Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

my 2000pt Tau 6th ed. I'm new & would like all opinions.
Old 08 Jan 2014, 22:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default my 2000pt Tau 6th ed. I'm new & would like all opinions.

My rough/revised list for a 2000pt Tau army includes: 4HQ 4ELITE 3TROOP 3FAST 3HEAVY

HQ
COMMANDER - Iridium Armor, Drone Controller, 2 marker drones.
w/ DRONE SQUAD - marker drone x6
CADRE FIREBLADE
w/ FIRE WARRIOR TEAM - (12 to squad)
AUN'VA
COMMANDER SHADOWSUN
w/ STEALTH TEAM - (6 to squad) fusion blaster x2

TROOPS
2X - FIRE WARRIOR TEAM - (9 to squad) 1x Shas'ui, bonding knife

ELITES
XV104 RIPTIDE - Stim injector, Velocity tracker, Burst cannon, Plasma rifle.
2X- XV8 CRISIS TEAM - Plasma rifle, TL Missile pod

FAST ATTACK
2X- PATHFINDER SQUAD- (6 to squad) 1x shas'ui + blacksun filter.

HEAVY SUPPORT
HAMMERHEAD (RAIL GUN) - Submunitions, Blacksun filter, Decoy launcher, TL SMS, 2x Seeker Missile
HAMMERHEAD (ION CANNON) - Blacksun filter, Decoy launcher, TL SMS, 2x seeker missile.
SKYRAY- Blacksun filter, Decoy launcher, TL SMS.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated.
TauTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2014, 02:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Alright, so first things first if you want to use the double force organization charts at 2000 points so that you can bring 4 HQ and elite choices, then you need to have at least 4 troops too. I discourage this course of action as I feel it may leave you a little strapped for resources, or even stretching to achieve it.

I would actually recommend you start a little bit smaller, but things down to something a little more reasonable like 1500 points. Drop Aun'Va and one of the other commanders... or even two of them... Each Tau commander has some really cool battlefield roles, as I'm sure you're aware. Shadowsun is a buffing beast and can turn a crisis team invisible. The shas'O will be really useful if you need more markerlight support. The fireblade is cheap and makes static firewarriors pretty scary from the backfield.

Possibly considering putting the crisis suits in a single team, but definitely consider changing the weapon loadouts to better support the list's overall needs (fusion blasters would really help you out).

Then trim the fat from your other units. Remove the decoy launchers from everything (unless you meant disruption pods in which case keep them). Remove bonding knives from fire warriors, and black sun filter from the pathfinders.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2014, 05:45   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Carrelio, thanks for getting back to me and I greatly appreciate your advice! I am actually planning on joining an escalation league at the beginning of next month and a finished 2000pt list is required before painting begins on the models. I have some knowledge from playing with friends in junior high but the game has then since changed. I'll be crafting a new army to which I am learning much about. I have checked the Shas'O out and I love the Idea though he is not listed in the current codex and I doubt he is in stores as he is not listed on the GW website. Is there a website where I can see all viable models for the 6th ed?& A safe or preferred website at which I may be able to purchase him? Where can I find his stats as a quick google search reveals nothing more than experimental rules?

Ill continue working on the list with your consideration.
Old 09 Jan 2014, 06:50   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Alright so I've come across some new information and have decided to scrap the difficulty of the Shas'O all together. I'm thinking of taking commander Farsight with his load out of 7 bodyguards. perhaps a bit much? equipping 3 as Helios the others Fireknife. I love the Shadowsun character and having stormsurge crisis troops with her. I want to have a Commander so can have the iridium armor load out for WL objectives.
I found a combo with the pathfinders/ devilfish so ensure precise deepstriking by having recon drones equipped to the devilfish. the codex doesn't have an obvious application for this, so is it viable? would it cost some points or would it be the same - swapping them for the gun drones.
I still have some time to fine tune my army but without having actually played the game I'm not sure what to expect by picking weapons and systems. I'm reading and watching played games on youtube, constantly trying to change my perspective on what I can expect when playing.
Old 09 Jan 2014, 08:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Strange number of points to start a league at, but then I've very rarely played 2K, we prefer 1-1.5K for quickness' sake here.

I don't know the Crisis config names off by heart, I'm afraid, especially as the mixed weapons configs are no longer played. After the FAQ, everyone runs Dual-Wield builds of the same weapon. I believe Helios is Dual-Fusion, and Burning Eye is Dual Plasma.

I personally don't like using Pathfinders for a Homing Beacon. One, the Recon Drone alone is 28pts, and therefore a bit pricey. Two, you have to push your Pathfinders right into the enemy to get a decent drop position, and they're far too fragile for that. Three, if they're moving up the field in a Devilfish, they're not available to produce Markerlights.

The Shas'O is listed as a Commander in the current Codex, opposite the page with the Troops options. He's on GW's website too, though as a Finecast model. Personally, I've seen the Finecast Commander and it was a bit shoddy. I'd convert your own, which is a very fun project to do.

My other advice would be to remove Aun'va, or at least find somewhere very, very safe for him to hide. I've never run him, as he's fragile and can't be hidden in a unit. However, I can see him being useful for a Gunline army, or even just for Morale purposes.

Another bit of advice I'd give is to load your Commander out with two Missile Pods and a Target Lock. Also give him the Puretide Chip. This might seem like an expensive 50pt investment, but he'll get 4 BS5 Autocannon shots, that will be able to re-roll Penetration against vehicles, and re-roll Wounds against Monstrous Creatures. The Target Lock lets him fire upon one thing while the Marker Drones light up another. He'll wreck incoming Rhinos and the like, so the rest of your army can pick off the contents.
Old 09 Jan 2014, 12:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I assume 2000 points is your final total for the escalation league and it assumes you will collect all the models in the eventual list but you don't have or need all of them yet. That is... unless it's the Escalation book league in which case we're still in the same boat and you need to redesign your 2000 point list to be competitive because you're stretching to reach that goal.

A shas'O is just a commander in a battlesuit. Very easy to find since any battlesuit can act as your Shas'O.
That said, if you go Farsight, look into the Farsight Enclave Supplement for the Tau Codex. It turns Tau from a pretty good army into a truly over the top one where battlesuits are troops. The 7 samurai have their place, but using trios of battlesuits with a couple of drones each as troops will serve you're money and points way better.

For Coffee, and a little for Tom:
Helios = plasma+fusion: a real heavy hitter in 5th, not bad in 6th, but in my opinion the same-type-weapon suits are simply better suited at their jobs.
Fireknife = plasma+missile: totally outdated. It's the jack of all trades master of none suit, but with so many actually good options to fill the roles it is trying to cover it's really just floundering about yelling "I'm trying guys! I'm trying!"

The devilfish accompanying pathfinders was a thorn in the side of Tau players for generations (literally since it came out), the fact that we no longer need to take a very expensive devilfish along with our pathfinders is a blessing, and it's almost certainly not worth doing to help reserve shenanigans.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2014, 17:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

a good fun unit that i run is dual plasma with advanced targeting system, this 3 point upgrade can really help as you can target out the special weapons, and with most armies having only one or two specials in a squad, eliminating these with effectively neuter the squads worth. Also I find the the burst cannon riptide does better with fusion blasters, and then using it in an anti-tank role.

sunforge= dual fusion
deathrain= dual missiles
burning eye= dual plamsa

these are the important ones

edit: regular farsight can be fun. With his warlord trait, he can be lots of fun

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600

Last edited by commander_nightflier; 09 Jan 2014 at 17:38.
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2014, 19:23   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Okay so the best use of crisis suits in the 6th edition are to roll out with all-one dual load outs. would that be 2x/4x plasma/ or are you saying 1 TL set would be enough with the support system. making them extremely cheap and their role defined.
I really enjoyed the Idea of having cadre and an ethereal combo but as with every HQ choice I've read mixed opinions and not actually being all that familiar with the game i really haven't a clue as to what to expect.
the escalation league calls for a HQ or single character to be done within the first month then Troops the next and the rest over the months until the end of June where it should be completed. the list needs to be complete and cannot be changed at anytime throughout this process on Feb. 1. I want to be smart about my army but I don't want to just limit myself to sitting in the back with all this awesome range. How can I effectively divide my army, or what what should I be looking for in terms of how many squads per unit class HQ/Elites/Troops/FA/HS for the end goal 2000pts.
I heard troops are what win games in 6th ed but it may not necessarily mean the Tau. If I did choose the far sight enclave route it seemed that for the majority of the characters I had to make to exact specifications. which intimidated me but may be worth looking at again? I believe this only counts for him and his 7bodyguards though and not the rest of my to be army.
Thanks again for your help so far guys!
Old 09 Jan 2014, 21:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

We mean 2x Plasma, for example. Two of the same gun per Suit. You can choose to T-L them instead. Personally, I prefer the raw firepower of having two guns on the suit. T-L is handy with Fusion Blasters on a Monat. Cheap, 42pt dude that might even kill something before he dies.

Also Tau don't really have awesome range, only our most famous units do: Rail Rifle Broadsides, Riptides, and Hammerheads. The meat of your firepower is 36" and under, most of it being 18" and under.

You can only win in 6th by holding Objectives, and in most cases, you can only hold Objectives with Troops.

As a newbie, though, I'd say you're throwing yourself in at the deep end in this escalation tournament with not so much knowledge of how the game or Codex works nowadays. I started back in April, so I know how it feels to start this afresh.

Best thing to do, get some casual games in, as many as you can. Beg people's pardon for bringing unpainted models and proxies - most decent guys will be fine with it, and hopefully you'll avoid the local WAAC-o and get someone willing to take it slow and show you tips and tricks on how the game goes.

The thing with Tau is that it can be played in so many ways. This, in my opinion, is what makes it so strong right now. Playing Chaos? There'll be Heldrakes, Obliterators, and probably Plague Marines. Eldar? Wave Serpents and Wraiths. Necrons? Probably their fliers, along with lots of Warriors, Resi Orbs, and maybe even some Wraiths.

Tau have so many strong options and combos, though, that one player could run a list entirely oriented around mechanised Devilfish-mounted Fire Warriors, another runs Kroot spam backed by Broadsides, and another might run Riptides with Crisis Troops. There's so much variety, and it personally took me months to find the right blend of units I find sufficiently punchy, and most importantly, fun.

Really, I'd say get some games in. Best way to learn your Codex. It won't take you long to learn everything, know all the stats of weapons and units, and probably even be able to write Army Lists from memory. (It scared me when I started doing this, panicked to check points cost, and realised I'd memorised everything. Ah well, everyone needs to be good at something, I s'pose.)
Old 13 Jan 2014, 00:49   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So I took a couple days to let this information sink in and to read relevant information from the 6th ed Rule Book and I've come up with an Idea of what I would like my army to look like. I have 3HQ 4Troops 3Elite 4Fast 3Heavy with a total of 1985 points so far.
I took advice given by those on this thread and others but I still feel like there are some holes in army as I have yet to play a game, your advice is valuable as once this list is set there is no turning away from it.

HQ
COMMANDER - 2x Misssile Pod, puretide chip
COMMANDER - Iridium armor, Drone Controller, 2xmarker dones
LONGSTRIKE*

TROOPS
X4 FIRE WAR TEAM - (9toSquad) 1x shas'ui

ELITE
RIPTIDE - Stim injecotr, TL fusion blaster, Burst cannon, Velocity tracker
CRISIS TEAM - dual plasma, ADV TRG SYS
CRISIS TEAM - Dual missile pod, ADV TRG SYS

FAST
X3 PATHFINDER - (9toSquad)
DRONE SQUADRON - (6toSquad) (to be with the Commander with DC)

HEAVY
HAMMERHEAD(RAILGUN w/ LONGSTRIKE) - TL SMS, D-POD
2X SKYRAY

My reasoning for insisting on the commander with the drone squad is for how many markerlights it will put out in one shot leaving the rest of the army to take advantage of the max8 markers. this may take away the pressure on the pathfinders as It's unlikely that these guys will last through the game but maybe it'll remove the need for having more PF squads? I still don't fully understand this Shas'O business, is it cheaper than my current model of it? does it have as many markerlights?

I was considering having more troops by adding kroot but these units seem to be very frail and haven't much survivability as the whole unit most likely wont be able to fit in cover (to my knowledge) or that cover would even save em. If I were to add kroot I am not sure on unit size/composition as there are many characters that could be placed within the unit. Also I was considering taking Aun'va if I were to choose more troop options as his supreme loyalty would seem to help if I find my squads getting torn apart.

I wasn't sure If a longstrike Hammerhead would be more beneficial than a Broadside team- some thoughts?

Is 9 enough to a squad for either pathfinders or fire warrior team? again I'm unsure of what is a good number for infantry units in a squad.