Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stereotpying army lists
Old 06 Aug 2013, 22:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Stereotpying army lists

I've been asking around at my local GW and everyone seems to think that these three are the most common type of tau list:

1) Gunline: Firewarriors and pathfinders buffed by a fireblade or ethereal parked behind an aegis with hammerheads and/or broadsides backing them up.
2)Mecha: Suits, suits and more suits. Battlesuit commander, riptides, crisis teams, broadsides and stealth teams. very little in the way of troops
3) Mech: Firewarrior squads in devilfish backed up by a commander and crisis team with hammerheads or the new aircraft backing them up

What do you guys think and which one is the strongest?
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2013, 23:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For the most part I agree. Tau are divided into either gunline or mobile styles. As for which one is better though... that's very hard to say.

Gunline has been given a huge buff while mech has suffered a general slowing. Gunline has become the intuitive starting point for new Tau players since it is straight forward and powerful... however I would argue it lacks the same level of flexibility that mech provides and is thus doomed to failure in higher tier competitive play.

That said though... it's still early days... and as a veteran of the dark ages of 5th edition I am definitely biased towards the flexibility of mech Tau over the power of the gunline. Only time will really tell.

Finally, with the Farsight supplement Tau have an opportunity unlike any they have had before... and entirely battlesuit army. From the fun games I played using house rules for that... it's monstrously powerful... but I have no real insight into it for this edition or even the Farsight specific army list.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2013, 21:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I play mech tau, but in 6th mecha is likely more powerful- riptides look awesome, and everything you can do with a hammerhead can be done with crisis suits.
That being said, most armies will likely include at least a single skyray or hammerhead, because of durability, range, and sheer power.
GaBeRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2013, 19:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ever since i saw how vicious the xv8 was, i started using them all the time, and i think mecha is the best in a game youve prepared for (as in knew the opponent and the army they were going to use) when every model (farsight enclave) has that many choices you can have every single one made for a different purpose. i think mecha is best in that its most entertaining to me to systematically unleash death from above with giant piloted robot suits.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2013, 20:40   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Personally, I employ a mix of gunlines and mecha tau, using fixed gunline with plenty of markerlights, hammerheads, broadsides and an ethereal. This would make for a formidable amount of shots, so as temptation I infiltrate a stealth suit team to play bait and draw the enemy into a headlong charge towards my army and the fire zone, whilst the marker lights help to turn Broadsides into snipers, picking off non independent characters (Mephiston mainly).

This then leads me to the final phase; 3+ crisis teams deep strike in the area created by the stealth team's diversion and take out the rearguard elements like tanks and camping troops. If it works, (it has only failed once) then they die by turn 4
Swiftsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 03:46   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftsabre View Post
Personally, I employ a mix of gunlines and mecha tau, using fixed gunline with plenty of markerlights, hammerheads, broadsides and an ethereal. This would make for a formidable amount of shots, so as temptation I infiltrate a stealth suit team to play bait and draw the enemy into a headlong charge towards my army and the fire zone, whilst the marker lights help to turn Broadsides into snipers, picking off non independent characters (Mephiston mainly).

This then leads me to the final phase; 3+ crisis teams deep strike in the area created by the stealth team's diversion and take out the rearguard elements like tanks and camping troops. If it works, (it has only failed once) then they die by turn 4
I wouldn't really view an army qualifying as mech without having 4+ tanks, at least one of those being a devilfish. Hammerheads (rail and ion) are pretty standard gunline fare, as they'll stay in pretty much the same location the enfire game, hiding behind either their jink save or some sort of obscuring cover.
GaBeRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 17:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

im making my first mech list in a while and i made a really bad video about it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U60KbZWpHHQ. its a 1500 list
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2013, 20:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

MechA is suits, Mech is vehicles, both mobile, one is focused on mounted firewarriors and hammerheads backed by mobil suits, the other is focused on mobile elite infantry, MC's and some support by tanks, troops, flyers and what not, gunlines can still have some suits and tanks for support. its all about where your power and focus lie in your list. more gen outlines, gunline shoud use kayuan, Mech should be mont'ka, mecha can do both, but probably not as well as the others

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2013, 01:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

so what do you think this list falls under? Mech? Gunline?

HQ

commander w cyclic ion blaster, fusion blaster, shield gen., iridium suit, drone controller, 2 shield drones

commander w 2 flamers, drone controller, multi spectrum sensor suite

Elites

Crisis team: 1 sunforge w target lock, 1 burning eyes w target lock, 1 2 flamers, shas'vre, command and control node. 6 marker drones. 1st commander joins this unit

Riptide w ion accelerator

Troops

3x 12 man FW teams

3x devilfish w disruption pods

Fast attack

2x 5 man pathfinder team

Heavy support

Longstrike railhead w disruption pod and submunition rounds

3x broadsides w HYMP, smart missile systems, velocity trackers and 6 missile drones. second commander joins this unit

Total: 2006 points
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2013, 17:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Seems to be somewhere between mech and mecha, for full mech I would add one more squad of firewarriors

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote