Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

forge-world hammerhead weapons
Old 15 Sep 2013, 16:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Question forge-world hammerhead weapons

are they any good or has anyone used them? im thinking i might get a fusion or missile turret, but i wanted to know what other people think of them before i have to sell my soul to get a forge world order
Old 15 Sep 2013, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

not worth it for the real money cost, imo

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2013, 22:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well let's see:

The fusion cannon is 24" S8 AP1 Assault 1 twin-linked blast melta. Never heard of a blast melta weapon before. Anyway at S8 you'd probably have to be in melta range to get through higher armor values, but then again at 12" melta range you'll get through it pretty well (average roll result of 7, penetrating AV14). In my experience, 12 inches is far, far too close to get a hammerhead. Then again it's the only other AP1 option, and a 50% chance of blowing a tank on a melta hit is what makes our fusion blaster so good and this thing does it at 12" on a AV13 chasis. It is however the most expensive option (30 pts).

The missile pods are 36" S7 AP4 Assault 2 twin-linked blast. Also interesting and potentially useful. Gives a hammerhead two S7 blasts at 36" instead of one S6 large blast at 72" with railgun submunitions. It could very easily be a great troop killer, with SMS at 30" that gives you decent firepower. Personally I think this is the best option, potentially replacing broadsides or a sniper team in the anti-infantry blob and light vehicle role while being less expensive (a standard hammerhead equipped with this would come to 161 pts)

The plasma cannon turret is an odd thing because its 48" S7 AP3 Heavy 4, twin-linked. It doesn't have the AP2 from plasma rifles, so it won't drop the armor from termies (not that you'd waste shots on them anyway) and won't get the better vehicle damage bonus from AP2. It is heavy 4 though, and with S7 it stands a good chance of annihilating anything with medium armor. However considering that we have other things for this and it'd be replacing a railhead, not worth it I'd say. Tau are desperate enough for anti-AV14.

Last is the long barreled burst cannons. 36" S6 AP4 Assault 6 twin linked. Well, 6 twin linked shots, the biggest question is whether or not it gets skyfire. I've heard it from more than one person but not entirely sure myself. Either way, 6 S6 shots isn't bad against infantry, and it would make all the 'heads weapons twin-linked making 12" cruising moves all the more hilarious. Once again though, our codex has other things that do this, and unless we can start ordering hammehead squadrons it's going to eat up invaluable heavy support space.

Personally if I had the money, I'd want to give the missile pods a try. Fusion cannons are an interesting option, but I fear they're too short ranged to do any good. Dropping 2/3 the range and 2 strength from a railgun, I'd want a hell of a lot more than one melta blast. Then again if you happen to catch three vehicles with the thing, nothing will ever be more hilarious. So that's a close second.

Last edited by ColdCast; 15 Sep 2013 at 22:54.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2013, 21:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Are those stats from the new books, ColdCast? I know they've been changed to be two separate weapons as-opposed to a single Twin Linked version

TBH, they don't do anything the Railgun or Ion Cannon can't do, and those two probably do it better. Charging a Hammerhead to within 12" inches to get Melta is insane, and you'd probably get charged with Melta Bombs in turn for your troubles.
CoffeeGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2013, 23:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

As far as I am aware, yes. Of the many, many online sources I've been able to find not one has listed different stats. That said, I have heard from other places about half of these being rendered useless as they're converted to two weapons. And since you can't fire two at full BS without losing your jink save, there is utterly no point in taking them if that's the case.

It's possible that these rules are from 5th edition, and that forgeworld has since released new rules. If that's the case, either no one has made them available online, or they're doing a fantastic job of torret suppression. Either way, I'm not paying them extra money for rules to special models they never keep updated. Is there anyone on here that has had any of the forgeworld stuff back in 5th edition, or has a new FW rules that can confirm this?
Old 16 Sep 2013, 23:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

they do a creep just like gw does, hell the manta is still running turn of fifth edition rules, they re did the tiger shark and barracuda i believe, and they also re-did tetras i know, but most of it is pretty much untouched, they also still sell old style broadsides and a type of drone that hasnt had any use since the close of 4th edition
Old 17 Sep 2013, 12:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

New Forge World rules where released in the new Taros book. It updates XV9s, Tetras and Barracudas. I only got a flick-through when a friend got it, but I now have four Tetras because they're pretty sweet now.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 14:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Can you tell us what they did change with the Tetras?
Old 17 Sep 2013, 22:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mostly the same, but the Markerlight is two Twin-Linked shots rather than four. More reliable IMO. Each one costs the same as three Pathfinders, roughly, and sacrifices one shot in comparison to gain Twin Linked, Fast Skimmer with AV10 all round. The model is tiny so easy to hide in cover as well. I love 'em now!