Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Planet Strike Tau
Old 24 Jan 2014, 09:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Planet Strike Tau

I am defending as Tau in a 2000pt planetstrike game against eldar. I have very little experience in planetstrike, such as setting up boards, choosing units etc. With this in mind, what are everyone's suggestions as to use of stratagems and setting up of defenses, terrain etc.
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2014, 10:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have no fricking idea...

Shoot people? I don't know how Planetstrike works...
Old 24 Jan 2014, 10:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Advice for fighting 2000 points of eldar would be useful as well
Old 24 Jan 2014, 10:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well their Infantry are fragile, but move fast. I'd recommend some Flamer Crisis teams to hunt them down, maybe with an Airbursting Frag to make them even more killy. It'll negate any cover and armour most Guardians and Dire Avengers have.

Wave Serpents re best dealt with by using mass S7. I personally always run:
Shas’O Commander
Dual Missiles, Shield Generator, Target Lock
Iridium Armour, PEN

3 Crisis Suits
Shas’Vre, CnCN, MSSS
Dual Missiles, Target Lock
Dual Missiles, Target Lock

They give me the ability to threaten up to three targets per shooting phase, and can hit and Glance pretty reliably. Wave Serpents should be glanced to death, that Serpent Shield makes penetration worthless. The Commander gives them the durability they need to stay standing by tanking fire. Fire Prisms also have pretty weak armour, and you can glance them to death given Tank Hunter.

This squad will also be useful for putting Wounds down on Wraithknights. Pity Missile Pods aren't AP3, but then they'd be an auto-take.

On top of that, I'd say Kroot are handy for both able to put out cheap fire to mop up Troops, along with Sniper fire to put hurt on Wraith units. Lots of Markerlights, too.

One build I wanna try is Piranhas with Seekers. They'll be 56pts a pop, but they can move 12", and use Markerlights to put 6 Seekers on a target, while hiding out of LoS. Next turn, move up 6" and drop Drones for harassment, or 12" and start shooting something. Eldar move fast, so you'll probably only need 6".

Piranhas also have the maneuverability to get behind Serpents and gun them in the rear. Serpent shield doesn't cover rear armour, so you can get good odds of killing it via Glance or Pen. Most Eldar also don't have the Strength of fire or CQC to even scratch a Piranha's paintwork, and the Drones could be very annoying if used well.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 17:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

the big thing with planetstrike is you get to do all the terrian. this includes bastions, ageis lines, mine fields forests all that. but they get orbital bombardments. I would suggest putting a bunch of the force in reserve, plus maybe put two bastions with sniper drone teams with max marksmen. dont put anthing that can be insta-gibed out in the open.

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2014, 19:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

First off: You'll want a Sniper team, or team(s). Eldar MC's have absurd toughness and generally wounds, and these will enable you to put more of your higher strength weapons on the vehicles that might effectively break up a firing line or sucker punch your own vehicles. Also a good source of spread-out markerlights if they have nothing to shoot at, as well as being able to pick off their lightest infantry at extreme range with no armor saves.

After that, Missile pods are your friend. Toughest Eldar vehicle armor is 12, so these will not only have decent effect on their tanks, but more particularly their transports because wave serpents have to be glanced to death. Those S7 weapons hit a sweet spot for us in having high shot output while still having good effect against all of their vehicles (12 for most, 10 for some) Ion Cannons / Accelerators can help out here, but because every vehicle is a fast skimmer, jink saves mean you'll want more shots than less. Fortunately S7 is still very effective against them.

As far as non-vehicles are concerned, 2+ armor doesn't abound, but some units can take it / have a sergeant in the unit that can. However they have almost no multi-wound infantry, and even HQ pieces are usually T3 - 4. The Ion Cannon / Accelerator pie plates are still going to be fantastic for wiping infantry units, particularly if you can interceptor their deepstrikes, as well as against bikes; which brings me to...

Eldar Jetbikes: Also known as "Dear jesus get them off me!" Their troop and fast attack variants are most dangerous to infantry and vehicles respectively. They can really ruin your day, so killing them with pie plates at extreme range, or a wall of fire at medium range is largely the only way to keep them from killing something. These units move absurdly fast, and will probably not mind closing with Tau since we suck at assault anyway.

'Dat Battle Focus: Quite a few units have this, allowing them to shoot then run, or run then shoot in any shooting phase. Most infantry weapons are fairly short ranged compared to equivalent guard or tau weapons, but this extra movement can enhance their threat range and / or make them more survivable with JSJ. Pretty much everything they have on foot is fleet as well, so their run / charge ranges will be on the high end of dice rolls more often than not. It's generally going to be a bad idea to try and engage them within rapid fire ranges, unless you're fairly certain that extra firepower will wipe the unit. Their low toughness means pulse weapons will be wounding almost everything infantry on 2+ so overwatch can have decent effect should they get so close.

Psyker Powers: Their codex powers lists are very utility based, and have a wide variety of uses. Take a look over them, facing eldar means there's a good chance psykers will be everywhere. The HQ unit Warlock Council can basically place mastery 1 psykers in most of his units if he spends the points. They're cheap, grant a variety of useful buffs or nerfs to your units. Said nerfs have limited range however, so expect to see him buffing with them more often than not. This is kind of Eldar's thing, so if you have some units that have precision shot (snipers, HQ, suits with ATS) remember it, put those 6-to-hit's on the psyker!

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2014, 23:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks a lot both of you for your advice, it is entirely solid.
On top of what has already been said, I was contemplating spamming fire warriors, 6 full squads of 12 with several ethereals backing them up, and then making the board small. This may be a mistake, but on the other hand it negates eldar range and gaurentees that all their guys are smack bang in the firing line with no form of cover.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 01:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I can definitely say from the ridiculous number of pinning weapons Eldar can employ, not to mention their close combat proficiency compared to Tau, that a large number of troops in a gunline is a good idea, and that the Ethereal's aura abilities and leadership bubble are an absolute must. Aun'Va would be a pretty funny HQ choice since he can cast 2 powers at once and lets all Tau units on the BOARD re-roll all failed morale, leadership, pinning, and fear rolls. Not to mention his fixed warlord trait could easily let you go to ground with all units in range of him behind an aegis line or something, then the next turn use it's one off to have them all move and shoot normally. Sticking him in a devilfish behind the line is a good way to solve his survivability problem, and extend his power range a little.

I don't know how small of a board you were thinking, but Eldar have a few barrage weapons in the 24 - 48" range, some direct fire blasts between 48- 60", and the fire prism's lowest firing profile is 60" S5 AP3 large blast. Small might pull those units into the 36 - 60" range to make them easier to kill, but at risk of having your big firing line minced by some combination of cover or armor mitigating weapons. Riptides would be a golden counter to these, 72" range, enough shots or enough strength depending on profile to be a big threat, while being fast enough to reposition to or behind the line if it gets in trouble. Longstrike would be good to take in an Ionhead for the same reasons, as well as his rather nice overwatch ability if he's well positioned to support the line. A handful of seeker missiles could easily take his place for anti-vehicle duty, but getting markerlights on vehicles that can largely outrange them can be somewhat difficult.

Another thing, Distortion weapons are very much bad news for us. All AP2 with a wide variety of ranges and implementations, and have instant death if they roll 6 to wound. They also auto-pen if they roll 6 to penetrate, so keeping the blasted things away from your vehicles, but also your riptides is an absolute must. Monofiliment and Shuriken weapons have a similar rule, resolved at AP1 and AP2 respectively. Not to mention the Monofiliment's strength bump against low or no initiative models, making them fairly deadly against vehicles and tough infantry alike. Crisis suits will largely get the shit kicked out of them, as will Riptides if these kinds of weapons get enough shots in. They are a special kind of shooty that makes it incredibly important for the big expensive models of our army to not stray from the protective bubble of mass pulse rifle / missile pod / markerlight shots.

A Riptide or two would be good takes, as well as a broadside team / deathrain team or some combination. Ionheads will be good for anti-vehicle, though Railhead submunitions will be equally as effective against mass infantry targets. A Skyray would probably be a good take as well, those seekers using markerlight hits can be great against any vehicle because of ignores cover even if no fliers show up. Because they have very few ignores cover weapons outside barrage, piranhas and devilfish will nom their infantry fairly well and offer better protection on the whole than fixed cover does. If you think he would have an easy time keeping distance on you with vehicles, consider running a crisis team / crisis commander with markerlights and bringing them in via deepstrike. If you can drop them in close enough to light a vehicle a few times, tossing a few cover ignoring-non-line of sight-needing seekers at it would be a fantastic way of taking something out without having to put that lighting unit terribly close. And, after firing they can attempt to thrust move into some cover or out of line of sight.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2014, 03:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm currently looking at fielding 3 riptides with several HYMP Broadsides in groups of 3. I plan on having three fire bases, each in a corner of the board, with crisis suits prepared to counter deepstrike. The reason I am apprehensive about fire warriors is two fold. Firstly, I am expecting several swooping hawk units, which would decimate a gunline, and secondly with the limited fast attack slots i anticipate an inability to place down large amounts of markerlight support in the form of tetras. With this in mind I am aiming to field units that are largely solitary, such as broadsides and riptides. In addition I plan on loading all of these up with EWO so as to decimate key targets such as wraithguard, then go to ground behind aegis' the next turn for the return fire.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 07:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not the most fun or honourable list, but I imagine it'll be effective. Main issue I can see is that Eldar might end up outmanoeuvring you, and using their Lance weaponry to cut down or suppress your Broadsides. That and Mindshock Pods would be very effective at giving your gunline some grievances...