Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Tau, playing a 3 way FFA against SM and Eldar
Old 26 Dec 2013, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to Tau, playing a 3 way FFA against SM and Eldar

I'm going against Space Marines and Eldar in a 3 way 1,500 point game. I have most of the models and can just proxy the rest until I get them. What should I bring? I just got this army yesterday.
Snuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2013, 16:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

what eves you want..... and a riptide, because they be awesome and are defently the coolest model in the range.

on a serious note. I suggest 2 units of firewarriors, with a etherial, and a pair of devilfish to mount them in. Or as I like to call it the moble gunline. Crisis suits are nice and killy. this is just what I like to do though.

the codex is balanced enough that I can suggest this. pick the three units that you like the best. build the rest of the army to support/ complement them. and you will end up with a fairly competive force.

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2013, 17:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It depends what you expect them to bring and what style you want to play. Bunker up and dakka? Storm across the field and shoot them up close?
Old 26 Dec 2013, 17:37   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I was thinking of Bunkering up.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 05:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you can manage to start or move your troops into two strong cover positions that are very close to each other, having two big firewarrior teams backed by an ethereal is a good base of anti-infantry fire. Stealth teams can also fill this role well while being more mobile, but far more fragile out of cover.

Riptides can be an effective base of fire simply because their weapons are so effective against almost everything but the heaviest armor. Broadsides can fill a similar role in fire support, and aren't terribly disadvantaged in comparison if you're planning on going for a more static position. Hammerheads are just about the best anti-tank we've got short of getting fusion blasters in melta range. Which is most easily accomplished by piranhas and crisis teams I think.

Most importantly, don't forget about markerlights. They're a huge benefit to have around. Even with just a more gunline style fixed position list there's loads of variants. Personally I think Hammerheads and Riptides do a fantastic job of staying out in front of a fixed position and keeping the enemy's big guns busy and not blasting away at your gunline. Crisis teams are great for deep striking onto a troublesome enemy unit or tank and scarpering. At 1500 pts, you might run into a problem of filling up a certain slot type with units you like.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2013, 02:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Okay, I played against just Eldar and got smoked. He had a Wraithknight with 2 psykers which both rolled the ability to heal him...so I couldn't kill him. He also had a shield on it with re-roll failed saves. Impossible to kill, pretty much. Both his transports had a thing that didn't allow penetrating hits on a 2+. Pretty hard to kill them.

A question I had is whether you are allowed to shoot with multiple weapons on the crisis suits and broadsides and how many?

Still a fun game though
Old 30 Dec 2013, 03:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yea, Wrathknights buffed up like that can be very difficult to take down. With the knight and psykers that unit would have cost something like 350 pts, but with the addition of psyker powers that give the thing a 2+ armor save, allows rerolls of failed saves and boosts to it's invuln from the shield weapon choice it can be ridiculously tanky.

The wave serpent shield is a pretty nice ability to have as well, considering how reliably it can stop the devastating explode result penetrations that would normally give transports some trouble. They can still be glanced to death though, so our missile pods are pretty reliable for taking them out. Considering they cost only 10 pts less than a Hammerhead stock it's no surprise how effective they are.

All of our battlesuits have built in multi-trackers, which allow for two weapons to be fired per model in the shooting phase. So All crisis, stealth, broadside, and riptide battlesuits can fire two weapons each. It does not apply outside of the shooting phase though, so a single weapon must be chosen when firing overwatch for example.

It's worth keeping in mind as well that because they are jet pack infantry, crisis, stealth and riptide battlesuits have the Relentless special rule which allows them to fire heavy, ordinance, and rapid fire weapons after moving and allows them to assault after firing weapons of those types in the preceding shooting phase. Broadsides are the lone exception, being only infantry. Most of its weapon options are heavy as well, meaning they can only fire snap shots after moving.

Hope that clears up your questions.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2013, 07:15   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

played a 3 way ffa last week against sisters and necrons and had a squad of seraphim led by a celestine deep strike behind my lines due to a mishap.
Had 2/3 of my army fried in one round, so bring Interceptor!
obak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2013, 08:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If your enemy is running heavy on Wraiths, it might be worth looking into Sniper Drone Teams. They're the best Snipers in the game, and allow you to reliably wound the Wraithknight on a 4+, with Rending, too.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 16:57   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

What about the Riptide, how should I upgrade him, Ion Accelerator?