Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sniper Drone Teams as dedicated markerlights
Old 01 Oct 2013, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Sniper Drone Teams as dedicated markerlights

Just wondering what the general consensus is about using these solely as markerlight units? Obviously it takes up a heavy support slot and most of the sniper drone hits are wasted on vehicles however it is one of the only sources of high BS ML support in the 'dex. Opinions?
Arufel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2013, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Most people here like them, I'm kind of meh about them myself, don't care much for the fluff of using them as dedicated marker light units, as well as their lack of mobility

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2013, 17:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I love 'em as they sport a 4+ Armour, with Stealth. Pretty survivable and the FS Marksmen only cost 2 points more than a Pathfinder.

Sure, you have to take 3 Drones minimum, but they're handy for a little extra fire and some ablative wounds.

They cost the same as 7 and a half Pathfinders, and are pretty much as reliable while being more survivable.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 18:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Do you usually set them up behind an Aegis for extra cover? I like the idea of the BS5 markerlights however do find that the sniper rounds are often wasted? Reliable markerlights are hard to find seeing as pathfinders are so squishy!
Old 01 Oct 2013, 18:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Fire them at the correct target. I only ever use one, and set aside my Fast Attack for Pathfinders/Tetras. The Sniper Team only fire at high Toughness targets to make good use of their fire, though if I'm desperate, they'll light up whatever I need lit up.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 22:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

They're generally useful for defending troops on foot from whatever it coming at them. Barring tank shock, they're going to put wounds on just about any non-vehicle unit (even some vehicles due to rending) and in turn the troops with them can spend the markerlights to shred whatever is still standing. Keep in mind as well that markerlights can be used in overwatch, so putting one of these next to a pair of firewarrior teams can be great in helping them out in overwatch.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2013, 13:06   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Also, with three BS5 market lights, or even just one or two, you can light up a tough unit once and make it a lot easier for a Pathfinder unit to hit with their marker lights - thus starting a marker light cascade.
Bhazakhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2013, 13:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've got to admit that I've never been a big fan of the cascade idea. To me it seems like wasting valuable points in order to get limited results. Better to have reliable sources of markerlights in the first place than rely on a tactic like this.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 13:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah that's a good point. If you're focus firing a unit down you prob only need 4-5 lights on it and that's one pathfinder unit on average really.
Bhazakhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2013, 15:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

You've hit the nail on the head there. Ignores cover and +2 BS costs 4 markerlights. This is usually enough for most units to use effectively. I actually tried some last weekend and the drones were very effective especially with an ethereal. I used them alongside small units of fire warriors that could use the markerlights to clean up units not outright destroyed by the drones.