Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What more should I buy for my Tau army?
Old 31 Dec 2013, 18:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What more should I buy for my Tau army?

So, I'm struggling to think of how to expand my Tau army, I got a small force that I play against a few friends, Justf riendly matches, Nothing big or serious. I'm trying to get up to 2000-2400 points or so.. This is what I have so far

6 Crisis Suits
38 Fire Warriors
8 Pathfinders
1 Devilfish (That I often proxy as a hammerhead)
3 Broadsides
12 Gun Drones
26 Kroot
Aun'Shi
Aun'Va with his bodyguards
1 Piranha
1 Riptide

I do not want any more Riptides, Or any more Broadsides as I feel those two units are very powerfull and I dont want to annoy my friends. I'm thinking of getting some sniper Drones and Stealth Suits..
Merellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2013, 19:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Piranhas are quite fun to have, and really come into their own once you get 2-3+ of them. You can use them to block off enemy approaches, hunt tanks, drop distraction Drones, and generally be a fun pain in the neck. Also a fun model to customise and paint.

Other than that...maybe an actual Hammerhead? Build it carefully and you can just swap out the turret for Skyray, Ion Hammerhead and RailHead.

But is there anything you've seen in the Codex or online that you might want to model or play? This varies from person to person. For example, I have a dozen Crisis suits, but far less Fire Warriors, no Kroot, and no Aun'va. (How do you find him on the field, by the way?)
Old 31 Dec 2013, 20:07   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Aun'Va actualy isent bad, I mostly keep him in the back together with a group of Fire Warriors or two, Using him as a Ethereal to buff the fire warriors. Including him dosent feel like you are giving away a ton of points for uselessness as it was in the previous codex. He gets 2 Ethereal powers. I dont use him very often though, Mostly I just proxy one of his bodyguards as a normal Ethereal. I do realy like the looks of the Vespids.. But.. They are so expensive in points.. And Finecast models... But I do kind of want some Stealth Suits and Sniper Drones.

I did have a idea for a Scout Army once, Shadowsun, Stealth Suits, Kroot, Pathfinders, Piranhas and Sniper Drones. Oh, and a Skyray.. XD Seemed like something fun to build, But I got almost nothing of the items for it..
Merellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2014, 17:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

stealth teams are fun to field every now and then (and is one of the cheapest units monies wise) i have six. Mech-tau is also a very enjoyable way to play. the look on your opponents face when you place all of your objectives in his deployment zone, it just says "this will be interesting" I love hammerheads, you should get some. I love using sniper drones as dedicated marker teams

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jan 2014, 19:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

How good is the Cadre Fireblade? I have one, would it be best to put him in a firewarrior squad? I think coffee grunt recommended that
Old 03 Jan 2014, 01:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

its good in gunline. But not much more. I dont personally like them, I prefer the etherial because of the ablity to move and get the bonus

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2014, 07:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ethereal doesn't work at full range, though.

The handy thing about the Fireblade is that he can take a unit that's just covering your home Objective and make its firepower relevant to the game.
Old 03 Jan 2014, 10:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Indeed, the Ethereal is actually better in a gunline because his buffs can apply to more units. The fireblade is ace in adding a sneaky extra markerlight and buffing a single objective camping unit.
Old 03 Jan 2014, 12:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thing with the Ethereal is that he's only deadly at 15", beyond that the firepower is 1/3rd of what it is inside that range. Someone can just hang back and wear down the Fire Warriors before they charge into that range.
Old 03 Jan 2014, 13:36   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the tips!