Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

are vespids any good?
Old 30 Aug 2013, 18:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Question are vespids any good?

i know last edition they were garbage, but theyre gun now shoots 6 inches farther and they have a 4+ save (so most armies basic weapons wont chew though it anymore). they run rather pricey though at around 16 points, and now that marines are probably going to get dropped to 13 does that seem fair? the only time ive ever used them was to support my crisis suits with ap3 weapons but they had a hard time staying with my suits with the whole jump pack/jet pack thing. anyway someone i know is selling theres and i just wanted additional oppinions so i can get a better idea if i should buy them or just get something else (maybe a flyer or save for a second riptide....)
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2013, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They are better but still not really worth it due to the cost.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2013, 18:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thats a little depressing, they seem like something that would be cool to have, and i think they look pretty cool (not a fan of the com. helm though) but i guess tau are doomed to only using one aux.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 22:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

well, i would use vespids if i had any. I have been using my grey knight interceptors for a few games, and I have to say that jump infantry is alot of fun. And, having anti-marine units is always a plus!

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2013, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you said that you were even considering vespid last ed, you would have been laughed out of the country. now, they are an expensive but effective anti marine option
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2013, 23:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd definitely agree with the point cost issue. For a full squad of 12 with a leader it's a whopping 226 points, for which a CSM player could get 10 marines, with a couple power / plasma weapons, and rhino with some modest upgrades.

Jump units have their advantages, and while Vespids have better stat-lines than most Tau units do for assault, there's not terribly much I'd want to assault them on. You'd either get mobbed by squishy blobs, or take a heavy beating from marine equivalents. Considering you have to get within 18" to vaporize them with neutrons, they just don't have the survivability to compete if you can't put lots of holes in the enemy on your first round of firing. At BS3 that means.. well, markerlights. Otherwise you will at most kill 6 with a squad of 12. An equivalent cost unit of marines or guard will kick your ass if you can only nab 6 on round 1.

No, for their stats and play dynamics they'd have to be alot cheaper than what they are for me to find a use for them. I'd rather have a squad of 5 Piranhas with fusion blasters (24 pts more in the same slot).
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2013, 00:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

^ agree with Coldcast.

Unit should be alot cheaper all things considered, for that price I'd want a bs4 and assault 2 unit.

If you want to play with jumpy units like LV consider your possible allied choices.

As LV, you could take GK allies if you want the added psyker defence.
Or vanilla marines.
OR my personal choice, Blood angels. BA assault squads are troops, and they have chance of getting red thirst. Also, for double the points per model, you could take death company and ruin everyone's day. Throw in a reclusiarch and you've got a fast, beatstick unit.

Shas'O T'au M'yen Korst'la (Tau Commander Deathbringer): 2500
Warboss Gartug 'eadcrusha: 1500 gone
(Dark Angels 'dex)Company master tharim: 1000

Soon to be started:
Lost and the Damned
Gue'vesa Regiment
Sublimemule8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2013, 15:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i want vespids to be good so badly.... i dont know how they figured 16 a model was a good price, especially now that marines are going to be 13. maybe when my armies around the 4000 point mark i'll order some to use for friendly games
Old 13 Sep 2013, 19:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was tempted to make some Vespid Counts-As, but I gave it up in the end because they didn't play well.

Sure, they're AP3, but Cover Saves null AP's abilities somewhat. Add their low volume of fire, and they just don't get the job done. They're awkward in that they're not worth the Markerlight support to boost their BS, but without it they're literally useless. One shot each, hitting on 4s and Wounding Marines of 3s means that from a Six man squad firing at someone in the open...you might get a kill...maybe even two!

Also factor in the Strain Leader's cost. Because he is mandatory. At Ld6 without him, he is mandatory.
CoffeeGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2013, 00:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Take a hint holotobo: you're not wanted
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote