Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights explained...
Old 22 Jan 2014, 12:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Markerlights explained...

Hello,

Another thread on the rules of Markerlights! I'm a new Tau player and want some definitive Markerlight rules please as I have had a look online and their are a lot of contractions.

This is how I wanted to play Markerlights (explained very simply)

I have some Pathfinders & Tetras. They hit things with Markerlights. My sky ray, at the back of the table, fires 1 seeker per token on the Markerlights that have been placed by the Patherfinders etc.

Is that correct?

I was doing some reading and it came a trend that the unit firing marker lights must have Seekers. So the Skyray can only fire missiles if its used its own marker lights.

How does missiles attached to Devilfish and Broadsides work aswell then? I'm slightly confused. Someone dumb this down for me.
holy_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2014, 14:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can get all sorts of units that create Markerlights. Drones, Pathfinders and Skyrays are the most common ones.

A unit that fires Markerlights can't use the Markerlight tokens created. Any other that shoots at that unit, can, though. They can use them to increase their Ballistic Skill, Ignore Cover, or fire a Seeker Missile.

The Skyray is unique in that it has a Networked Markerlight, meaning that it can use any Markerlight tokens it creates to buff itself, as well as other units. Any unit carrying a Seeker Missile may fire it using a Markerlight token, but they have to fire their other weapons at the same target.

That said, Seeker Missiles are pretty meh at best. They have uses, but the points are often better spent elsewhere.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 14:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

OK mate,

So my scenario is accurate correct? I can use pathfinders to place marker lights on a target, and my sky ray can fire seekers at it from behind cover, without LOS etc.

Correct?
Old 22 Jan 2014, 14:45   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I read somewhere that to fire seekers from the sky ray using marker light tokens, it has to be THEIR marker lights not other units.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 16:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nope, any Markerlights. How can it fire its Markerlights at something out of LoS?

The poster may have meant that if you fire the Seekers from it, you won't be able to fire the Markerlights if the target is out of LoS.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 20:11   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Right so let me just clarify;

My pathfinders hit an enemy unit with 3 marker lights. My SkyRay then can fire the 3 seekers from wherever it is at it?

Can my skyray fire some seekers at one unit, then somewhere at a next?

Last edited by holy_k; 22 Jan 2014 at 20:16.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 20:18   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It was this article; (http://fromthefang.blogspot.co.uk/20...s-sky-ray.html)

The Sky Ray is always touted in the fluff as an anti-air platform and by giving it a velocity tracker, GW has at least paid lip service to this. Sadly the rules for seekers mean that (despite the description in the fluff on p.51) only the Sky Ray can fire its missiles. In the past a Sky Ray could be hidden behind a building and a unit could use markerlights to fire missiles off. Now the description of markerlights says something like, "can fire seeker missiles if it has any".
Old 22 Jan 2014, 22:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The guy who wrote this explanation is high. Of course you can only fire seeker missiles if you have them, they are one use only. But with regards to markerlights it does not matter what originally had the seeker missile, so long as somewhere within 72" there is one on a vehicle (and that vehicle is firing at the same target or not at all)
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2014, 02:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_k View Post
Right so let me just clarify;

My pathfinders hit an enemy unit with 3 marker lights. My SkyRay then can fire the 3 seekers from wherever it is at it?
Yes, that is correct.

Quote:
Can my skyray fire some seekers at one unit, then somewhere at a next?
No. A vehicle must fire all weapons, including seekers missiles, at a single target. However, the phrasing of the rule does not specifically prohibit seeker missiles being fired off of Broadsides at one target while the Broadsides target another unit. This does need to be clarified in the FAQ though, along with a whole butt load of other topics. My feeling is that this is probably not legal, however, since who is using the markerlight if not the Broadsides, and they of course cannot target multiple units in one shooting phase. Games Workshop is absolutely terrible at writing well explained rules, not to mention condensing all relevant elements of a rule into a single entry.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2014, 11:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've actually come round to the idea of seeker recently. If they're on broadsides then they can snipe vehicles out of LOS with tank hunter through either a PEN chip or the formation. On sky rays they can be used to zap an annoying IC or MC that needs to be got rid of. The best kill I got off a single seeker was a jetbike autarch with the mantle... slay the warlord was just too easy!