Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Escalation & Stronghold Assault- How will it affect us?
Old 07 Dec 2013, 11:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Escalation & Stronghold Assault- How will it affect us?

I've been looking at the recent introduction of super heavies and uber fortifications and contrary to popular belief these are NOT expansions to a regular game, but totally allowed in regular games without permission to play. This will change the meta considerably and will probably change how we construct lists. Considering that Tau armies already struggle with AV14 I think facing even heavier armour could cause problems. At the very least I think that longstrike, fusion crisis and piranhas will become a standard. What is everyone else's opinion? Does anyone have experience using a Tigershark?
Old 07 Dec 2013, 13:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It has been confirmed that the Tigerhark we have received is not the Railshark, but the Ionshark. Therefore we have been given the short straw on the heavy front.

This might redress the balance of Tau's firepower, however. I think we're going to see Longstrike become mandatory versus Escalation lists, and Fusion teams a definite requirement. Piranhas would also be handy.

Strength D weapons are going to be horrific to deal with, and if we're not taking that it'll be high Strength Large Blasts instead.

Bear in mind that we get extra VPs for damaging the enemy Lord of War. We also get +1 to Seize. This might actually make it worthwhile to take the Mirrorcodex against Guard/Space Marine armies toting this stuff. 4+ Seize and Preferred Enemy could become very handy.

Someone fielding a Baneblade at 2K or less has made a massive investment in points for a single model, though. We should show them the tactical folly of putting all their eggs in one basket, a lesson even Puretide would be proud of.
Old 07 Dec 2013, 13:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

To be honest the thing I'm most worried about is the Revenant titan with pulsars. That beast is putting out 4 SD large blasts a turn which will wipe anything we field off the board no problem. It's 900 points but that still leaves 600 for a HQ and some troops in wave serpents in a standard game. I can see this being horrible to deal with at 1500 points considering that no matter what we field it will probably be turn 2 before we can get any fusion on this thing. That means at the very least it will get one turn to rape anything that poses a threat to it. It's also very fast at movement 36" and hard to catch up with if things don't go to plan.
Old 07 Dec 2013, 14:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I believe Titans aren't included, only Thunderhawks and Baneblades.
Old 07 Dec 2013, 15:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sadly the evidence points to the contrary...

http://www.3plusplus.net/forum/viewt...0&p=4078#p4078
Old 07 Dec 2013, 22:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If anyone brings a Revenant Titan to a game, you're free to pack up your stuff and leave - it's what I'd do. I got a good read of the book today, and compared to that our Tiger Shark looks pitiful. :/
Old 07 Dec 2013, 22:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've thought a lot about the argument of encouraging and discouraging the use of certain items or lists or even armies through classically conditioning players by refusing to play against them... and I think I've decided its silly not to play. It's like if someone gave you 1000000 to 1 odds on a bet; you'd take it and put a single dollar in on the off chance that if you won you'd get a million dollars. Someone bringing a super cheesy list is giving you that offer. Worst case scenario they win because they had a super cheesy list, and you don't learn anything because you get tabled by turn 1 (a guy at my club with a daemon flying circus did this to basically every player there) you lose like 20 minutes of your life, middle ground scenario you learn something valuable from playing but you still lose cause it's a cheese list, and the best case scenario you win and get to say that you beat the guy with the ultra cheese list. Unless the 20 or so minutes it will take to get steamrolled in that scenario are too valuable, I'd say it's always worth playing against people.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2013, 23:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My main argument is that you would be fielding an army either bred solely to kill it, or an army where masses of it are unable to touch it.
Old 08 Dec 2013, 21:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

The real problem with denying opponents their titan is that escalation isn't an optional expansion but a full blown addition to the game. It is more legal than forgeworld on paper. I think like it or not we will have to adapt what we take to reflect this massive change to the meta.
Old 08 Dec 2013, 21:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To be fair, Forge World is as legal as a Riptide. It's just people don't like playing against it.