Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuit Commander?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 01:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Battlesuit Commander?

Hey guys, finally gonna start my Tau army. Question. I wanna do a battlesuit commander as my warlord, but I am unsure as to which to get, is it worth it to buy the finecast one by itself, or just get the single XV8 with 2 gun drones instead? Are there any weapons one kit offers that the other doesn't? Help me out here. Obviously the plastic one with drones is cheaper though.
GMAN25639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2013, 02:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Finecast model comes in a dynamic (though to me, rather stupid) pose. Also the armor is unique compared to your basic crisis suits, so it makes him stand out more. If you buy the commander kit you'll also get the Cyclic Ion Blaster and Airburst Fragmentation Projector... no drones though.
I would buy him if he came as a plastic kit that were more manipulable... instead I've decided to buy an XV9 from Forge World and weapon options from Paulson Games to create a more unique commander.

For the meantime a regular Crisis suit will serve just as well as your Commander! Nothing wrong with that!
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2013, 02:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, as far as commander kits go there are currently two you might find. The first is the new kit, the XV-02 or whatever that the newest codex shows off. Because of the uniqueness and customization available with this model I'd highly recommend it, that said it'll be the most expensive. The second option is the old commander kit, usually a standard crisis suit model with either resin or pewter 'commander' weapons and gear. Both of these kits have the air burst fragmentation launcher, and the cyclic ion blaster. As far as I know, other than the finecast 'commander' upgrade kit for a standard crisis suit, there is no other way to get these weapons.

For my army, I just have a regular crisis suit as a commander. It's definitely the way to go if you're on a budget. Additionally, you can always make the model part of another crisis suit team later if you decide to get a commander suit at some point. Either of the latter two are pretty easy to find on ebay as well, should you choose to go that route.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2013, 02:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Haven't picked up the codex yet, so not sure what these weapons all do? Can I get a basic rundown of the different armaments the commander can have?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 03:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Your basic suit weapons:
Plasma Rifle - S6/AP2, 24" Range, Rapid Fire
Missile Pod - S7/AP4, 36" Range, Assault 2
Fusion Blaster - S8/AP1, 18" Range, Assault 1, Melta
Burst Cannon - S5/AP5, 18" Range, Assault 4
Flamer - S4/AP5, Template, Assault 1

Commander weapon options, also usable for Shas'vre:
Airbursting Fragmentation Projector - S4/AP5, 18" Range, Assault 1, Barrage, Ignores Cover, Large Blast
Cyclic Ion Blaster - S7/AP4, 18" Range, Assault 3
...Overcharge - S8/AP4, 18" Range, Heavy 1, Blast, Gets Hot
Old 30 Oct 2013, 03:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sounds good. Hmmm... buy XV8 suit with drones now or wait for Christmas and get the commander finecast model...
Old 30 Oct 2013, 03:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

How much of an army do you have so far?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 04:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Most often you don't really need the commander weapon options in most lists to be honest. I'd say just paint a regular crisis suit as a commander for now and see how often you use it. If it ends up being your primary commander for most games grab a commander kit at some point.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2013, 04:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Regular battlesuits every time. There's tons of conversion guides around the internet to make him into something special. Chances are you won't be needing the special issue weapons for most of your play (keep in mind, a battlesuit commanders is one of the best support characters in the game and doesn't even need weapons to rock socks).

I would in fact buy the 3 suit pack, since battlesuits are sweet.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2013, 05:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Currently I have no models yet. I plan on getting a box of firewarriors and the XV8 with drones, as well as the codex, just to start off. I'll decide on more specialized units once I have the codex and build my money pool back up. Thanks for the help guys.