Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Elementals and Warlord Trait distances
Old 06 Oct 2013, 18:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Elementals and Warlord Trait distances

In the codex, many of the Warlord and Elemental "Powers", and for that matter also the Supporting Fire special rule, indicate that the ability affects all units "within 6/12 inches." When a warlord is a member of a unit, is this distance counted from the Warlord/Elemental? or from the closest member of the unit to which the Warlord/Elemental is currently a member? If my Commander is in a squad of Crisis Suits, I can totally see how no other unit can even stand close enough to be in range.

I assume that the Supporting Fire rule allows me to count any units with at least 1 member within 6" of a model of the unit being charged... correct? So what's to stop me from putting my Elemental in a unit of Fire Warriors and stringing them out in a long line so that the Warlord/Elemental's skills can affect all of the units in my entire army?
efalsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2013, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Warlord trait buffs are always measured from the base of the individual model. Using the Ethereal powers as an example, the rule states all friendly non-vehicle models within 12". Because it does not specify his unit, it is assumed that it only effects models within 12" regardless. This means that it can effect partial units. If a unit of firewarriors is near the Ethereal, 6 are within 12" and 6 are outside 12", only the 6 models within range get the benefits of the Ethereal power. The rest of the unit does not.

The only exception to this is the way leadership works. Leadership checks are always made using the highest leadership in the unit. Thus, if even one firewarrior is in range of the Ethereal, the whole unit can benefit from his leadership.

The Supporting Fire special rule functions entirely on a unit by unit basis. Because of this, the distance used to determine range is closest model to closest model. If at least one model of a unit is within 6" of an assaulted unit, for the purposes of supporting fire the whole unit is considered to be in range and can fire overwatch as well if it chooses to.

The restriction is all in wording. Units is very different from models.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2013, 20:11   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks. It makes sense. I missed the "models within".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCast View Post
Warlord trait buffs are always measured from the base of the individual model. Using the Ethereal powers as an example, the rule states all friendly non-vehicle models within 12". Because it does not specify his unit, it is assumed that it only effects models within 12" regardless. This means that it can effect partial units. If a unit of firewarriors is near the Ethereal, 6 are within 12" and 6 are outside 12", only the 6 models within range get the benefits of the Ethereal power. The rest of the unit does not.

The only exception to this is the way leadership works. Leadership checks are always made using the highest leadership in the unit. Thus, if even one firewarrior is in range of the Ethereal, the whole unit can benefit from his leadership.

The Supporting Fire special rule functions entirely on a unit by unit basis. Because of this, the distance used to determine range is closest model to closest model. If at least one model of a unit is within 6" of an assaulted unit, for the purposes of supporting fire the whole unit is considered to be in range and can fire overwatch as well if it chooses to.

efalsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2013, 18:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCast View Post

Actually, the Ethereal's ability reads: "all friendly non-vehicle models from this codex in units within 12""

Streamlined: "all models in units within 12""(We already know they are friendly, non-vehicle, and from this codex)

Broken down: units within 12"; all models in unit

The extra words can kind of confuse if you dont read it carefully.

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2013, 19:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You changed "models" to "units" there.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 20:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon

I didnt change anything...Its a direct quote from the codex pg 35 under Invocation of the Elements. The key phrase is "units within 12""

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
LoneDragon is offline   Reply With Quote