Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight Anti-Horde Unit
Old 26 Sep 2013, 20:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Farsight Anti-Horde Unit

In designing some Farsight supplement lists and using them for allies, I've noticed that the minimal number of suits and tendency toward anti-vehicle / anti-TEQ weapons makes even fairly large lists short on anti-infantry punch.

Short of relying on Riptide or Hammerhead pieplates (which do help quite a bit) there is a need for a troop unit that fills the roll of firewarriors while being more mobile. So here is my suggestion

Crisis Suit Team - 210 pts

- Bonding Ritual

Shas'ui
- Burst Cannon x2
- Advanced Targeting System
-Gun Drone x2

Shas'ui
- Burst Cannon x2
- Gun Drone x2

Shas'ui
- Burst Cannon x2
- Gun Drone x2

Crisis Commander (can be optional) - 167 pts
- Burst Cannon x2
- Drone Controller
- Vectored Retro-Thrusters
- Iridium Armor
- Gun Drone x2

So, the whole thing costs 377 pts which is quite a bit. Crisis commanders are always expensive though, and it's not like you don't have enough things you could do with him. But, here's what this unit will get you. It's all 18" range but Thrust Moves help mitigate return fire. The commander with his 2+ armor and T5 stays out front and tanks infantry fire easily. Gun drones can pull Look Out Sir if he gets hit hard, for some reason.

The 4 suits put out 32 S5 A5 shots, 8 of those at BS5. Additionally, the gun drones put out 18 more S5 AP5 shots at BS5, and with twin-linked puts their hit average at 97% (tearcups, gentlemen. Get them ready) So a grand total of 48 shots which will average around 36 hits (which is what you'd get if the whole unit was BS3 twin-linked) against any T3 models that will result in 30 wounds, 15 unsaved if you happen to be shooting at necrons or tau or something with a 4+ save. I'd even be half decent against MEQ's and TEQ's, scoring 10 and 5 unsaved wounds respectively. All of this is coming from a 12 man unit that can JSJ, have 18 wounds with a leadership of 10, a 2+ sv T5 tanking model and enough W2 repositioning and look out sir rolls to make it really hard to kill with anything short of anti-tank weapons.

Last but not least, since each crisis suit has precision shot of 6, (commander has a character get its automatically) that means that it will on average be able to pick off 5 models of your choosing. That pretty much ensures you can alpha away heavy weapons before they can even reply.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 22:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Guardsmen would just spontaneously combust if that unit dropped in behind their aegis

Hive Fleet Corona: 2000 points

Shas'o Bork'an Da'ya Chel'el (Tau commander Dark lightning): 900 points
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2013, 09:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've always wanted to field something like this, but my meta is too MEQ/TEQ heavy.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 04:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're not going fire warriors in the Farsight supplement (which is a fine choice, since honestly, I'd only be taking them for devilfish cover for the battlesuits anyways), then the double burst cannon crisis suit is going to be your best bet for clearing a crowd beyond the solid level of pie plates you should be expecting to put down.

That said, and while I see why you are going for it; I view that commander as a bit of a point sink for a unit intended for taking down numbers with numbers and would certainly view him as optional to the overall choice (even discouraging designing him with this specific battlefield role in mind). My thoughts on this are that a Support'O tailored specifically to support this unit is a tad limiting in its overall tactical exploits; much better in my eyes to either use a Support'O on marker drones which can go into support the BS of your entire army as necessary... or else at least set your Shas'O free from the binding of this unit in particular so that if you do end up facing something other than blobs of infantry he can team up with other squads, or hang back and support the fight on his own.

And just to nitpick a little more... why does this squad really need the ATS? It's purpose is to swamp a unit with wounds, not snipe out characters. I can see it for special weapons if you've got the points to spare, but if you want to trim the fat on this unit down to its bare essentials, you can drop those too.

All that said... "lots of dakka!" was the motto of many a player throughout the game's history and this unit certainly does it. If I end up building my Farsight army in full, your concept is just about spot on with how I'd planned to deal with horde beyond template weapons.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2013, 23:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I certainly agree with the commander being specifically optional. It would be very easy to do this with 6 gun drones on the team and a commander with the same equipment except with plasma rifles. That would give him more tactical flexibility while still helping out this squad if it needed it. As it stands this configuration might be excessive for most units that it might encounter. The equipment choice is fully customizable to the exact needs of the unit.

In this case, I included ATS to give the unit a better chance at sniping out heavy weapons, HQ pieces and squad leaders. It gives them an easier time surviving return fire if there is any, taking out a model that needs to die but is buried in the back of the unit, or eliminating leadership boosts and other powers that might make the unit tougher or more resistant to leadership checks.

As the unit is above, 6.66 precision shots per turn. It might not have a very high chance of taking out marine HQ's, but it would take out 5 - 6 heavy weapons a turn. It could easily clear out a commissar, or a priest. If the unit isn't wiped out, it would at least be more vulnerable to it's leadership check, and that much less capable of hurting the unit in return.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 00:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's what I figured you were going for with the ATS. It's definitely not a bad idea if you've got a handful of points leftover.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2013, 00:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's cheap, generally effective and works fine on models that you don't need target locks or VRT for.