Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

fueling a tau-diction
Old 12 Nov 2013, 19:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Question fueling a tau-diction

im looking to expand my tau army, and i have a few ideas about what i want, but i cant decide, heres my options

a fire warrior box (have 48, but some need repair, and im playing larger games now)

pathfinders (i have 13 actuals, and 7 proxies, and i love pathfinders)

broadsides (still miss str 10, but havent used them yet in 6th ed)

a riptide (to hang out with my other and blow stuff up)

and sniper drones (for those times you really just want to troll some players)

so what do you guys think, i have $120 ish on standby to spend (firewarriors, pathfinders, and sniper drones being 40, broadsides 50, and riptides 80)
Old 12 Nov 2013, 20:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think a Riptide is a very unique model tactically speaking, and a lot of fun to build and personalise a little. It opens up a lot of options for army building.

Don't buy the Sniper Drone team. One FS Marksman and 3 Drones for $40/24? Heck no. Get bitz and convert yourself some up.

I recently bought a Pathfinder box set and a bunch of spare bases. I made 3 'Firesight Marksmen' using Pathfinders with binoculars hiding amongst cover, in a sort of Sniper Spotter role as opposed to the guy with his face stuck in a TV box.

It'd leave you 7 Pathfinders left to expand your collection, enough to fund 2 full teams after you add them to your existing bunch.

I think 48 Shas'la will probably be enough for most games, to be honest. Broadsides...the model is cool, and I really want to love them, they're just too static for my taste. I can fully understand the nerf, it was to make Hammerheads more viable and well, that's perfectly sensible. However, they're something to consider for yourself, I suppose.

Personally, buy the Pathfinders and the Riptide. That gives you the ability to round yourself out to 20 Pathfinders, have fun converting up some Firesight Marksmen, and you get the big, bad toy in our Codex to build, paint and play!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 22:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I second the vote on the riptide. It's an awesome model and you can pose it loads of different ways. I spent a week gluing my hands together trying to decide which pose was coolest! Plus it rocks on the tabletop too. Broadsides are good if they are supporting a couple of units of fire warriors. They can crack transports and fliers for your FWs.
Arufel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2013, 22:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't think anyone's going to pick firewarriors mate. 48 is probably all you're going to need outside of apoc games. After all if you do end up in a match that gives you enough points for more than 4 units, you can always have a detachment of Enclave to fill out the list with crisis troops.

Broadsides seem to be solid, dependable units. However they're expensive since a unit will cost you $150 buying from GW. I'd almost recommend it since you already have a Riptide, but it'd be pushing your budget even if you did go to ebay or something to buy the kits.

I do like the sniper team conversion if you can manage it, otherwise I highly recommend looking on ebay. I managed to get the team I have currently (3 marksman, 7 drones) for about $55. This is one unit where there really isn't terribly much pose-ability, and they're not that hard to find just assembled and primed. A full 174pt team might cost 70 - 80, which is more reasonable. I think it's a very good unit to have.

Ehh... I don't like pathfinders, but if you're usin' 'em in larger battles, you'll probably need more than 13, once you eventually get past using the proxies. Still wouldn't recommend them as much as...

..another Riptide! Gotta say that as I'm putting together a second one myself, it's nice to have two. Again if you're bringing larger armies to the table, two fits in rather comfortably above 1500. 1500, 1250, even 1000 they can be squeezed in if you're being particularly obnoxious. Either way, probably the best option. I'm even seeing brand new riptide kits on ebay, on sprue and unpainted that go for anywhere between 75 - 60 bucks. Having bought all of two kits retail and nothing straight from GW, I highly recommend taking a look there particularly on a tight budget.

Either way, I'd say picking up a Riptide, Pathfinders, and possibly starting a Sniper or Broadside team would be well within budget, in that order.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 00:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i really like the idea of the pathfinder->spotter proxy, especially because i love the models for pathies but i have a question, is a spotter on a terminator/crisis suit base? i think it is but im not sure, havent seen one in person, and i do play apoc a lot, my group just played a 200,000 point total game two weeks ago, and i felt bad because i only contributed 20,000 of our teams 100000 (there were 4 players a team) so i still cant really shake firewarriors, also because they would be easy to make look good too, and a lot of mine are a little ruined, or extremely ugly. im not going for the broadsides though, i like the old ones, i honestly dont want to ruin my memories of when they were op with the new ones. i think a second riptide is inevitable, especialy running the farsight suppliment. oh but i have one more question, and i know i brought it up before, and i know they still arent good, but would anyone think running vespids as a more.... identifiable unit for your army be worth the buy? (this would be in the future)
Old 13 Nov 2013, 00:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
i felt bad because i only contributed 20,000

I'm currently maxing out at about 5K! How did you guys get the time for 100K points games?!

The Pathfinder box has lots of bitz that are nice for conversions and such. I can post my spotters up in a bit if you want. The Spotters usually come on a Crisis base, yes.

Vespid...they aren't terrible. They compete with Piranhas, Tetras and PAthfinders for me, though, so they make it hard to fit them around my markerlights.

However, I'd say they need to be played on a board with dense terrain - especially with Ruins. They'll harass an enemy fairly well and pick off MEQs without having to fear Dangerous Terrain as they flit from Ruin to Ruin for a 3+ Cover Save. Beware Heavy Flamers, though.

Last edited by CoffeeGrunt; 13 Nov 2013 at 00:30.
CoffeeGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 00:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i play tau, eldar, dark eldar, white scars and necrons (i dont actually play necrons, i just own and hate them) but it was tau white scars and my black library army
Old 13 Nov 2013, 02:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I no longer feel bad about your budget.

Tau ARE humanity. The Imperium is the Covenant.
Orks are the flood.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 04:05   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ROFL....I've been playing for 15 years, and I would have trouble piecing together 20,000 points out of my guard, DA, tau, and sisters, combined. You're nuts, Junior, you're nuts!
marnepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2013, 07:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

im 17 and have a job, and graduated early, so i dont have much else to spend my money on, plus TAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU (anyone know any good trade in programs or somethig that i could drop like 2000 points of necrons into?) also coffee grunt that picture is awesome

Last edited by steven; 13 Nov 2013 at 07:15.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote