Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are there any restrictions on weapon/support items for commanders?
Old 21 Dec 2013, 05:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Are there any restrictions on weapon/support items for commanders?

Yeah, finally picked up the codex, and I noticed for the commander, and some other units, it states that he may take any item from the weapons/ support items list. My question is, are there certain things he cannot take? I was just wondering because it also doesn't' t cost any points and I thought it was possible to go a little crazy here and end up with something OP. I know codex doesn't' state any restrictions, but are they FAQ'd or something?
GMAN25639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2013, 09:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You can only take up to 4 Weapons / Support Systems in total, and only one of each Signature System per army.

Be careful though, an expensive Commander can still be killed.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 10:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Always have a specific role in mind when choosing equipment. Although it is a versatile choice, the commander can get extremely expensive very quickly. A PEN chip works well in most situations if he is taking weapons. If you need markerlights then take a drone controller and marker drones with him. If you need him to tank for a squad then shield generator and iridium armour are great choices too. It really depends what you want him to do.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 15:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, I know that only get 4 weapons/ support items choices on him. What I meant was are there any guns you cannot take? And also I don't see a points cost for all these things.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 15:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Oh! I found the points costs. I was looking at the wrong page. Note to self, said sticky note important pages.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 19:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, the specific lists to which these restrictions are referring is the actual wargear list on pg. 95. There are no special restrictions on what a commander can take, besides the usual restrictions (no more than one of each type of prototype weapon, no more than one of each signature system etc).

Keep in mind, the Commander is special in that while ranged weapons and support systems all add into the 4 hardpoint restriction, signature systems do not. So it's perfectly valid to have a commander with 2 weapons, 2 support systems, and then any number of signature systems.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2013, 17:14   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

An interesting technique is to give him the C&C Node and Multi-Spectrum. Then, since he's an independent character, join him and his (marker?) drones to a Riptide. Nova-Charge the Riptide, reroll gets-hot, and lay down some awesome ignores cover. The marker drones are sure to finish off whatever doesn't get smashed.

Just because you CAN take 4 weapons/items doesn't mean you HAVE to.
efalsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2013, 05:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

The biggest disadvantage to doing that is making the unit majority T4, the other being that the riptide itself can't be advantaged by said markerlights. Though that's probably the most survivable marker drone unit I can imagine.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2013, 06:13   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I've been experimenting with using (as Farsight) some of "The Seven". Since all of them benefit from being Independent Characters, and you're not required to take one or all of them, and since they don't take up a force slot, it's pretty easy to swap them in as singles.

Add a 4th Broadside (Sas'vre Ob'lotai) to you're already-impressive unit of Broadsides.

Add a Riptide (Shas'vre O'vesa) to any unit of Crisis Suits. Since they're all Jet Pack Infantry, let the Crisis Suits provide cover.

Add a Crisis Suit (Torchstar) to a unit of ... anything.
efalsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2013, 10:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The Riptide/Shas'O combo is majority T6. When you have only two models you always pick the highest.

Also, give the Riptide a Target Lock and he can light up a different squad to the Markerlights. Saves you wasting them if he obliterates the target, and with Twin-Linking and Ignores Cover, he doesn't need any anyway.