Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warrior Squad size
Old 29 Oct 2013, 16:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon
Default Fire Warrior Squad size

If I take 24 Fire Warriors, am I better off with 2 squads of 12, 3 squads of 8 or 4 squads of 6?

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2013, 17:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Good question. The answer is do you need a few, durable units, or a lot of flimsier units. Are they holding objectives or used for their shooting?

Bigger squads are more efficient with Markerlights and more able to stand on a point and take losses. Smaller units can cover more ground and offer redundancy when one dies. However they are far less capable of putting out damage, need more Markerlights, and can take much less fire.

I personally run units of ten to twelve.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 17:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon

This is specifically in a thousand point game.

But general Fire Warrior advice is welcome here as well.

Always use Stealthsuits.

HeroScape rules!
Old 29 Oct 2013, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Again, it depends upon the role they will be used in. Our troop choices have enormous problems with durability, and thus far I've found in general that there's very little that squad size can do to protect from that.

That said, the two biggest things to worry about with them is volume of fire and leadership. Ld 7 makes them vulnerable to checks, you can easily lose squads from running even if they aren't wiped out completely. Having an Ld10 character or an Ethereal nearby can help this, but it's always better to save yourself from the check in the first place. Thus, the two leadership thresholds available in our squads are 9, and 13. The safest numbers are those two, and are largely easy to accomplish with the use of drones or an attached character.

Volume of fire is almost always going to be 'the more the better'. Those extra shots in shooting and overwatch can mean the difference between a large unit standing and a smaller one getting annihilated. In general for a cheap troop choice, 9 seems to be an easy and affordable compromise. You're safe from leadership on the first two models down, and 18 shots rapid fire (27 with an ethereal nearby) is solid against anything that costs about as much as it does (80 - 90 pts). If you're looking for survivable troop choices to gunline or hold objectives in general, I'd recommend skipping 12 and going all the way to 13. You can buy a shas'ui and one gun drone to accomplish this, or you can attach a character to the squad. In general, a 12 man firewarrior squad with attached cadre fireblade is the best example of this.

Seeing as you're currently working with 24 models, if you need 3 squads I'd recommend doing 3 squads of 8, with a shas'ui and gun drone to bring them to 9. If you have a Ethereal or some such, you can use him in one squad in place of spending the extra points. In 1000 pts you can easily get away with 2 squads, so 2 12 man squads with one gun drone each is also an option.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2013, 19:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually I have 48 Fire Warriors.
Maybe I will take 27 instead of 24.

Always use Stealthsuits.

HeroScape rules!
Old 06 Nov 2013, 02:43   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I do squads of ten...out of pure laziness...it makes nice even points costs, and makes it easy to decide whether I want another squad or a warfish for the same points. Like my current list...4 squads and 3 fish...off the top of my head, that's 630 points. Easy peasy.
marnepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2013, 11:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would say go with two squads of 12 for the pure reason that FW Leadership sucks big time unless you upgrade. Also, although splitting your firepower between 3 and 4 squads may seem like a good idea, usually it is better to focus on a couple of units.
Arufel87 is offline   Reply With Quote