Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlereport: 1350pt Playtest Tau vs. CSM
Old 22 Sep 2013, 22:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Battlereport: 1350pt Playtest Tau vs. CSM

A friend and I got to together a few days ago to run a playtest. After running a lower point list we decided to run our "maximum" just to get a feel for what a higher list level plays like. As a result we settled on a 1350 point limit. This was largely due to the fact that he had little more ready to use, and I was also severely limited by the units I had finished as well. So a note here. Both of these lists are not any ideal for this list level, and rather reflect the limitations of our current armies.

My Tau List: Total of 1355 pts (Includes Farsight Allies: 1 HQ, 1 Troop, 1 Heavy Support)

Headquarters - Total: 217 pts

Crisis Commander (167 pts)

• Plasma Rifles x2
• Drone Controller
• Target Lock
• Puretide Engram Nanochip
• Marker Drone x2

Ethereal x 1 (50 pts)

Troops - Total: 574 pts

Fire Warriors x 9 (81 pts)

• Pulse Rifles (free)

Fire Warriors x 9 (81 pts)

• Pulse Rifles (free)

Devilfish x 1 (95 pts)

• Disruption Pod

Devilfish x 1 (95 pts)

• Disruption Pod

Crisis Suit Team x 3 (222 pts)

• Plasma Rifles x2
• Target Lock
• Fusion Blasters x2
• Target Lock
• Fusion Blasters x2
• Target Lock
• Bonding Ritual
• Marker Drones x4

Heavy Support - Total: 564 pts

Hammerhead Gunship x 1 (145 pts)

• Submunition Rounds
• Twin-linked Smart Missile System
• Disruption Pod

• Submunition Rounds
• Disruption Pod

• Submunition Rounds
• Disruption Pod

Sniper Drone Team x 1 (129 pts)

• Firesight Marksman x3
• Sniper Drone x 6

Opposing Chaos Space Marines List: Total of 1352 Points

Headquarters - Total: 274 pts

Chaos Lord

• Terminator Weapon Suite
• Combi-Melta
• Melta Bombs
• Other equipment (not sure of loadout)

Warpsmith

• Combi-Melta
• Other equipment (not sure of loadout)

Troops - Total: 445 pts

Chaos Marines x 7 (184 pts)

• Plasma Gun x1
• Melta Bombs x1
• Mark of Tzeench x7
• Icon of Flame
• Rhino Transport
• Havoc Launcher

Chaos Marines x 7 (184 pts)

• Plasma Gun x1
• Melta Bombs x1
• Mark of Tzeench x7
• Icon of Flame
• Rhino Transport
• Havoc Launcher

Chaos Cultists x 10 (77 pts)

• Autoguns x10
• Champion Shotgun
• Heavy Stubber x1
• Mark of Tzeench

Elite - Total: 506 pts

Chaos Terminators x8 (376 pts)

• Combi-flamer x1
• Heavy Flamer
• Chainfist x3
• Lightning Claw Pair x2
• Powerfist x3
• Mark of Tzeench x8

Hellbrute (130 pts)

• Twin-Linked Lascannon

Heavy Support - Total: 132 pts

Predator x 1 (132 pts)

• Twin-linked Lascannon
• Heavy Bolter Sponsons
• Havoc Launcher

Setup and Deployment

We utilised the Relic gametype, with a Hammer and Anvil deployment. The relic was placed in the exact center, with a large wall blocking the view from my deployment zone. There were 3 small impassable buildings on each side, and 3 small ruins. This made for a map with decently heavy cover between deployment zones, with several lanes barely big enough to fit our tanks through.

Tau

I won the roll off for deployment, and started one hammerhead on the far left side of the map along an alley that stretched most of the length of the map. Behind it was one devilfish with a firewarrior team embarked. The opposite side of my deployment zone I placed my other two hammerheads near each other behind two small ruins, with the second devilfish behind it. I placed the sniper team near the center of the map behind the ruin blocking my view of the relic, with the ethereal joined with them. The crisis commander and crisis team are held in reserve. The commander receive Ghost Who Walks Amungst Us for his warlord trait.

CSM

My friend gains a warlord trait that allows him to infiltrate units, and rolls to get three. As such he deploys one marine team embarked behind cover near the center of the map, with his predator deployed near it also in cover. He places his cultists in cover near the left side of the map. Then he infiltrates his hellbrute and attached warpsmith in, placing them in cover to the left side just in front of my deployment zone. Another embarked marine team is placed in cover near the relic, off to the right side. Lastly his 8-man terminator team is placed on top of the relic, directly opposite the ruin from my sniper team.

Turn One

Tau

He fails to steal the initiative, I go first. Flat out most of my vehicles forward, except the hammerhead on the left side of the map since it has a shot on a terminator out of cover. Sniper team moves more to the left to be able to aim down the closest alleyway to the relic.

Manage to hit the terminator with a solid shot from the railgun, it fails its save. Nothing else is fired.

CSM

He moves up the closest Rhino to the relic and blocks the alleyway to the right of the relic with it, disembarking his marines behind. His second rhino moves up into the alley to the left of the relic, popping smoke and disembarking troops as well. His predator moves up slightly to get a shot at my sniper team. The hellbrute peaks his lascannon around the corner of the long alley to the left of the map to get a shot at my leftmost devilfish.

His Predator and left marine squad open up on my sniper team, downing two sniper drones. Mark of fire takes down a third drone. His hellbrute takes a shot at the devilfish but it's jink save shrugs the hit.

Turn Two

Tau

Sniper team consolidates into better cover, and my leftmost devilfish moves closer and droops its firewarrior team. The hammerhead behind it also moves nearer to the sniper team to get shots. The two hammerheads on the right also move up for shots on the relic area, and the rightmost devilfish flats out a second time to outflank the terminators and marines. I roll a 3 on my reserve roll, and my crisis team drops in behind his predator. They roll a hit on their scatter roll and land about 6" off its left side.

Sniper team markerlights the marine unit in the open on the left side of the relic, hitting it with the sniper drones as well taking 4 marines. The newly disembarked firewarriors also open up, only taking one more marine. The nearby hammerhead drops submunitions on the same target and scatters off wildly. The marines pass their leadership check. My right hammerhead pair both fire on his righthand rhino currently blocking the alley, scoring a weapon destroyed and crew stunned penetrating hits. I forget to fire my SMS missiles at the marines in range. Last the crisis team opens up within melta range of his predator, wrecking it. The two crisis suits with plasma rifles turn to his lefthand rhino and score a glancing and penetrating hit, immobilising it. They then thrust move into cover behind the wrecked predator.

CSM

His marines now have the relic, and move 6" to the left away from my tanks. Most of his terminators come around the corner on my sniper team, and his hellbrute and warpsmith come through a ruined wall toward my firewarrior team. Both are comfortably within assault range. He repairs his immobilized rhino moving it closer to the marine squad with the relic.

His terminators open up on my sniper team, dropping the last 3 sniper drones and one marksman. The hellbrute and warpsmith fires into my firewarriors, taking out 6. His terminators then try to assault the remains of the sniper team and fail. The warpsmith then assaults the firewarrior team and kills the last three. Last the hellbrute assaults my devilfish, inflincting one penetrating hit which destroys one of the mounted gun drones.

Turn Three

Tau

The crisis team moves out to cover in order to engage the retreating marine squads, jumping partially over the wreck. Only the fusion blasters end up with shots. The righthand devilfish moves up further and disemarks the second squad of firewarriors, who move up to within rapid fire range of the marines. The two righthand hammerheads move up some to get shots on the assaulting units. The lefthand hammerhead moves back, as do the ethereal and sniper team. The lefthand devilfish flats out across the enemy units to put itself between the terminators and the ethereal.

The lefthand hammerhead fires at the hellbrute, inflicting a glancing hit. One of the righthand hammerheads also fires at the hellbrute and misses. The third hammerhead fires again at the righthand rhino and scores an explode, clearing the ally but inflicting no further damage. I one again forget to fire the SMS missiles. The second firewarrior team opens up on the marines and take out 1. The crisis team fires at the second marine team to the left of the relic and scores kills 2, wiping the unit. The crisis team then thrust moves over the partial cover to position itself closer to the marine unit than the firewarriors hoping to draw fire.

CSM

The hellbrute and warpsmith move up to the leftmost hammerhead, the warpsmith repairing the immobilzed result from the hellbrute's crazed roll. The terminators turn back toward the marine team carrying the relic, running toward the crisis and firewarrior teams. The group of cultists lying in wait near the corner of the map jump out toward the remaining rhino but are not in the way yet. The rhino moves up closer to his marine team to try and pick them up.

The hellbrute fires twice at the leftmost hammerhead from his crazed roll, scoring a glancing and penetrating hit that causes crew shaken. The warpsmith also fires but his meltagun shot bounces off the front armor. The rhino and the marine squad open up on the crisis suit team, scoring four wounds. This drops one fusion blaster suit and puts two wounds on the crisis commander.

Turn Four

Tau

The firewarrior team and devilfish move closer to keep within rapid fire range of the marine team, and the crisis team moves closer as well to get rapid fire out of the plasma rifles. The leftmost hammerhead flats out over cover to get away from the hellbrute, and the sniper team embarks on the devilfish moving to the side of the hammerhead. The two righthand hammerheads both move up, one toward the runing terminator squad and the other toward the hellbrute.

One of the righthand hammerheads fires at the hellbute and fails to penetrate. The crisis team opens up on the terminator squad, scoring 5 markerlights and killing 4. The other righthand hammerhead fires submunitions at the terminator squad and scatters off wildly. Once again forget to fire the SMS missiles. The firewarrior team is no longer in rapid fire range (shot them out of order) and manages to kill one more terminator bringing the squad down to two. They pass their leadership check. The crisis team then thrust moves toward the remaining rhino.

CSM

The hellbrute moves up to get a shot at the lefthand devilfish, but the warpsmith remains out of range and repairs the glancing hit on the hellbrute. The terminators move up toward the crisis team. The marines with the relic board the rhino and it moves away 6". The cultists move closer to the rhino but are still not in the way.

The terminator squad and the rhino fire into the crisis team, inflicting one wound on another suit and one more wound on the crisis commander. The hellbrute fires at the devilfish and scores a glancing hit. The terminators attempt to assault the firewarrior team and fail.

Turn Five

Tau

I move the lefthand hammerhead back away from the hellbrute, and flat out the devilfish carrying the ethreal back even further. The rightmost hammerheads stay where they are. The firewarrior team and its devilfish move upvtoward the remaining terminators, and the crisis team moves closer to the retreating rhino.

The lefthand hammerhead fires at the hellbrute and misses. One of the righthand hammerheads fires at it as well as scores an explode, dropping it. The other hammerhead then fires at the rhino and scores a penetrating hit, taking the last hull point and wrecking it. The firewarriors fire into the terminators and kill the last two, wiping that unit as well. The crisis team has no angle on the marines now out of the wrecked rhino, and instead thrust moves closer to them to try and retrieve the relic.

CSM

With the hellbrute gone, the warpsmith retreats back into cover. The marine squad is pinned from failing their leadership roll from the rhino being wrecked and stand up. The cultists continue to run, moving in between the marines and my units.

End of Game

My friend rolls to see if the game continues and gets a 4, thus giving us a round 6. On seeing that the game will continue he forfeits.

Result for Tau:
2 Victory Points (Linebreaker, First Blood)
Kill Points: 864
Units Killed: 5
Units Lost: 1

Result for CSM:
3 Victory Points (Relic Held)
Kill Points: 253
Units Killed: 1
Units Lost: 5

So, had he not forfeited and had been able to hold onto the relic CSM would have won on victory points. Had we been counting kill points, my over 600 point lead would have bought a victory for the Tau. As it stands I had won on forfeit.

Again, I can emphasise enough the fact that these armies were hodge-podge. We are both still waiting on units that we would want to include in a 1000 pt match much less one this large. Since I had the parts to convert a devilfish into a third hammerhead and could fit a fourth heavy support option in from a farsight allies list, the vehicle firepower gave me a significant advantage. His army had only two lascannons for ranged anti-tank, along with two plasma rifles, and two meltaguns. It is because of this that I was able to keep all of my vehicles alive (albiet one hammerhead and one devilfish were down to one hull point each).

Despite this, he was able to successfully assault two units of mine, nearly wiping the drone team and killing an entire firewarrior squad in one turn. Additionally, his central positioning and infiltrate made it impossible for me to keep the relic away from him. He had controlled it or the cover around it the entire match. As a result the only way I would have won is on kill points, or if I had been able to kill the marine carrying the relic before the end of turn 6.

Tau Unit Take Away

The sniper team would have done better if there were any cover on our map that they could have been positioned into. Other than that it performed well considering, taking out more than half a marine squad and providing markerlights as well as leadership boosts.

The hammerheads did very well, even without longstrike they were able to get several hits on vehicles. Granted I fired no railguns at anything above AV12 so, that is most likely why

Crisis team. I was originally skeptical of embedding my primary markerlight source in a close range crisis team that I wanted to deepstrike. In reality it worked out fantastically well. Markerlights helped me wipe two heavy infantry units, and positioning helped keep the drones alive even with some blast templates hitting them. The 4 plasma rifle 4 fusion blaster weapon combo worked very well. But I think the biggest thing that make it work well was the 3D6" Thrust move. For that alone I am now tempted to buy and run shadowsun in a similar configuration.

The fustration of scatter rolls: Both times my hammerheads scattered they were markerlight supplemented with BS6. I rolled 11's on both rolls. Just goes to show that no scatter roll is a sure thing.

Last edited by ColdCast; 22 Sep 2013 at 22:41.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2013, 22:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, lights embedded in a crisis team when they all have target locks really works well. I run that trick all the time - it's never failed to pull it's weight

Hive Fleet Corona: 2000 points

Shas'o Bork'an Da'ya Chel'el (Tau commander Dark lightning): 900 points
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote