Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Xv107
Old 11 Oct 2013, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Xv107

The rules for the XV107 are up on the Forgeworld site... and it's pretty interesting.
It's a heavy support option that looks pretty well geared for dropping hordes of infantry (2 S6 AP3 Large blasts, or 4 with a nova charge)... it's even better at it than a regular riptide. I don't think it's what the Tau needed... but it's cool all the same.
Check it out on the forgeworld site and share your thoughts.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2013, 22:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The additional Toughness and Wound make this baby obscenely hard to kill, not to mention that 4++ against shooting! The Pulse Submunition Cannons are designed for slaughtering MEQs, and the price is a full70 points higher! It feels like an Ionhead and Broadside replacement.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Considering this can still take the normal upgrades for a Riptide I'd say this very easily replaces an ionhead or a broadside team and may do it's job even better.

Flying MC's and any vehicle type fall under the S8 triple-hit category, so you can imagine what this would do to aircraft. Using the special nova charge ability, with a Velocity Tracker and EWO it would give you on average 6 S8 AP3 hits.

Infantry is gorgeously easy as well. Instead of a single pieplate from an ionhead or 24 shots from a broadside team, you get 2 - 4 S6 AP3 pie plates that'll wipe any infantry short of TEQ's.

Light vehicles are similarly easy. Bikes are S7 AP3, but any other vehicle type gets the S8 triple hit devastation. Absurdly powerful.

All on a T7 W6 model with an inbuilt 4++ against shooting? I'll gladly pay the 80 point premium. Though I highly doubt these rules will stay that way. This seems amazingly good even for 260 pts.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2013, 08:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Blast templates can't target fliers...there's your caveat... :/
Old 12 Oct 2013, 10:53   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Unless said blast weapons possess the skyfire trait, which is something I need to scour the rulebook for once I am home.

Also, bear in mind, the XV107's weapons are pulse weapons, therefore the Ethereal can affect it with Storm of Fire. Also, I looked at the wording, the Nova Reactor says the weapon is fired twice. Being within half range with Storm of Fire active means you get an additional shot. This means each firing launches two blasts, and there are four firings.

Done right, this thing can launch 8 blasts, and against the right target, hit 24 times at S8 AP3.

Even if it can't skyfire, this thing just says no to any sort of non-TEQ reserve unit that isn't in the air. Emperor help it if it is a vehicle without AV14.

Last edited by Fuoren; 12 Oct 2013 at 10:55.
Fuoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2013, 11:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Template weapons do not affect fliers, even if you give them Skyfire.

Also the Pulse Submunition Rifle for XV9s was said by an FW employee to not be affected by Ethereals, so this will follow suit. You would only get six shots anyway, if it did.

Let's be honest, 6 shots is stupid. 4 is still pretty stupid, it's going to get nerfed like hell pretty soon, I bet.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 13:18   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

no,they will sell at least a 1000 or so before they nerf it to pieces
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2013, 14:50   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I pre-ordered two of them. Why? Because they're only 9 dollars more than a Riptide, and comes with a bunch of fancy resin.

I also like playing Battletech in an infantry Skirmish game.

In any case, as for the pulse weapon ruling I'd hope it'd be clarified in an actual hard FAQ, and flat out said "NO, that doesn't work you powergaming dick!" Because that message is clearly meant for people like me.

I also can't see how they would nerf it further. It doesn't ignore cover on it's own like other pre-existing pulse submunitions (Thank god..) and it doesn't have any of the fancy firing modes of the experimental rifle on R'Alai. It's supposed to be tankier than a normal riptide and costs 80 points more before upgrades, and lost it's jet pack. Clusterfire is what makes it scream OP, and situationally, it is, but otherwise it only has two nova reactor abilities worth a damn, and the shockwave is going to be an extremely situational use. Clusterfire keeps it from being a shitty version of the Wraithknight in almost all aspects.
Fuoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2013, 00:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Play tested it today and it was obscene against a Chaos army. Absolutely slaughtered everything on the board. I felt bad playing the damned thing!
Old 13 Oct 2013, 22:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

and don't their new weapons get more wounds against bikers and jetpacks and stuff. this is kind of like giving the new marine book the finger

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote