View Poll Results: Skyray vs Hammerhead
Hammerhead 7 87.50%
Skyray 0 0%
equal number 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Sep 2013, 23:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Post Sky ray vs hammerhead

OK, so a guy on my street is selling a few hammerheads and skyrays, im probably going to buy 2 of one and 1 of the other, and was wondering which one you guys would recommend!
(Rai'xar roughly translates to 'cut off armor', thus 'rendmetal')

Skyfire Cadre: 1589 points
RendMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hammerheads are going to serve you more reliably than the skyray in my opinion. It's not that the skyray is bad, it's a very well balanced option... but the skyray has the main benefit of skyfire which is situational, while the hammerhead has the benefit of firepower which is always useful.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 03:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd say if you're going to get three, grab two hammerheads and one skyray. If you're just going to get two I'd get two hammerheads. Skyrays are good and all, but the vast majority of lists will use hammerheads. Not all, but most. The fact is that the hammerhead is enormously flexible since you have two primary and two secondary weapons to choose from where the skyray really only has one configuration. You can do anti-blob, anti-AV14, and anti-MEQ all in one vehicle.

I'd almost never build a list without at least one, and very few lists I have about 1250 pts have less than two. Plus if you decide later on that you'd want a skyray, you can pretty easily pick up a skyray turret on eBay. Sellers part out the new box all the time, and sell the skyray / hammerhead turret / devilfish sprues separately. You can do the same for a hammerhead turret as well but trust me, try out a pair of railheads and tell me you don't love them.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 06:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hammerhead all the way. Skyrays are handy against fliers, but they run out missiles and become mostly useless by turn three.

Ionheads are awesome when facing Space Marines, Railheads for taking out heavy armour and chewing up some infantry blobs.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 07:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I disagree with skyrays becomming useless... Yes they only have 6 seekers - no you cannot give them 2 more for an upgrade - but with SMS they still have their use (yes you can get those on a suit as well) and they also can provide extra cover for a unit of FW or pathfinders

just my 2c
tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 09:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

SMS is still basically nothing. The two Markerlights are more useful for support, but it still doesn't have any teeth once the payload is gone.

Hammerheads are capable of doing everything from start to finish, unless they're destroyed or otherwise, and can take two Seeker Missiles themselves.

Skyrays only hold the advantage in situations where you need anti air, and even then I'd argue that two Missilesides are a better investment, putting out 8 TL S7 shots and 8 SMS shots.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 10:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The only way that the skyray can continue to be tremendously useful is if you're facing a heavy flier army AND have seeker missiles on other models in the army. Because it has skyfire built in, it can provide two markerlights that can fire on fliers at full BS. Otherwise using the markerlights in support of other units isn't really all that different from any other markerlight source.

More or less, it is possible with the skyray to have an anti-flier defense solely of seeker missiles. Seeing as the seeker missile can be fired at anything and is decently strong, (S8 AP3, BS5 if guided by a markerlight) any leftovers can be used against vehicles should all the fliers be swatted out of the sky. Since seeker missiles don't count toward the number of weapons a unit is allowed to fire this can be done pretty easily. The only disadvantage is that if a unit fires a seeker at a target it can't fire it's other weapons at anything else.

Using a skyray for this purpose in concert with broadsides or devilfish with seekers attached doesn't really compromise those unit's usefulness, and it means you don't have to buy a single velocity tracker upgrade anywhere in the army. The weakness is of course that if the skyray is taken out while enemy fliers are still around, it's bad news bears. Additionally since each seeker costs 8 pts and won't necessarily do much (32% chance to hit & pen on AV11, 14% to hit & glance) It's not really the least expensive or the most reliable way to get rid of fliers. That's probably why you almost never see lots of seekers in an army.

Last edited by ColdCast; 26 Sep 2013 at 13:24.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 12:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Seekers are AP3 IIRC, so you don't even get any help rolling for Vehicle Damage. Still, I take them on Fusion Pirahnas for the small chance they might hurt a Rhino as they close in on Turn 1.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 12:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Don't disregard seeker missiles completely. Sure, there are better investments but I have seen a seeker missile sink a full health defiler on turn one.

Hive Fleet Corona: 2000 points

Shas'o Bork'an Da'ya Chel'el (Tau commander Dark lightning): 900 points
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2013, 12:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Penning on a 6? It's a nice shot, and lucky, but I don't build my armies on luck, sadly.