Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

are piranhas usable?
Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default are piranhas usable?

i honestly have no idea. i only have 1 piranha, and i was wondering if running a lot of them at a time was good or fun, because if it is they seem like they would be a cool thing to run.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2013, 22:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

By themselves, no. But in schools, burst cannon piranhas with the gun drones attached can be quite vicious at dakka for their points cost and fusion blaster piranhas with the drones off on their own can be quite vicious too
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2013, 23:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They can be fun on their own, but in squadrons they are actually a pretty solid choice. It's one of the reasons that for every new Tau player I'd recommend 2 battleforce boxes, since piranha 1 is okay but 2-3 piranhas are going to be a pretty big thorn if used right.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2013, 17:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

yeah, i want to get some for apocalypse, i have a list thats a farsight bomb, some stealth suits with the beacon things, riptides, more xv8s, infiltrating kroot, firewarriors in devilfish, and i wanted to add something outflanking, so i'm probably going to try to get some piranhas then
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Fresh off the printing line, they cost the same as terminators. And can be taken in squads of equivalent sizes. It's pretty funny actually, they are cheap as chips and start out with 8 str 5 ap 5 shots (4 of which are TL'd), and are cheaper then the stock land speeder with a higher front AV.

The real choice/decision here, is whether you think that they are a better place to spend points than elsewhere. I've tried taking a few, and they can be quite of use. But i would still go for the 3xCrisis deathrains over them most of the time.

Shas'O T'au M'yen Korst'la (Tau Commander Deathbringer): 2500
Warboss Gartug 'eadcrusha: 1500 gone
(Dark Angels 'dex)Company master tharim: 1000

Soon to be started:
Lost and the Damned
Gue'vesa Regiment
Sublimemule8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Basically: fast attack over elites
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2013, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I run two Fusion Pirahnas. Costs 100 points. Detach the Drones after movement, you get a 56 point Drone squad to do whatever.

Then your cheap-as-hell 44 point Pirahna pair can go melt some vehicles, laughing at Bolter fire pinging off the Front Armour.
CoffeeGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2013, 03:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I can see the merit of a cheap fusion piranha detachment. Detached gun drones ban be used as cover to keep firewarriors alive for another shooting phase, or to keep them from getting assaulted. They still have JSJ for being jet pack, and can be generally irritating even with the paltry BS of 2. A pair of fusion blasters for an effective cost of 44 points is cheap as hell, and since each one is on something with two wounds it's not far from being a pair of single weapon crisis suits in terms of mobility and survivability. The high strength weapons that will melt you are often the same weapons crisis suits struggle against, except with this you can at least get a 5+ cover save regardless just for moving. 4+ if you pay for the disruption pod, though that jacks up the cost ALOT.

As for the piranha school tactic, it works well with large groups. 4 - 5 in a squad, or multiple squads. They are cheap for what they bring, slightly more survivable and much more mobile, without being as easy to move around as crisis teams and without being as flexible. If you're considering giving them a try, pick up a second one. Run the two piranha tactic from above. If I had a second one I know I would be running that quite often in low point list levels. Just don't put them anywhere where they'll die horribly off the bad, because they just scream first blood. Make sure you grab that up first before throwing them out against that termie squad or something.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote