Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Reserves Shenanigans
Old 19 Nov 2013, 05:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Lightbulb Reserves Shenanigans

When I first purchased Pathfinders I dallied some with the notion of utilizing the Recon Drone to bring outflanking Stealth suits onto the board edge of my choice. However I soon gave up on the tactic as being too obvious, prone to failure from choosing the wrong side when deploying first and leaving my markerlight team vulnerable by trying to keep them too close to the board edge than was healthy (beyond sufficient cover) for them.

Lately I've been running a full Stealth team with fusion blasters, target locks and a homing beacon to safely bring a massive amount of battlesuit firepower into the opponent's flank by deep strike. However, today I noticed the Positional Relay is a support system option for our suits (I thought it only came on the Recon Drone) and reread its rule. When the carrying model is within 6" of ANY board edge, outflanking units may choose to arrive on said board edge at will... even if it is yours or your opponent's board edge.

I had not realized this at all! I had thought its use was limited to the side edges. This leads me to think of all the possibilities for shenanigans with our reserves. Using my normal tactics I could outflank a Stealth team into the back corner of the board (having one guy with a Positional Relay) and then make use of that to bring in hordes of Kroot, more suits (Stealth or Crisis with Shadowsun, homing beacon lends possibility of safely deep striking Crisis teams, Vespid, even drones) or Fire Warriors with Darkstrider. All of this directly into the enemy deployment zone. You could very possibly take over your opponent's half of the board in turn 2!

Granted if you don't deal sufficient damage to cripple your foe you could be left with a hefty chunk of your army vulnerable to the enemy's swift retribution... but you could also very well wipe out the core of said enemy's army before he even knew what hit him. Hmmm...

The rule for our Homing Beacon reads: "Friendly units arriving by Deep Strike do not scatter as long as the first model is placed within 6" of a model with a homing beacon." There is no specification that the model need be on the board before the beginning of the turn, so it is fully legal to outflank a Homing Beacon and then deep strike around it all in one turn. It would also be completely legitimate to teleport in allied Terminators if you really wanted... Do they shoot the Crisis Suits, the Kroot or the Assault Terminators who are going to tear them a new one next turn? Such decisions.

Last edited by wilderun; 19 Nov 2013 at 05:42.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2013, 09:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

It is a bit risky to rely on a good reserves roll in order to get your deep strikers in on the same turn as your outflankers arrive. Unless you take a comms relay then thats a 33% chance that they won't come until the following turn. This would be deadly for this tactic.
Arufel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2013, 09:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, you're pinning it all on the Stealths arriving before everyone else. Why not simply Infiltrate them?
Old 19 Nov 2013, 15:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In the games I play you generally won't be able to infiltrate anywhere near the opponent's board edge so it's not really worth it. I also roll unnaturally well on reserves so for the most part this hasn't been a problem for me. But in the event the stealth team doesn't come in I revise my plans accordingly. The guys i play with hate me because I also roll unnaturally well with my deep strike scatter. The game isn't fun unless you're taking foolish risks!
Old 19 Nov 2013, 15:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's all well and good, but for the times when it goes wrong... that being said I'm a sore loser and get nerd rage when I roll badly! More power to you for taking a risk I guess.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 15:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't mind getting my ass kicked at all. Rolling poorly, loosing gobs of troops, it doesn't bother me. I just want to play and have fun. It's just a game, there's no reason to get upset about a game unless the other player is openly being an ass.

That said, it's even more fun when stupid risks pay off and enemy troops get murdered in ways they never expected.

Last edited by wilderun; 19 Nov 2013 at 15:55.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 16:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

True, but my mates are all like me. One of my best buddies once picked up one of my Eldar supports batteries and smashed it into a wall haha! Maybe I need new friends! :P It does depend a lot on your gaming environment.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 02:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My one friend who plays IG can be rather sore about losing/rolling badly, especially when they happen together. Next to his Vendettas his Leman Russ are his pride and joys. I think being able to pull this trick off could very well spell the end for his tanks as effective contributors to a battle. The ridiculous thickness of their front and side armor is all that protects them... outflanking a unit of Kroot with 2-3 Krootox or a Stealth team from your opponent's board edge would absolutely shred any tank trying to face off against what you already have on the field.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 02:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

but wilderun.... sunforge!!!!!!!!
Old 21 Nov 2013, 06:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Of course Crisis Suits with fusion blasters! I've already been running those guys and either deep striking them where needed or bringing them safely in next to my stealth team. But this Kroot foolishness is something I've never tried before, and It's got me all excited thinking about it.