Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1719 point tau army
Old 24 Jan 2014, 20:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 1719 point tau army

ive been working on a basic tau army, and ive come up with this. i played some tau mirror battles with it, very effective btw, but how well could it be against other armies, and what could it be good/weak against? (ps i might add 3 more stealthsuits and 2 more xv8s soon, so theyre not included.)

HQ (214pts)
Commander (214pts)

Crisis battlesuit, Cyclic ion blaster, 2x Missile pod, Onager Gauntlet, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Stimulant injector, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit
2x Shield Drone

Elites (286pts)
Stealth Team (152pts)
Gun Drone
Marker Drone
Stealth Shas'ui
Burst cannon, Stealth battlesuit (Shrouded, Stealth), Target lock
Stealth Shas'ui
Burst cannon, Stealth battlesuit (Shrouded, Stealth), Target lock
Stealth Shas'vre
Drone controller, Fusion blaster, Markerlight and target lock, Stealth battlesuit (Shrouded, Stealth)

XV8 Crisis Team (134pts)
Supporting Fire, Very Bulky
Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis battlesuit, Fusion blaster, Twin-linked plasma rifle
Crisis Shas'vre
Airbursting fragmentation projector, Crisis battlesuit, Plasma rifle, Stimulant injector

Troops (724pts)
Fire Warrior Team (241pts)

Bonding Knife Ritual (*), 9x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle, Photon grenades

Devilfish
Burst cannon, Disruption pod, 2x Seeker missile, Sensor spines, Two Gun Drones

Fire Warrior Shas'ui
Markerlight and target lock, Pulse rifle

Fire Warrior Team (169pts)
Supporting Fire
Bonding Knife Ritual (*), 11x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle, Photon grenades
Fire Warrior Shas'ui
2x Gun Drone

Fire Warrior Team (169pts)
Supporting Fire
Bonding Knife Ritual (*), 11x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle, Photon grenades
Fire Warrior Shas'ui
2x Gun Drone

Fire Warrior Team (145pts)
Fire Warrior Shas'ui

Fast Attack (437pts)
DX-6 'Remora' Drone Fighter Squadron (180pts)
DX-6 'Remora'

Blacksun filter, Networked markerlight, 2x Seeker Missile, Twin-linked long-barelled burst cannon

DX-6 'Remora'
Blacksun filter, Networked markerlight, 2x Seeker Missile, Twin-linked long-barelled burst cannon

Pathfinder Team (176pts)
Scouts, Supporting Fire
Photon grenades
7x Pathfinder Shas'la
7x Pulse carbine with Markerlight
Pathfinder Shas'la (ion)
Ion rifle
Pathfinder Shas'la (rail)
Rail rifle
Pathfinder Shas'ui
Blacksun filter, Rail rifle
Pulse Accelerator Drone

Piranhas (81pts)
Piranha
Disruption pod, Fusion blaster, 2x Seeker missile, Two Gun Drones

Heavy Support (58pts)
Sniper Drone Team (58pts)
Stealth, Supporting Fire
Firesight Marksman
3x Sniper Drone
3x Longshot pulse rifle
(Rai'xar roughly translates to 'cut off armor', thus 'rendmetal')

Skyfire Cadre: 1589 points
RendMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2014, 00:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Cool list and i don't doubt its effective. If you are not interested in constructive criticism then just skip the list below Assume anything I don't mention is doing well.

1) A squillion fire warriors and no ethereal? Mistake. Mistake. I'd write it more and place it in bold and such but I assume you understand. Ethereals are amazing with large numbers of warriors; they supply extra shots, stop them from running, look pretty; really you cannot go wrong with one. Its 50 points which we will easily be able to find in this list to spare

2) Drop the Bonding Knife rituals and the Shasui on all the fire warriors. This is about 100 wasted points which can be spent on ethereals and more guns. Bonding knife is only really worth it when you are going farsight enclaves; and only because you have to have it.

3) Drop the drones. Their extra toughness and manouverability is worth nothing in fire warrior squads, and so their extra points are wasted. The only time you should take them is when you have a cadre fireblade or darkstrider in the unit and you are looking for some extra shots on those force multipliers.

4) Whilst it could be fun to have him tooled out as is, the commander really doesnt need 3 S7 weapons that all do about the same thing. Drop out one of the three weapons of your choice, anything is good, and replace it with some other hard point, i.e. early warning override, velocity tracker, target lock or shield generator.

5) Love the Remora's, mainly because it means you are open to forgeworld. With this in mind, take Tetras. They are amazing. Amongst the most cost efficient markerlights available to us on a reasonably tough chasis; you cant go wrong. I would recommend moving stuff around so that you end up taking an allied farsight detatchment list so that you have an extra fast attack slot to put it in. This is mainly because I am not a fan of first blood pathfinders, but this is really up to you.

6) I personally feel that your pathfinder team is a very squishy deathstar with not a lot to recommend it. The things that the railrifles will be firing at will be inneffective with the burst cannons and ion weapons, and vis versu. With this in mind i'd lean towards taking it barebones. Furthermore much play testing has shown that all those drone upgrades you can get on pathfinders, whilst being fun, really are not worth their points. You want your markerlights to be as small a target as possible so that they can stay alive.

7) Love the sniper drone usage here as markerlights.

8) You only have 2 units that can handle vehicles, the stealth team and the piranha, both of which will die reasonably quickly in these points levels, and won't be awefully effective agaisnt vehicle spams. With this in mind perhaps add an extra piranha with the same loadout, but drop the seeker missiles, as they are a waste of points.

9) Consider taking a skyray; they serve as anti-air and anti-flyrant/MC, which I can promise you every list will have at least one of. They also supply a few extra delicious markerlight shots.

10) As you mentioned earlier, the crisis suits would definately help, either as fusion monats or plasma anti terminator units.

11) This is more speculative but perhaps consider a riptide? They usually draw a lot of fire and give some decent return, whilst providing a rock for your army to work around at a fairly low points cost. Again that's your call though.

I hope that some of this helps. You should have little problem grabbing mid-field objectives with the devilfish and infantry should be obliterated by the fire warriors; just watch out for long range gunlines and heavy tanks.
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2014, 02:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok thanks for the advice! will try and get ethereal, was considering swapping out ion blaster on rendmetal to a shield gen for added tankness, drones... have a LOT of spare drone models, so was finding a place for them. riptide... i kinda spend the last of my war-money on the pathfinders and assorted materials. actually got them pretty cheap, but the rest was not. will try and save up; but am also workign towards getting a tau battleforce. my friend is starting to get more into the game and was going to split, so there goes $84, and $69 for riptide, plus $19 for ethereal... price rising, but could scratchbuild and convert i guess. saves costs, and greenstuff press molds help with broken parts. also during the matches, i found that the opponent tended to try and kill rendmetal first, or my remoras and piranha, (seeker missile launchers for reason maybe?) so it generally allows me to sneak my pathfinders behind cover or tanks and light them up with rail rifles and markerlights. thanks for the help! may the greater good be with you!

Edit: i might convert some old human FW's into a cadre fireblade, my commander is human after all. (daft punk song)

Last edited by RendMetal; 25 Jan 2014 at 02:35.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 02:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

also a quick question, im a bit confused about the shield drone rules in 6ed, so they have to be in the way of enemy units, and they can do 'look out sir' rolls, is that correct? i also read on warseer that drone have the same toughness and armor save as the unit/squad theyre attached to, is that correct as well?

Old 25 Jan 2014, 06:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendMetal View Post
also a quick question, im a bit confused about the shield drone rules in 6ed, so they have to be in the way of enemy units, and they can do 'look out sir' rolls, is that correct? i also read on warseer that drone have the same toughness and armor save as the unit/squad theyre attached to, is that correct as well?
In our old codex drones assumed the characteristics of their attached model, but it is no longer the case. If the drones are in front of the Character, all wounds will be allocated to them first, almost assuredly wasting their use for invulnerable saves. They are best kept right behind the Character in order to Look Out, Sir any wounds that would void armor saves or cause instant death.

Your Crisis team seems rather confused. I would drop the Airbursting Fragmentation Projector in favor of another fusion blaster. You have plenty of fire warriors to handle anti-infantry duty. I would consider dropping your stealth team in favor of more crisis suits (two teams?) outfitted with either missiles, fusion or plasma, depending on the meta that is currently prevalent in your local gaming group.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2014, 11:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One thing I'd ask, more of a list writing than a list building thing, is if you could cut out unnecessary information in the list.

E.g., there's no need to mention that each, individual Stealth Suit has a Stealth Suit, that the Commander has a Crisis Suit, that Crisis Teams have Supporting Fire and Very Bulky. This information doesn't add anything to the list except extra words to chew through while we try and understand it.

In a nutshell, remove any mentions of standard-issue equipment and special rules. All but two non-Vehicle units in the Codex have Supporting Fire, you don't need to write it down.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 02:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderun View Post
Your Crisis team seems rather confused. I would drop the Airbursting Fragmentation Projector in favor of another fusion blaster. You have plenty of fire warriors to handle anti-infantry duty. I would consider dropping your stealth team in favor of more crisis suits (two teams?) outfitted with either missiles, fusion or plasma, depending on the meta that is currently prevalent in your local gaming group.

the current meta is space marines, mech tau, and nids; lots of nids. only tau players go up against me, the space marines and nids always seem to avoid other tau there. i was also thinking of outiftting the 2 other suits with Shield gen, missile pod and plasmarifle/fusion blaster.
an interesting side note is that tau are good against tau from what ive noticed.

List: cost: 1589
HQ: RaiXar
missile pod x2
shield gen
onager gauntlet
puretide neurochip
iridium armor
stim injector
x2 shield drone

Cadre Fireblade

Troops
x3 firewarrior squad, X12 rifle

firewarrior squad, x9 rifle
devifish, x2 seeker missile
disruption pod

Elites
crisis team
1: twin linked plasma
fusion blaster
2: missile pod
plasma rifle
stim injector

Stealth team
shas'ui x2
shas'vre
drone controller
fusion blaster

fast attack

piranha
fusion blaster
x2 seeker missiles

pathfinder
shas'la x7
rail x2
ion rifle
pulse drone

heavy support

sniper drone squad
(used as support for pathfinders, or as separate harassment unit.)

Old 26 Jan 2014, 14:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

a quick question, am i going overboard for my commanders defenses? like too much shields and armor?

Old 26 Jan 2014, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It depends on his role. Have him in front of a valuable squad tanking for them, and he won't be a waste.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 10:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

In your current loadout I would stick the commander in a unit of deathrain crisis with target locks and get some marker drones and a DC for the commander instead of the stims. This gives you more reliable markerlights and a unit that excels against light armour and MCs.

As has previously been stated multiples of FWs should have an ethereal otherwise they will be a let down as their Ld sucks a big one.

The pathfinders are ok but I would prefer to rely on markerlights from the deathrains as stated above and the sniper drone team but it is up to you.

You seem to have loads of toys on things which can be put to better use. In particular you have seekers on the piranha and devilfish which could be taken off and put towards a skyray as you obviously like seekers. This would give you some AA too. Shield drones are almost worthless with a beefy commander IMO. He already has a SG. Switch to marker drones instead.

If possible I would drop the pathfinders, piranha and seekers and get a skyray and a longstrike hammerhead. This would complement the list better I feel. You could probably pick up some nastily painted devilfish chasis on Ebay for cheap and proxy to see if the list suits you.