Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG allies - worth it?
Old 07 Feb 2014, 16:53   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Question IG allies - worth it?

I was sitting and thinking in the middle of a boring English lesson, and I figured out what the Tau were missing - cheap, shooty swarm units, that are survivable enough to actually kill something, yet cheap enough to use as a meatshield for FWs to hide behind. So I did some more thinking, running the armies through my head: Orks? too fragile... Space Marines? too expensive... Then, I had a moment, and came up with the solution - Gue'vesa.

I just wanted to know what your opinions are, before I launch into anything.
Old 07 Feb 2014, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

IG allies can be useful in that way, as a firing line for your suits or vehicles to dig in behind. That said as allies you can only take two troops, on top of having to still take two in the main detachment. In addition while being not much tougher, Firewarriors do the gunline thing pretty darn well as far as troops go. Backed by an Ethereal and the only way it gets better is getting really good orders rolls out of your company command squad at just the right time. Theres a few guys in my meta that have IG models to ally with, and this is what I've picked up on thus far:

1) Squadroned Heavy Support

Basilisks can give you across-the-board barrage, something Tau sorely lacks. This is enough to keep even marines' heads down, and smack vehicles around with ordinance. Alternatively Russ' tanks can do things our hammerhead can't as well, particularly because they can fire all their weapons after moving 6". Great for an imposing forward presence to dominate lines of sight or draw fire with, and they can be customized to be effective against just about any combination of targets.

3) Squadroned Fast Attack

What is our codex shit at, I mean really garbage. That's right, fliers. Until 6th edition comes out, IG have probably the second best fliers in the game. Valkyries are good, Vendettas are amazing. A squadron of these can give you a great deal of lascannon fire wherever you need it, though they can't benefit from your markerlights. Not a bad way to take out your opponent's transports and light vehicles while letting your fusion blasters get up on top of their heavy things. They also make great anti-flier naturally, so no need to include skyrays or EWO suits that eat up points and unit slots. Not to mention they have transport capacity! Tossing a squad or two of veterans into vendettas is a great way to drop them onto an objective in the end game, or turn the flank on your enemy as if you were deepstriking troops.

3) Marbo.

Guardsman. F*cking. Marbo. Look him up. Just do it.

4) Tanks + Farsight Bomb

Spending points on tanks instead of devilfish can giving you a very mean wall of armor with IG allies. But in addition, it's better to keep those battle/ion cannon, submunitions, plasma sponsons, and siege cannons focused on wiping clusters of infantry, big nasty MC's, and all but the heaviest vehicles. For those, you call in farsight. Bringing a combination of plasma and fusion with him will make them a potent threat against vehicles and heavy infantry alike, and the lack of scatter on that deepstrike can put you directly behind, and in melta range of your opponent's tank(s). Target locking 2 / 3 suits means that team could wipe two heavy tanks with a good deployment. Then farsight jets off to go HQ hunting while your russes clean up and walk your firewarriors onto their objectives.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2014, 18:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

the whole 2 troops thing is a bit.... pointless if your talking about basic gaurdsmen. they can take 5 squads plus a command squad plus 3 heavy and 3 special weapon squads... for one slot.....

oh and all those squads can take chimera's as transports

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2014, 20:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

More what I meant is that you have up to two IG troop slots, but you still need to fill both of the required Tau troop slots as well. The most inexpensive way to fill those is with small teams on foot, but they perform the same way to IG gunline troops anyway. You could then use them as a mobile objective capture unit, but veterans can fill that role fairly easily and for less money overall. You could combine gunline and kroot, that wouldn't be a bad choice though. I don't know, I've never seen anything about combining the troops in the other two ways that describes it as beneficial.

Orks are the flood.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 03:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, IG allies are definitely worth it, it really comes down to play style.

The blob can make for great objective holders/swarmers, while your FW's handle the much more important job of eliminating any resistance.
Also as a edit for your original post, orks are NOT fragile when you compare them to guard.
They get the toughness advantage for merely one point more, whilst the prospect of being attacked by a squad of orks is much more scary then a couple of guardsmen.

Other reasons to take guard:
Cheap tanks (capable of handling a wide variety of foes)
Friggin Melta stormtroopers > these pricks are the poor mans suicide sternguard unit.
Valkyrie - This thing is beast. 3 TL-Lascannons? Yes please.
Marbo - Chuck him in for the lulz

Shas'O T'au M'yen Korst'la (Tau Commander Deathbringer): 2500
Warboss Gartug 'eadcrusha: 1500 gone
(Dark Angels 'dex)Company master tharim: 1000

Soon to be started:
Lost and the Damned
Gue'vesa Regiment
Sublimemule8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2014, 18:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

the vendetta has the lascannons, its on par with the helldrake as the most deadly flyer in the game, the Valkyrie is mediocre, but cheep for 12 12 10

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2014, 20:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This Codex is gunna be updated very soon, so I wouldn't buy a Guard detachment just yet. All eyes are on the Vendetta getting nerfed to hell in order to balance the bugger.

I personally don't see what Guard do that we can't do at least comparably. Then again, the new Codex should bring some new toys to change things up.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 07:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Guard do make excellent meat shields. Even our kroot blobs don't come close to the sheer number of wounds in a maxed out IG troop choice. When I ally with guard (which is to say, I don't take them as an allies detachment because I don't do allies... but rather when I play doubles matches with a guard player) I always enjoy having such a giant meat shield to keep my expensive stuff safe and sound.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2014, 08:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I often prefer quality over quantity, but then, it's hard to resist the idea of a horde of Guardsmen swarming around tanks. :P
Old 28 Feb 2014, 23:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The long and short of this is, just wait for the codex. IG has been on the codex chopping block for awhile, and it's no secret there SHOULD be a release soon. It could have some substantial changes, particularly to units that seem too powerful right now. No point in spending good money on something that might get nerfed or changed in the next few months.

Orks are the flood.