Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

500 point beginner army
Old 02 Feb 2014, 21:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 500 point beginner army

So i recently started playing the "greater good" and decided to start small with 500 points, this is what i came up with any help and,or criticism is greatly appreciated

500 point tau army

Commander 85

Body Guards 64

Tau Fire warriors 118

-upgrade one member to shas’ui - 10
-six additional fire warriors – 9 points each

Tau Fire warriors 108
-six additional fire warriors – 9 points each

Hammerhead 125
Parmazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2014, 02:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Unfortunately your Commander and his bodyguards don't have any weapons! The base cost for any crisis suit model is just for the model without any weapons or upgrades. There is a list of battlesuit weapon and support system costs just before the army list section, you'll have to choose what items you want to bring for each unit and pay accordingly.

I would advise not bringing a bodyguard unit and instead bringing a normal crisis team, since you will be needing that extra 20 points to throw around elsewhere. You will probably want to equip your Commander and suits with a mix of fusion blasters and/or plasma rifles, depending on what your regular opponents will be fielding.

You should decide for your Hammerhead whether you want to equip it with a Railgun or Ion Cannon. The railgun is lethal against all enemy armor, and the 5 point upgrade for submunition rounds will allow you to switch to a large blast template to deal with any troop mobs. The Ion Cannon is good against light vehicles, monstrous creatures and Space Marines, and the overcharge capability to fire a large blast will obliterate entire squads of power armored goons. Also, bringing the Disruption Pod upgrade is a must. That added cover and jink save will cover your ass more times than you could count.

In order to pay for these upgrades you'll need to slim down your Fire Warrior squads a bit, and that's okay. The smaller number of troops will be offset by the destructive capabilities of your suits and Hammerhead. Don't worry about bringing a Shas'ui, as it will likely be a waste of points.

You could try something like this and see how it goes. Comes out to 498 points.

Crisis Commander: 140 pts
Dual Plasma Rifles, Iridium Armor

Crisis Suit Team (2): 104 pts
Dual Fusion Blasters -or- Dual Missile Pods

Fire Warrior Squad (6): 54 pts
Pulse Rifles

Pulse Rifles

Hammerhead Gunship: 146 pts
Railgun, Submunitions, Disruption Pod, Blacksun Filter

If you don't expect to be going up against heavy armor, trade the Railgun for an Ion Cannon and use the extra 5 points for an upgrade with your crisis suits, such as a Target Lock.

If you feel like you need more troops but like having suits in your army, trade out your Commander for an Ethereal (or Cadre Fireblade) and augment your troop squads (or even bring another crisis suit).
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2014, 05:21   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thank you so much for your advice, i mainly face space marines so ill probably keep the submunitions, you help has been invaluable. Keep up the good work!
Parmazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2014, 05:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you're up against Space Marines a lot and aren't seeing Land Raiders, try out the Ion Cannon. It will lay waste to any marines caught out of cover.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2014, 12:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The list Wilderun's written up is a good foundation. I'd go for Missile Pods on the Crisis Suits, personally. You're not likely to see heavy armour, (in fact, with Land Raiders being ~250pts I'd say it'd be impossible to fit one in!)

I'd even consider giving them Plasma Rifle + Fusion Blaster, so then they'll do well against almost any target, and be more versatile. Take the Ion Hammerhead for melting squads of Space Marines, too, I personally love the Ionhead.

The 5pts you'll have spare can handily make one of your Crisis Suit's Plasma Rifles Twin-Linked. Don't bother with this on the Commander, he won't need it, but it can make you standard XV8 that little bit more shooty.
Old 05 Feb 2014, 04:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

If marines armies is what you end up facing most, and Ion Cannon on a Hammerhead will do you just fine. There are very few vehicles with armor better than AV12, most of which are expensive and hard to fit into 500 pts. It will also bring you an AP3 pieplate, taking the work of killing marine troop units off your own troops if needed.

Also, if you are in a group that is comfortable with proxying, consider running your HQ piece as Shadowsun in place of a Commander. She runs well with a bodyguard team, and her suit gives them all Stealth and Shrouded so you will never be without a 4+ cover save or better. Plus, whether you deepstrike her team or start them on the board, her 3D6 thrust move from her permanent warlord trait makes them faster to shift around the board.

Commander Shadowsun: 135 pts
Dual Fusion Blasters

Crisis Suit Team (2): 114 pts
Dual Plasma Rifles, Target Locks

Pulse Rifles

Pulse Rifles

Hammerhead Gunship: 141 pts
Ion Cannon, Disruption Pod, Blacksun Filter

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2014, 17:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

preds are just as cheap (if not less) and are rather easy to fit in. (115 for autocannon w/lasguns) and are av13 so ther railgun hammerhead would still be viable and useful. though with the 2 extra points he could add Advanced targeting on the commander. I also like wildrun's list cause its basic and gives him a good feel for how the army works without to many gimmicks that aren't universal to tau. though i would drop the 15 point from the D- pod and give it to the commander in the form of the Puretide engram neurochip.

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2014, 18:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Predator with lasguns? Scary. :P
Old 06 Feb 2014, 05:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

He means lascannons. But I'd say add an ion accelerator riptide, at 500 points they are an absolute beast if you can fit one in, as at that points level not alot can kill it easily. Plus it's damage output is insane.
GMAN25639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2014, 08:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Bit cheesy, though. That, and it only does okay given the lack of support for it.