Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forgeworld options
Old 16 Jan 2014, 12:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Forgeworld options

Now that the flood gates are open on Forgeworld in my local meta I'm thinking of expanding into unknown territory. I've particularly got my eye on tetras as I feel that they provide the missing link in terms of additional markerlight support. The other stand out for regular games seems to be the barracuda. This flier seems to do everything that the codex fliers should do except it is much cheaper.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience using Forgeworld in standard games and if so what would they recommend in a regular TAC force?
Old 16 Jan 2014, 12:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The ones I particularly like are Tetras, Barracudas and Remoras.

Tetras are excellent as they're Twin-Linked Markerlights that can move up to 12", so they can really aid in getting the support wherever you need it. I love them, and daily I try and wear the locals down 'til FW is allowed. :P

Barracudas are nice and cheap, equivalent to a flying IonHead but with Missile Pods and some handy Burst Cannons as well. It's quite balanced by its fragility, IMO. AV of our Codex Fliers, but only two hull points! BS4, though, so handy in that regard. Markerlight a Space Marine squad and it'll do nicely. The Ion Cannon isn't turreted, though, so it's more mobile but less flexible.

Remoras I like because they just seem fun, if a bit overpriced. They cost the same as 3 Stealth Suits, and come with Stealth/Shrouded, two Heavy 6, 36" Burst Cannons, two Seeker Missiles, and a Networked Markerlight.

What's great about them is that they get a 4+ Cover save without Evading, (goes to a 2+ if they do!) They can also Squadron up to 5, and the Networked Markerlights mean that the more you have in the squad, the more accurate each one becomes, which is cool for a Swarm AI feel.

They're good for Air Patrolling, but not so much for hard-hitting fire. A few of them will beat our Codex Fliers IMO.

Last edited by CoffeeGrunt; 16 Jan 2014 at 12:48.
CoffeeGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2014, 13:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Do you find that the tetras work best with D-pods or Sensor Spines or do you usually run them as stock?

I had the same thoughts about the barracuda, it seems to fit the bill really well for anti-flier and MEQ.

My local has suddenly converted to an anything goes setting with everyone cranking up the cheese to 11... It truly gives escalation it's meaning around here!
Old 16 Jan 2014, 13:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I ran Tetras as stock, or with Sensor Spines. Don't want them being too pricey.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 13:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

How survivable do you find them? I'm not sure if I would run them with a unit of piranhas for target saturation or just try to hide them as much as possible!
Old 16 Jan 2014, 15:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

They're fairly fragile, Bolters are able to kill them on 6s, with only a 5+ and 2HP.

However, I find that if you're aggressive, they're not often the main target. They definitely do best as fast-relocating backfield support.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 00:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I personally agree with coffee grunt with regard to Tetras. They are too cheap to be focused early, their skimmer frames making it a real pain to take them down when they remain at 36" and their maneuverability is great. The homing beacon is also fantastic, as they can double as crisis suit support. To top it off they are fairly reliable so you really can't go wrong without it.

Barracudas and Remoras are also reasonable for the aforementioned reasons, however I find them slightly too flimsy for my own liking, especially given you are going up against enemy forge world flyers if you use them.

Only thing I wanted to add was to consider the R'varna, bearing in mind that the rules are only experimental at the moment and so you run the risk of it being disallowed or nerfed. It is in my opinion one of, if not, the best things in the game. Its practically invincible and if you get a single Novacharge off combined with ignores cover markerlight the entire enemy deployment position is dead. It will one hit a squad of 3 carnafexes at once with ease, on average take 2 hullpoints from a landraider, and obliterate absolutely everything on foot, horde or MEQ. Classic forgeworld marketing strategy. Bearing this in mind, I proxied it once for a game, and ever since its been banned in my local gaming circle, with good reason. With this in mind it might be a wasted purchase.

*edit* You say that everything goes? Bring 3 of these bad boys, some anti 2+ save crisis suits and some anti air with a few tetras thrown in, gg
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2014, 08:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I personally wouldn't run the R'varna out of principle, but then my meta isn't all that competitive.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 10:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Indeed, it's a bit of a nightmare here at the moment as all of the old beardy players who play apocalypse are completely raping all the noobs with titans and experimental FW. To be honest I don't want to blow my monthly pay packet on a bunch of R'Varnas although it would be great to annihilate some of my opponents. I'm more looking to plug some gaps in my lists and some of the FW stuff looks appealing.

I was considering the barracuda due to it's flexibility. It's essentially a mini sky ray/ionhead/quad gun that can fulfill many roles. I guess it does seem a little on the fragile side though!
Old 17 Jan 2014, 11:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think the problem with beardy players doing that, is that it'll drive away a lot of fresh blood. New players are what keeps a meta interesting.