Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1850 Aggressive Tau
Old 11 Jan 2014, 12:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Nuclear Mind Machine
Default 1850 Aggressive Tau

Hi all,

I've been toying round with lists for a while now, especially since I got my hands on the Farsight Enclaves book, which proves for some interesting combinations. In fact, it was the book that inspired me to go down the aggressive route. Seeing as we have the option of Fusion Blades available, it seems silly not to put them to good use and show people the Tau can put up a bit of a fight.

I'll post the list first, then discuss some of the options.

Farsight Enclaves Primary Detachment

Commander
2 Flamers
Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster
Fusion Blades
1 Gun Drone (Warscaper Drone)

XV8 Crisis Team
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Plasma Rifles
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Plasma Rifles
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Plasma Rifles, Vectored Retro-Thrusters
Bonding Knife Ritual
2 Gun Drones

XV8 Crisis Team
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Missile Pods
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Missile Pods
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Missile Pods, Vectored Retro-Thrusters
Bonding Knife Ritual
2 Gun Drones

XV8 Crisis Team
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Flamers
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Flamers, Vectored Retro-Thrusters
Bonding Knife Ritual

XV8 Crisis Team
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Fusion Blasters, Target Lock
Crisis Shas’ui- 2 Fusion Blasters, Vectored Retro-Thrusters
Bonding Knife Ritual
2 Gun Drones

Kroot Carnivore Squad
Sniper Rounds
Kroot Hound

Kroot Carnivore Squad
Sniper Rounds
Kroot Hound

Pathfinder Team
5 Pathfinder Shas’la
Bonding Knife Ritual

Pathfinder Team
5 Pathfinder Shas’la
Bonding Knife Ritual

Hammerhead Gunship
Longstrike
Railgun with Submunitions
Twin-Linked Smart Missile System
Disruption Pod

Tau Empire Allied Detachment

Commander Shadowsun
Command Link Drone

Stealth Team
2 Stealth Shas’ui
Stealth Shas’vre- Homing Beacon, Markerlight and Target Lock

Fire Warrior Team
8 Fire Warrior Shas’la with Pulse Rifle

Devilfish
Disruption Pod
Sensor Spines

Fire Warrior Team
8 Fire Warrior Shas’la with Pulse Rifle

Devilfish
Disruption Pod
Sensor Spines

1848pts

As you can see, this list has many tricks up its sleeve. The Firewarriors and the Farsight Crisis Teams, being scoring units, are my biggest hopes for scoring objectives. The Burning Eye and Deathrain builds on the suits give them flexibility, and will help the Firewarriors tackle what they cannot hope to take down themselves- namely heavy infantry and light vehicles. I hope to use the mobility to rush forwards and secure objectives quickly and then laying down withering fire. All the while, Longstrike and his Hammerhead will be keeping enemy armour occupied, or hopefully neutralised, ensuring I have the upper hand in mobility.

Shadowsun will be deployed initially with the Stealth Team, getting them into a good position behind enemy lines to deploy the homing beacon. It is at this point I will deploy the Sunforge suits, which Shadowsun will join, and they will take out any remaining armour or tough customers left on the table.

The Fusion Blade Commander and his Heatwave team will outflank with the Kroot using the Warscaper Drone. I hope to utilise his team to take out support units and light vehicles. Despite the combat potential, I will not throw them at big nasties! With a total of six flamers in the squad, I should do some damage to light infantry. Perhaps the Heatwaves may even go it alone as a distraction squad if needed, and the Commander will join Shadowsun and her unit.

The Kroot meanwhile will help secure objectives, bringing some extra bodies on the field, and use their sniper rounds to some effect. Depending on the situation I might hold them back on my own objectives, allowing the Crisis Teams and Fire Warriors to advance. Seeing as I have 6 scoring units, I am spoiled for choice!

Of course, whilst all this is going on, the Pathfinder teams will be deployed in advanced positions and providing Markerlight support for the teams as needed. I think two small teams is necessary, and provides a decent amount of shots without being too expensive.

I am debating whether Shield Drones would be more effective than gun drones, especially on the Sunforge Team? What do you all think about this? I am primarily using drones for ablative wounds and initiative for the VRTs so I may as well make them as useful as possible!

Thanks for any comments!

NMM

Last edited by Nuclear Mind Machine; 11 Jan 2014 at 17:16.
Nuclear Mind Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2014, 17:34   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Nuclear Mind Machine

Sorry guys, didn't notice the Tau lists subforum- doh! Could someone move this for me, or delete it and I'll start again!
Nuclear Mind Machine is offline   Reply With Quote