Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

enemies that change a game
Old 13 Nov 2013, 17:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Question enemies that change a game

so for tau there are a lot of guys who can rip you apart if they get to you, they usualy have pretty god invuls too, because we cant get rid of that save, so heres a few units that always seem to do some damage

abbadon, which he should, hes super pricy
assault termies, with thunderhammers and stormshield, always get at least a marine save
and hammerheads, i hate being out ranged, especially if its by a railgun, their easy enough to kill sometimes, but they almost always become a top priority target for me
what units make you guys re think your battle plans?
Old 13 Nov 2013, 18:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

The helldrake, for reasons we've been discussing in an entirely inappropriate thread. =p Every infantry model, and the majority of the suits in an army list won't get any saves against it's attacks, and as a flier it can come in from and get to anywhere. It's also ridiculously hard to kill without a hard counter list, and is unlikely to die without at least killing it's value in points.

Guardsman Marbo, because well... Marbo.

Units that can take Battle Focus in Eldar. That extra speed can let them take away our range advantage in open maps, an disengage more easily in more closed in maps.

Space Wolf Runepriests and the like that can take Jaws of the World Wolf. Because the save is based on Initiative, anything of ours that doesn't have drones / a HQ attached is incredibly vulnerable to it. The range for a power is pretty good, and the insta-death against high value targets like our riptide or multiple units of less expensive troops and such makes it very dangerous.

That's about all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's plenty more.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 18:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

what does marbo do, my ig friend doesnt run him
Old 13 Nov 2013, 18:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

He can be placed anywhere on the field, sniper pistol, 2+ poison knife. He's fleet, fearless, gets stealth, hit & run, and move through cover. For what he is, he's decently hard to kill and maneuverable. Essentially, he's perfect for assassinating high value targets. If you can't kill him or keep him from assault in the first round he shows up, you're gonna lose something important.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 19:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thank the greater good! A thread where we can complain about things that beat on us! Tbh I'd be more interested in discussing proper counters to these threats.

With Marbo don't forget the demo charge... that thing can wipe out an entire crisis squad! Most competetive guard armies take this guy.

I know the helldrake has already been complained about at length but this thing is the bane of a lot of our units.

Wave serpents have been kicking my backside recently, the new shuriken powers can really hurt!

Terminators have gone down on my list these days as I always carry plenty of plasma. Pour enough of it into them and they go down easy enough.

Bikes with grav guns are the new big threat on the marines front I think. Very fast and extremely durable with a chapter master tanking hits.
Arufel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 19:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

lol i run white scars, and my eldar playing friend doesnt use his wraithknight against them anymore because of grav-guns.

i guess with marbo i would just pile some units close-ish to get a huge-normous over-watch.

i just dont like the sheer amount of fire i have to pour into termies with storm shields, yeah they die, but it comes at a cost a lot of shots.

luckily we have epic anti flyer so we CAN take out a hell drake.

but as of late my "spode the vehicle" approach isnt working because of that damn wave serpent shield, i stopped going for glancing vehicles, so when i hit it twice, and penn it twice, and it takes both of those down to glances i cry on the inside.

i thought of something else too, that isnt quite as bad as some of the others, but immortals still rub me the wrong way with an ap4 rapid fire weapon. i like my firewarriors to live, they have trouble around immortals.

also what is marbos demo charge? is it some ap3 blast?

Last edited by steven; 13 Nov 2013 at 19:22.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 19:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think demo charges are AP2 or 1 and strength 8 so they can insta-gib your suits.

We CAN take out helldrakes... but only if we build lists with the aim of countering the buggers. That's why they're really annoying to play.

Wave serpents I usually deal with in one of two ways. If they fire the shield then throw a load of firepower at it and it will go down easy enough. If the shield is up then spam S7 from Missile Pods and broadsides and glance the thing to death.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 05:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The answer to all Monstrous Creatures, flyers and light to medium armor vehicles is a broadside team of at least 2 with Velocity Trackers, drones and a commander with Puretide Engram Neurochip. Anything that comes near them will die in one turn, guaranteed. So far my team's kill count is a Farsight Riptide, multiple flying Daemon Princes, Vendettas and Helldrakes, and numerous Chimeras. Not to mention any infantry squad that doesn't share the danger zone with a priority target.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2013, 10:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

What weapons do you use on the broadsides and commander if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like a good combo, I've just never been a massive fan of static commanders.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 13:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Probably a pair off missile pods to keep with unit.

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote