Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders with rail rifles
Old 08 Oct 2013, 19:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Pathfinders with rail rifles

Does anyone else use them?

I recently tried them out in larger battles 2500-4000points) in my 2nd FOC.

4 pathfinders, 3 with rails, shas 'ui, pulse accelerator drone for those vital 6 inch extra range, 1-2 shield drones (so they last at least long enough to do their jobs).

I have been using them to kill elite infantry, fast attack and light transports.

The fact that it's such a small unit and that they are shooting at such long range has resulted (most of the time anyway) in getting at least 1-2 turns of shooting before my oponents become anoyed enough at them to dedicate something with enough range to shoot them. Exept for one battle that went extremely bad for me( don't ask) they have lasted me at least 4 turns - and several times even survived the battle.
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2013, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

It makes sense to me. Almost functions like our own high AP heavy weapons team. If you're using rails though why do you have a pulse accelerator drone? It only affects pulse weapons. The only thing I don't like about using them is the high cost. If you could toss a few of those weapons in a firewarrior squad that'd be a little better, but each rail rifle model costs 26 pts before additional squad equipment. That's alot to pay for T3, 5+ save, and BS3. One of these fully equipped doesn't cost much less than a sniper drone team. For the point cost the AP1 ability doesn't seem well worth it to me. Considering you average 1.5 hits since the limit of rail rifles is 3, it seems like it'd just be better to take a sniper team instead. Ends up doing more damage, slightly better survivability and can provide markerlights all with more reliability.

To fill the anti-heavy infantry / anti-transport role, I'd rather spend the points on crisis suits. This team is enough points to buy two decently kitted out suits.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2013, 20:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I know people who absolutely swear by them... but I can't really give an opinion other than hearsay since I haven't used them enough on my own.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2013, 20:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ehhhh, I can see why people like them. There's so much out there about combo-ing with Darkstrider and a Grav Drone to make a "slippery" TEQ/MEQ Instant Death unit.

But they're too bloody fragile every time I attempted it, and they'll fall to fire long before anyone bothers to shoot them. Contrary to fluff, Pathfinders don't belong within 15" of such tough units.

You can put the points for them towards a Crisis suit with Plasma Rifles, pretty much. Who will be much more of a thorn in the ass for the enemy.
Old 08 Oct 2013, 21:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh, I'm not claiming by far that they are the best or cheapest option out there - it's just I had 2 more fast attack slots open and these seemd usefull in this way.
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2013, 22:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Given the other options in Fast Attack...they're a waste, IMO.
Old 08 Oct 2013, 23:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you're dealing with hordes, a couple of ion rifles would never go amiss for a cheap source of S8 large blast

Hive Fleet Corona: 2000 points

Shas'o Bork'an Da'ya Chel'el (Tau commander Dark lightning): 900 points
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2013, 23:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I never have any luck with those, my Pathfinders melt themselves by Turn 3! xD
Old 09 Oct 2013, 00:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not doubtful of their capability. If you're good with placing them and providing more tempting shooting targets they're probably not half bad. The fact that nearly every battle report I've ever read has pathfinders wiped off the table by the top of turn 3 is telling.

In this role for this cost, I'd rather have a few more crisis suits in most situations.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2013, 00:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's weird because most battle reports that i've seen show pathies making it the whole way through with little damage

Hive Fleet Corona: 2000 points

Shas'o Bork'an Da'ya Chel'el (Tau commander Dark lightning): 900 points
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote