Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Expanding my army in the new edition
Old 25 Oct 2013, 19:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon
Default Expanding my army in the new edition

I played mostly with the first codex and a handful of games with the second. With my collection now out of storage, Id like to start expanding it and playing again.

I have assembled and painted:
48 Fire Warriors
27 Gun Drones(including vehicle drones)
4 Shield Drones
6 Sniper Drones and 2 Controllers
12 Stealth suits(the first model, so they all have burst cannons)
Shadowsun(converted to flying base)
Farsight(I cut off the dawn blade and glued on a gundam beam saber)
3 Fireknife Crisis suits(not sure how Im going to use them with new rules, but most of the weapons arent glued)
2 Deathrain Crisis suits(dual instead of twinlinked now, yay!)
2 Broadsides(original model, SMS...not sure what to do with these...buy the new models and strip them to convert to crisis suits?)
1 Railhead
1 Hammerhead with swapable turret(I thought the Ion Cannon looked too stubby for the tank, so I spliced 2 together)
2 Devilfish
1 Piranha(swapable weapons)

Unassembled:
1 Commander Crisis suit
1 Crisis suit
3 Stealth suits(the newer plastic ones with the FB option)
5 Marker Drones
4 Seeker Missiles(unpainted and not yet magnetized)

So first I think I need a Riptide(if I can ever afford one), and some more Piranhas and probably Longstrike. Then I may look into the new Broadsides, which again begs the question of what to do with my old ones so they dont sit on the shelf gathering dust.(They cost too much for that)

You guys know the what works best in the new codex and with the new rules a lot better than someone like me who has only read the new rules and never played with them, so any advice you have to offer would be much appreciated. Am I missing out by not having things like Pathfinders, Ethereals and Skyrays?

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2013, 23:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Riptides aren't a must, but I like being able to use them. As with most big and powerful models more is usually better. I'd say grab one for now, and maybe a second in the future since they are fairly expensive. I managed to get a full box kit off ebay for about $62 which is not too bad. Beyond that, the next best purchase would likely be a few piranhas. I just recently picked up two more to go with the one I had. Having at least one more is the difference between using it often and letting the model sit on a shelf. Ethereals are very nice to have now, I'd definitely say to pick one up. Whether or not you grab longstrike as well is up to you, but I like having him available as an option. He's in a few of my lists.

You have quite a few models already, most of them are still very very useful. If you think you can manage to convert over the broadside suits I'd say go for it. They're the same body as the crisis suit, and the new models look very sharp and are far more stable on their base. It would also put you one suit shy of having three teams, so I'd say grab a single crisis suit at some point if you do do that conversion. Otherwise, another crisis team wouldn't hurt. Using them as troops in farsight supplement lists makes it nice to have a few full teams.

Broadsides are pretty good to keep around, another reason to buy the new kits. Being able to field a full team of three is always better than having a partial team, but if you do stick with the old suits, there are plenty of them available on ebay on the cheap. Personally I'm a bit on the fence with pathfinders, but it's been recommended to me to pick some up as well. I'd say grab a single squad of 10 and see how it serves you.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2013, 07:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You don't need Pathfinders, but depending on your army composition they can certainly help. The other Tau player I know runs a very competitive list with no pathfinders to speak of. He makes use of Tau with Farsight allies, bringing Firewarrior squads kitted out with Devilfish and Fireblades, missile and plasma suits accompanied by a Puretide Engram Neurochip/Multispectrum Sensor Suite Commander, Railheads, a Skyray and of course the infamous Riptide. The only player able to hold his own against him is Imperial Guard who crushes opponents under hordes of tanks, blasts, and lascannons. Otherwise He usually tables opponents without serious losses.

I, on the other hand, have scorned the Riptide and begun to embrace the usefulness of Pathfinders. They can die easily with the right application of firepower, but when they last they sure come in handy. Longstrike is also very useful. For some reason my one dedicated Railhead fails to perform time and again (rolling constant 1s, mind you) but when I upgrade him as Longstrike everything changes. I would absolutely recommend the Puretide Engram Chip, it is amazing. I've been placing my Commander with that signature system along with a drone controller in my Broadside missile squad. There is very little that can survive a barrage from a unit like that. MCs and any tank below AV 14 can easily be ruined in one turn.

Oh, if you decide to strip those Broadsides back to Crisis suits and find yourself lacking in weapon bits, paulsongames.com is an excellent source for usable parts. I'm planning on purchasing an XV9 for use as my dedicated Commander and equipping him with weapons from this site. For the month of October there's a 20% discount on all sales. Also he sells a head option that I think looks VASTLY better on the Riptide than its current rinky-dink noggin; it actually fits the size of the body.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2013, 18:00   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

personaly I'd say a fireblade or etherial - for me the fireblade makes a viable - somewat cheap commander in low point games as well
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2013, 14:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon

Riiiiiiiiiiight....

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Are there any mods here to ban him?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 05:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hahahaha!
No.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2013, 10:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, it does seem a bit...empty, here.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 17:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yah, it's a fascinating story about the death of our forum. A war between the moderators and the site owner. Every once in a while I tell it to people in a super overly dramatic fashion. It's pretty sweet.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2013, 19:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tell me, young bard, of the tale of the fall of this place!