Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Finishing an Army - Units You Like?
Old 15 Feb 2014, 14:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Finishing an Army - Units You Like?

Hey guys,

So I just recently bought up a few more models, and I've hit some of the targets I had originally set for my army. Most of this was purchased off ebay, so it's in various stages of painting and completion. I have more than enough to work on for awhile, but I was hoping you guys could help me with planning for the future.

As of now, I haven't played outside of friendly matches, and my models won't be tournament ready anytime soon. I doubt I'll be seeing any apoc matches at all either, and at most might be playing in some of those 2000+ point matches that seem to be fairly popular. I have enough to do most match sizes I've seen battle reports for but I wanted to see if there's a unit someone else likes using that I don't have the models for.

This is a quick summary of what I have:

Special Characters:

Longstrike
Shadowsun
Farsight

HQ:

Ethereal
Generic Crisis Commander x2

Troop:

48 Firewarriors
3 Devilfish
14 Crisis suits (for Enclaves, otherwise Elites)

Elites:

6 XV15 Stealth
6 XV25 Stealth
2 Riptides

Fast Attack:

14 Pathfinders
5 Piranhas
2 Tetras

Heavy Support:

2 Hammerhead
1 Skyray (Switched from 1 magnetized devilfish)
1 Sniper Drone Team (3 marksman, 7 sniper drones)
3 Broadsides

Fortification:

Aegis Line

It's just over 4k points now, but I'm undecided on what else I might need. Any suggestions?

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2014, 17:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You could always try out more Forgeworld, see how the Hazard suits handle, or the R'varna.

I see you don't have any Kroot! I wasn't interested much in them when I started out, but I've become a big fan.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2014, 23:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Kroot and Cadre Fireblades are the only ones I can think of...
Old 16 Feb 2014, 17:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

you could get some vespid...... incase they ever get good. it might be fun to start up an allied force to use as auxillaries, Think Imperial Guard. or you could do some converting, guardsmen firewarriors are popular. im doin some guard snipers as sniperdrones

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2014, 20:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've been struggling to find good Storm Trooper-esque models from 3rd party model manufacturers for Vespid.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 14:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Forge world Elysians with grav chutes

Old 17 Feb 2014, 15:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, I think that got mentioned on the Vespid thread. I'll probably grab some early next month.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 23:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for the suggestions guys, really appreciate it.

I had found a conversion tutorial for firewarrior Cadians, and I'm strongly considering it. Even if I just run them as 'counts as' Kroot, I'd be fun to make some fire warriors into Gru'vesa meatshields. I am desperately trying to avoid having to paint kroot, or really any more infantry models if I can get away with it. They always take me a very long time to get right, and I've got quite a bit of work still to do on some suit teams.

Not really considering vespids anytime soon. Most codices have something bad, and they are the hole in our 6th edition codex. Well that and the fliers. Because I mean really, the Tau don't already have enough issues with survivability? The R'varna might be something I get in the future, it looks shiny even if it's punch has been downgraded recently. Does anyone have experience with hazard suits? I've looked at the FW crisis suits just to have cool models, but I've largely stayed away from it out of their ridiculously high cost.

Also, any suggestions for an allied army? Long term I might start another army of some kind, but it would be nice to run one that I could use as allies in the meantime. Guard look solid, but I hear their 6th codex should be showing up before too long. Eldar seem very different from our playstyle, but still very shooty. Anyone have any experience with them?

Incidentally, I happened to find a seller on ebay who does custom terrain pieces and takes commissions for individual designs. Just quoted me on a Fortress or Redemption with a Tau theme, for $40 dollars. Working with the exact same dimensions and layout, it'd be so close in function it could easily stand in even in a tournament I think. This is a link to their store on ebay if anyone else is interested in commissioning something.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/thenexxt

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2014, 02:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

i have space Marines as my secondary army, I started them in fifth cause I wanted something just a bit easier to play, and had some more all around to it. lucky for me tau and Space marines ended up being battle brothers. guard can be good, giving a nice battle line with heavy tanks to opperate around, would go even better with Farisight enclaves. their also pretty easy to get plenty of bodies with how their platoons are set up, and how most of thier vehicles are squadron-able, (the important ones any way., being leman russ/basliks, and valkyries/vendettas) though they would have LOTS of infantry models unless you went with veteran squads. which i wouldn't suggest, as we got better troops at cheaper costs

Old 18 Feb 2014, 05:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Eldar are probably the best choice considering how synergistic they can be with us. Bring a Warlock Council (which I believe is a free FOC choice depending on your HQ) and split the Warlocks up between all the Troops to buff them with psychic shenanigans. Eldar jetbikes are pretty much the best mobile scoring unit in the game, while Warp Spiders are just Nasty with the amount of heavy firepower they can throw down. People complain about Tau being overpowered, but I honestly think Eldar have a more trollish codex. We just came first so everybody focused on us and remains "butthurt" over it.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote