Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Twin-linked vs Two Weapons on Crisis Suits (new to 40k)
Old 06 Sep 2013, 18:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Twin-linked vs Two Weapons on Crisis Suits (new to 40k)

So I'm new to 40k and have been reading a lot. One thing I'm not quite sure about is Twin-linked weapons vs Separate weapons on a Crisis Suit. I haven't found the exact answer but I'm guessing the separate weapons allow for the suit to attack multiple targets?

Is one clearly better than the other? And are there ever reasons I want to take either option?

Thanks in advance.
commissarwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2013, 19:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok, so when you twin link the weapon you get a re roll if you missed, but if they are separate, you get to fire 2 times, although im pretty sure it has to always be at the same target, but its usualy you pay like 5 extra points and gain the ability to fire twice, not re roll misses, making it possible for you to deal double the damage, its really beast when used with markerlights to up your BS, because you can get say 2 fusion shots at BS 5 on the back armor of a tank right after deep striking. i think if your going to have 2 of the same weapon you might as well use them seperatly because like i said its usualy a 5 point difference, and what are you going to get for 5 points? a kroot hound?
Old 06 Sep 2013, 19:13   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ah okay thanks! i mistakenly thought twin-linked was shooting twice. totally forgot it was for re-rolls.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 19:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

no problem, but you may want to try out both ways before you make a decision, i just know that separating them is what works for me.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 20:22   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hmmm...speaking of which, a crisis suit gets two attacks. does that allow him to shoot each weapon once, or each weapon twice?

and vetted (forgot the name) crisis suit has 3 attacks. given he has two or three weapons, how does that work?
Old 06 Sep 2013, 20:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Attacks are not for shooting, they are for close combat. Shooting the universal rule is that you may fire one gun for however many shots it is allowed to make (so for example the burst cannon is assault 4, and thus gets to roll 4 dice, each at S5 AP5). The crisis suit then has the multi-tracker which allows it to fire an additional weapon, so if it had a burst cannon and a missile pod it would not have to choose to fire one or the other but instead fire both.

As a further note on the discussion of Two verses Twin-Linked the multitracker does not work outside of the shooting phase, so you may only fire a single weapon for overwatch, in this case the twin-linked weapon (which counts as a single weapon option) makes full use of its points while a two weapon build only gets to use half its firepower in the off-phase.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2013, 21:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the over watch thing is a really good point, i totaly blanked on that
Old 06 Sep 2013, 21:07   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hah, i'm getting everything mixed up but the twin-link for overwatch makes perfect sense for a use case scenario.

So I would almost always want to run multi-tracker to fire all my available weapons for the crisis suits?
Old 06 Sep 2013, 21:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

multi tracker lets you fire 2 weapons in the shooting phase (normal you only can fire 1 per model) and it comes standard on your suits, so if you bring two guns and a support system, you can fire both guns, but when you get charged, thats in the assault phase so you dont get to fire an extra weapon. bu you always have a multi tracker, you also always have a blacksun filter which negates night fighting for your suits, its on page 70 of the codex, in the top left
Old 06 Sep 2013, 21:42   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

no wonder, i was looking at an older list that came up from a search that was still under 5th edition rules

If for whatever reason I decided to take 3 weapons, would I ever be able to fire all 3 on my shooting phase?