Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Point Competitive List
Old 14 Jan 2014, 17:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default 1500 Point Competitive List

Started playing Tau. Been building lists for a while now and this one has stuck. There are some flaws but its tough for points

What you all think? Appreciate thoughts and suggestions. My list comes in at 1499.

HQ
Commander (MSS & PEN) - 120 points

ELITES
Riptide with 1 shielded missile drone (Stimulant Injector & VT) - 265 Points
2 x XV8 (3 shield drones) with TL Plasma, Missile Pod and Shield Generator. - 200 Points
1 x XV8 (2 shield drones) TL Fusion, Missile Pod, Stimulate Injector and Shield Generator

TROOPS
FW x 6 - 54 Points
FW x 6 - 54 Points
FW x 6 - 54 Points
FW x 6 - 54 Points

FAST ATTACK
Pathfinder Teams (4) - 44 points
2 x Tetras - 100 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead (Blacksun and Disruiption Pod) - 141 Points
Sky Ray - (Blacksun) 116 Points
2 x XV88 with 3 Sheild Drones (both with Early Warning Override)
holy_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2014, 08:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Your Troops seem fragile, it only takes two deaths to prompt a test on them. They'll have little to no ability to push up the field and capture other Objectives.

It's not worth putting a Shield Drone on the Riptide. 25pts for an extra Wound is handy, but it causes a Leadership test when it dies.

Your XV8s are illegal, they're only allowed 3 items, and Twin-Linked weapons count as two of them. Shield Generators aren't worth the points on them, you're paying more than double the base price for a 4++ Invuln. It's never worth it when a Krak Missile can still take them out in one shot.

You're best running Crisis Suits with two of the same weapon, as mix 'n' match builds are a jack of all trades, master of nothing deal. Dual Plasma is best here, as you have Broadsides to cover the Transport-wrecking.

Tetras are now 35pts each, but their Markerlight is only Heavy 2, Twin-Linked. They also get no Disruption Pods as standard.

What weapon have you taken on the Hammerhead? If it's the Railgun, Submunitions are a must. Skyrays don't need Blacksun, their weapons Ignore Cover anyway.

What weapon are the 88s carrying?

Overall it doesn't seem like a bad list, just one that's stuck in 5th Edition a bit. Troops win games now, so they're worth investing in. You can't hope to win through tabling.

Also, never make a Crisis suit cost more than 50pts or so, otherwise you'll never see them make it back on the table.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 08:16   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I'm new to 40K. When the drones die on the riptide they have to take a Leadership?!? That doesn't seem right!

How are the XV8's illegal with a Twin Linked Plasma and Single Missle Pod? 3 items right? But if a Krak missile did hit, wouldn't I still be allowed to take the invuls I paid for?

Where can I get the rules on Tetras? All the material I have read have said they are heavy 4 and 50 points a piece with DP standard.

88's are carrying TL Heavy Rail Rifles and the Hammerhead is as you described.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
When the drones die on the riptide they have to take a Leadership?!? That doesn't seem right!
Two models in the unit. If you take casualties over 25%, you have to take a Leadership test. So if a Drone dies, you have to take Leadership.

Quote:
How are the XV8's illegal with a Twin Linked Plasma and Single Missle Pod? 3 items right? But if a Krak missile did hit, wouldn't I still be allowed to take the invuls I paid for?
You can only have 3 items per Suit, so:
T-L Plasma = 2
Missile Pod = 1
Shield Gen = 1

You have four on each Suit there.

Quote:
Where can I get the rules on Tetras? All the material I have read have said they are heavy 4 and 50 points a piece with DP standard.
Imperial Armour 3: Taros. Pricey as hell book, though, I'd wait until you're sure you'll get the use out of it. Trust me when I say they're 35pts now without D-Pods, and Heavy 2 T-L.

Quote:
88's are carrying TL Heavy Rail Rifles and the Hammerhead is as you described.
Swap the Heavy Rail Rifles for the High-Yield Missile Pods. They're just better. Buy Submunitions for the Hammerhead as well.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 12:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Shield Gens don't take a hard slot do they?

I have the Imperial Armour 3: Taros and it says they are 50 points with TL Pulse Rifles and a marker light

Why are the HYMP better? I think I like the heavy rail rife to kill everything it hits. What are the pros?
Old 15 Jan 2014, 13:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Shield Gens don't take a hard slot do they?
Support Systems and Weapons both take up Hard Points.

Quote:
I have the Imperial Armour 3: Taros and it says they are 50 points with TL Pulse Rifles and a marker light
They released a 2nd Edition last June or so, that updated all the rules to suit the new Codex better. Tetras were one of the things that changed quite a bit.

Quote:
Why are the HYMP better? I think I like the heavy rail rife to kill everything it hits. What are the pros?
Heavy Rail Rifle is only Strength 8, so it doesn't kill everything it hits. Given that you only get one shot with it, it does much the opposite.

The HYMP is better for busting Transports, Monstrous Creatures, and dealing with Infantry, too. 1 less Strength, but 4x the shots. With that Puretide Commander they'll annihilate Rhinos and other light vehicles.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 13:27   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok cool re Tetras and Crisis suits. I think I got the one before the update.

I'm trying to determine if HYMP are worth it, yes they are great against AV10 vehicles but AP4 isn't the greatest.

Also being 36" range puts them in threat of the enemy. I quite like the broadsides supporting from the back of the table out of harms way. Happy to talk this out further!
Old 15 Jan 2014, 13:27   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

This is interesting

http://fromthefang.blogspot.co.uk/20...eres-only.html

I don't know if broadsides are even worth it anymore too.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 14:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1 Ap1 shot isn't going to scare anything, even Terminators. It'll only kill, at max, one model. That's if everything goes swimmingly.

If you're playing on a standard 48x48 board, 36" range is pretty comfortable if you place them well in Deployment. Personally, I don't like running Broadsides, as they're too static for my tastes. I run Crisis Suits with Missile Pods instead.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 15:33   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah man, put they are nice from stripping away Terminators from a range. 36" is fine but I'm worried about everything else from the opposing side as 36" is easily reached whereas 60" is pretty far.

I think I may not run sides. They just sit there and die.