Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Longstrike
Old 25 Oct 2013, 17:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon
Default Longstrike

Who uses him and how good is he?

Is he better on an Ionhead or Railhead?

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2013, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I wouldn't really take him on a Railhead - there's better options for S7 anti light armour out there.

Against AV13/14 he's pretty much our only option now that isn't Melta. I often roll him to counter Guard, he's born to grill Leman Russes.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 18:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon

If I put him in an Ionhead with SMS, does he get to fire everything on Overwatch?

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2013, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Only one weapon, and no Blasts. Meaning if you're using him for Overwatch you're paying a lot to Snap Fire 3 S7 Ion shots...
Old 25 Oct 2013, 23:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

It'd say by and large he's worth it. His ability to re-roll failed armor penetrations and glances essentially gives him Tank Hunter. Additionally, his suit gives the same benefit as blacksun filter, and automated defense system, excepting that it is significantly better as it allows his hammerhead to fire any number of times in overwatch. He also increases the tank's BS to 5 as well.

So perhaps taking out the cost of everything he provides, (approx. 1 blacksun, 10 - 15 defense system, 10 tank hunter) His relative cost is about 20 pts.

If you're using a hammerhead as a cheap support option in a low point game, I think putting him on an ion head makes him a solid MEQ, GEQ, and transport hunter. At higher point levels when you can afford getting a Shas'vre in a crisis team with a puretide chip, or a commander equipped with one this is far less useful. However, he does remain good at all levels in a railhead as a tank killer. The single S10 shot reduces his comparative effectiveness against transports somewhat, and even with submunitions you give up the anti-MEQ ability due to it's higher AP (4 instead of 3), but the dedicated S10 anti-tank firepower is hard to beat.

Whether or not he's worth it depends on what you could use the 45 pts to buy otherwise. If you're trading off for a few drones or a single piranha I'd say in general he is. If you're drooping shield drones off crisis teams, or other useful survivability equipment from infantry or characters probably not so much. I find that I often take him to fill in a 25 - 50 pt gap in a list where I've already designed a layout, but have too few points left to buy another unit or another model in an existing one.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2013, 07:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

(P. 62) Longstrike has Tank Hunter and Preferred Enemy (Imperial Guard), which is very nice. Not only does he have Overwatch and Supporting Fire, but he can fire Overwatch against multiple targets in a single phase. Two squads of Raptors about to assault some nearby Firewarriors? Not a problem, Longstrike can unleash dakka upon both of them!

(P. 72) Now, while the Point Defense Targeting Relay confers Supporting Fire and allows a vehicle to fire Overwatch with Strength 5 weapons (or less), Longstrike has no such specification. I believe he can fire whatever weapon he wants! I'm not sure if there is a limitation on how many weapons can be fired for Overwatch.
wilderun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2013, 19:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I believe besides the lack of limitation to secondary weapons as with the point defense targeting relay, normal limits to overwatch still apply. That would be one weapon only. But being the only vehicle I've ever heard of that can fire overwatch any number of times, he's very useful to have within 6 inches of a position you don't want assaulted.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2013, 10:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I did not find in the rulebook or FAQs a specification that Overwatch cannot be fired with multiple weapons. Do you know a page number where this is cited? On page 21 where the rule is described it merely states that Overwatch is "resolved like a normal shooting attack."
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You may only fire one weapon in the Shooting Phase per model, unless something else lets you, (Multi-Trackers.)
Old 28 Oct 2013, 04:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, but Longstrike is an upgrade for a vehicle, vehicles can fire all of their weapons.