Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuits and Heavy Weapons - Lets get this right for 6th Ed.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 23:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Battlesuits and Heavy Weapons - Lets get this right for 6th Ed.

Okay so, there has been some confusion over this for both me personally, and several other friends I've talked to. A handful of google searches have proven to be unfruitful, and old topics about previous edition rules just seem to muddle the issue. Let me break this down. If any of this information is incorrect, please point it out and I'll edit it. Between editions there has been alot of confusion about how this works.

For Tau Battlesuits there are four types:

Crisis Suits - Jet Pack Infantry

Stealth Suits - Jet Pack Infantry

Broadside Suits - Infantry

Riptide Suits - Jet Pack Monstrous Creature

So then, about movement and weapon types. If I understand the rules correctly, p.47 of the 6th Edition Rulebook states that Jet Pack units have the Relentless Special Rule. Going to that rule on p.41, it states that: Units with this special rule can shoot Heavy, Salvo, and Ordinance weapons even if they have moved in that turn's movement phase. They may also assault in the assault phase of the same turn they've fired during the shooting phase.

Thus, Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, and Riptide Suits CAN fire heavy weapons after moving, and allowed to assault after firing essentially ignoring the usual limitations of heavy weapons on infantry type units. The only Battlesuit that is not able to do so are Broadsides.

Similarly, Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits and Broadside Suits are considered infantry type units. Their normal movement parameters (assuming normal terrain) are:

Movement Phase: 0 - 6"
Shooting Phase: D6 (Running)
Assault Phase: 2D6

The Riptide Suit is considered a monstrous creature type unit. It's normal movement parameters (assuming normal terrain) are:

Movement Phase: 0 - 6"
Shooting Phase: D6 (Running)
Assault Phase: 2D6

Now, to go back to that Jet Pack rule for a moment. Again, Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, and Riptide Suits are considered Jet Pack units. As a result, they are allowed something called a Thrust Move. This allows a unit to move up to 2D6" in the Assault Phase, even if they have fired or run in the preceding Shooting Phase provided that they are not already locked in combat, and are not charging an enemy unit during the Assault Phase. Additionally, this movement is treated as normal movement, i.e. so long as they do not charge in the Assault Phase their movement behaves as though they were doing so in the Movement Phase while using their Jet Pack.

So in summary, here's an example on how this works.

"A Riptide moves toward an enemy unit 6" in the Movement Phase. Using an Ion Accelerator (Heavy 3), the Riptide fires at the enemy during the Firing Phase, treating the weapon as though it had remained stationary. Lastly, the Riptide rolls 2D6 for a result of 7, and moves 7" to the right into cover during the Assault Phase."

Keep in mind this doesn't take into account anything like Vectored Retro-Thrusters which while Riptide and Broadside Suits cannot take, Crisis Suits and Stealth Suits can. Let's say that a Crisis Suit Team was assaulted last turn, and has a model with Vectored Retro-Thrusters giving the whole unit the Hit & Run special rule. Taking an Initiative Test results in a 2, passing the unit and allowing them to move out of close combat. The Unit rolls 3D6 resulting in 4, and moves 4" away from the enemy unit. The question being, bearing in mind the Thrust Move rule from before, now that the Crisis Suit Team is out of combat, would they then be able to make a Thrust Move in the Assault Phase of the same turn?

The rule specifies units not locked in combat and according to the Hit & Run rule if the Initiative Test is successfully passed, the unit is no longer considered locked in combat.

Last edited by ColdCast; 18 Aug 2013 at 23:09.
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2013, 00:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hit and run takes place at the end of the assault phase. By using it you bring an end to the assault phase for that unit and thus may not thrust move afterwards.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2013, 02:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Alright that makes sense. I've got everything else correct though?
ColdCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2013, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

That is how I have been playing.

I am getting better at planning out my movement, but I keep screwing things up. For example, Sometimes you need to move your broadside, and then he can't shoot those HYMP

I am finding out, that moving around is a must. The initial impression I got was that Tau just sit and shoot, but these suits are highly mobile.
SSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2013, 19:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

dont forget rapid fire, you can assault after firing rapid fire weapons (plamsa rifles) with suits, and when used correctly yes they can assault effectively

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote