Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

devil fish and they're usefulness
Old 06 Sep 2013, 19:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default devil fish and they're usefulness

at 80 points the devil fish is a pretty pricy transport, especially since it isnt fast, and it has no fire points, so when i talk to my friends, they ask me why i would ever take them, and i have 2 answers, the first is that sometimes i feel like feilding a mech army, because i like the idea of it, and the second is that devil fish get the craziest cover saves.
a d pod gives you +1 cover, which for 15 points, sounds kinda bad, but if it moves at all you can combine that with its jink, giving it a 4+ in the open, and if its obscured you can raise that to a 2+ with no problems.
so as long as my friends dont get rid of my cover save (which they maybe do 1 time like every 5 games i play) my devilfish can survive better then a land raider, also if your playing the scouring when you detach the drones its a free scoring unit (but if they die your opponent gets a point)
anyway, those are my thought, so does anyone else think differently? am i misreading a rule? or do you agree?
Old 06 Sep 2013, 22:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

In my opinion, spending those extra points on a transport is always worth it, even if it just makes the squad last that extra turn. More wounds, harder to kill, and it can carry the recon drone from the pathies

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2013, 00:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The main reasons i take fish is because of three things: a) they are damn hard to kill and b) because they are a skimmer and c) because it keeps my fire warriors safe

for the first one, they have impossibly high armour - 12, 11, 10 and 3 HP. compared to the METAL BAWKSES of 10, 10, 10 or 11, 10, 10. combine that with a permanent 4+ cover, better in terrain and they are freaking hard to kill. I had one fish absorb 3 turns of shooting from a fire prism and a turn of shooting at the side armour from a pair of war walkers

for the second one, fire warriors can move up to a maximum of 6 inches, with checks for terrain. devilfish can move up to 6 inches, giving a rat's arse about cover and then still let the FW deploy another 6 inches out of it's hatches, or you can just move 12 inches without giving a care for terrain. You also get 12 inches of turbo boost which can move in front of the firewarriors, improve the cover save by one further, and give the FW's in question cover in a kind of pseudo fish of fury

finally, as i have said a few times before, I am a 'nids player, I am used to watching my army getting cut to pieces in a hail of fire before they make the enemies line. I also have a nidzilla list and am used to paying the points for the protection. I am more then willing to pay just shy of 100 points to make my FW squad safe and almost guaranteed to get the first strike in
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2013, 00:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

you just got to watch out using it for cover for your fire warriors, because it is a skimmer, it wont block a lot of ground level small arms fire
Old 07 Sep 2013, 00:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

most of the time, the main non armour save threat comes from big scary tanks on the hillside. the fish blocks them completely. the ground troops can almost always be armour saved against and the armour save on a FW is better then the 5+ cover.
Old 07 Sep 2013, 05:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wasn't aware fish get 12 inches more for flat out. Thus far I've only been moving them a total of 18 inches with flat out. Are you saying they can do 24?
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2013, 09:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yeah, 6 inches and disembark or 12 inches and stay put and then you get 12 inches of turbo boost
Old 12 Sep 2013, 19:12   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirmidion43 View Post
yeah, 6 inches and disembark or 12 inches and stay put and then you get 12 inches of turbo boost
Devilfish don't get turbo boost because they're not fast. They only get the 6 inch shooting phase move that every other vehicle gets.

Fun things to do with devilfish:
Fire warrior squad + darkstrider for outflanking tank and late game objective grabbing similarly good to kroot.

2 devilfish boxing in your fire warriors with detatched gun drones making sure those assault marines and terminators can't get to you for another turn,with pretty decent overwatch. It's no fish of fury, but it's still a respectable strategy.

Also, tank shocks.
GaBeRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2013, 21:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBeRock View Post
Fire warrior squad + darkstrider for outflanking tank and late game objective grabbing similarly good to kroot.
I don't follow about the Kroot. They can't start the game in a devilfish because it is a dedicated transport for fire warriors and pathfinders only. Thus they couldn't outflank with it.

On an unrealted note... just as a fun fact... a full sniper team can fit in a devilfish... and is allowed to do so... Useless perhaps, but maybe someone could make something of that (perhaps some mobile assault style ethereal+sniper drone team rapid deployment stuff?).
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2013, 22:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

arent jet pack troops bulky though?