Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Forgeworld options
Old 17 Jan 2014, 16:35   #11 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Heads up, the R'varna got nerfed hard:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Download...a15-1-2014.pdf

- Loss of AP3 to AP4: This is huge, this takes it from effective AP fire to saturation fire.
- Invuln 4-5: A nerf, but negligible. Is does mean sniper fire and other AP2 attacks will be far more effective.
- Volley fire working like EWO: Risk a over charge to fire twice? but nothing next round? I would see it as worth it on the last shot it gets before being charged. Painfull.
- The FNP addition is interesting, but makes sense.
- Support system loss. No EWO?
Old 17 Jan 2014, 17:18   #12 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ouch... poor old R'Varna sure took a punch to the knackers! I knew it would happen though and it will spite all of the cheesemongers who bought 3 over the last few months

I notice that it can't take FNP against Nova charging either which is weird! It still looks boss against vehicles but not so hot against MEQ any more. The double shots is useless unless you need to blow your load on a single big unit. Otherwise I would rather just use 2 pie plates a turn.

It seems to me that making these experimental rules is a cash grab as everyone will buy them while they rock and then nerf them to hell once the initial splash has died down. Mighty clever GW you evil empire you...

Last edited by Arufel87; 17 Jan 2014 at 17:25.
Arufel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2014, 19:12   #13 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm not surprised, there's nothing in FW Tau that is fantastic. Most of it either just looks cool, or is fluffy.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 22:34   #14 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank god about the Rvarna. Its about time, and I am glad. That being said its still good against not MEQ armies, i.e. Eldar. Thanks for that Coffee. The problem with it was I felt that it trivialised the whole game; if i took one I would win, whilst if i didnt it would be a fun game. Such a stupid decision to have to make, thus making it impossible to take for moral reasons outside of cheesematches, as this thread stipulates against.
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2014, 11:19   #15 (permalink)
Shas'La

The new R'Varna still has a place IMO. They are still great against parking lots and mass low armoured troops. All the update did was make the choice less easy which is perfectly fine in the name of balance.

I'm going to try 2 squads of 4 tetras with 2 skyrays soon. It's both fluffy and I hope effective too but we'll see.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 12:09   #16 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't under stand that though? Why all these markerlights for seeker missiles? If the skyray doesn't move it can use its networked markerlights to boost its bs to 5 and then just fire all its missiles without the need for individual call ins. Or am i missing something?
Old 18 Jan 2014, 12:47   #17 (permalink)
Shas'La

Because this way you have options in case your opponent avoids line of sight. Also I often find that I can't get the skyray's lights in range without moving. This way you can effectively snipe backfield holders or heavy support such as artillery, devastator squads etc. I was also thinking of fielding alongside 2 riptides who would also benefit from the lights when the rays have blown their load. It's a much more scalpel approach to using seekers and probably requires a field test but it should work in principal.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 12:25   #18 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Seekers dumb-fired don't get Ignores Cover or Ignore LoS.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 22:16   #19 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

@CoffeeGrunt: 3 Markerlights and the skyray is hitting on 2's, ignoring cover. Assuming you can't see even the tiniest model, you are paying 3 markerlight hits for ignores line of sight. I guess this just comes down to the board and where you deploy, so i guess if you deploy defensively then this is a reasonable cost, however on the other hand you are paying for 6 extra markerlights (bs3 average) which is the equivalent of another fast attack choice; and afterwards you need to justify the existence of the lights.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 22:28   #20 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I personally think that firing off all the Seekers in one volley is wasteful. They're a support asset more than anything.