust move rolls, it's pretty mobile too. Hilarious to use in Enclave lists in place of Firewarriors.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2014, 14:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you can use Forgeworld go with O'Ra'Lai... he is such a beast that your opponent will do anything to kill him. He's especially good if you field riptides because he takes some of the flack off them.
Old 04 Mar 2014, 14:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I never thought he was that tough looking on paper, personally. What's he do?
Old 04 Mar 2014, 16:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

T5, 3++ invulnerable outside of 12" and a kick ass gun that fires assault 2 haywire/S9AP3 or a regular troop killing large blast. He comes with 2 marker drones too. I found him to be a great tank hunter or horde murderer depending on what's needed. Durable as well as he is easily hidden.
Old 04 Mar 2014, 23:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's the majority T4 and the ban from joining units that makes him awkward for me. :/
Old 05 Mar 2014, 09:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

The way I see it majority T4 is only a problem if you are exposing him to small arms fire. The games I've played with him most weapons shot at him are S7+ making the T value irrelevant. Sure he can't buff units but you should definitely proxy him in a game sometime. I think his power comes from versatility rather that being outright broken. I used him to either mop up stragglers or open transports.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 10:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Might give him a go. My main concern is that people in my meta tend to deal with tough stuff by drowning it in small arms fire. :/
Old 05 Mar 2014, 10:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you use him like a sniper and hug cover then you can often only expose him to what you want. I actually used distraction carnifex techniques with a couple of riptides which seemed to take the flack off him a bit. Definitely give him a go just treat him like an uber shooty commander and he'll do you proud!