Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Close combat avoidance, and other Tau thoughts
Old 15 Jul 2013, 15:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Close combat avoidance, and other Tau thoughts

I am very new to Warhammer, so I don't know much, but now I have played 3 whole games, and feel like I have learned a few things, and generated way more questions. The last game was the first >750 game and I used a Hammerhead and Riptide for the first time.

First, I put a riptide on the board last game and was somewhat bummed about how it turned out. So a dreadnought dropod'ed on me. I did some damage, but eventually was assaulted. A powerfist can instant death a Riptide, apparently (S12 weapon). Is it just a fact, that you must not get into assault?

I also had a Hammerhead get assaulted by just two assault marines (maybe just the sergant?) and it blew up immediately.

The last game was not all bad:
I was very happy with the Shadowsun w/ Stealth Team setup. Adding a markerlight drone or two, would be nice to chain markerlights, but I did not have the points to spend. Overall that group was mobile and very deadly; the 3 Fusion and 2 burst handed a Predator almost singlehanded and also did a number on some a Land Speeder and a few pesky Space Marines with Lascannons (powerful gun there!).

I also found that a railgun in a pathfinder team is pretty darn cool, I want to try adding one or two more? I only had one railgun, and because the squad is static the heavy railgun fits right in and packs a punch. The recon drone, with it's two wounds and bust cannon, was an OK at keeping people away and my pathfinders protected.

Adding Cadre to a large Fire Warrior squad can help setup a very awesome gunline. Doubling the shots, while camping on an Objective worked pretty well.

I am really enjoying 40K, building, starting to paint and playing - I like it all.
After my Riptide and Hammerhead were gone, the game went downhill pretty fast. It left me with lots of ideas. Gauntlet on Crisis to intercept? Always run? More spacing? I think I should have focused more fire on the dreadnought and removed that powerfist (I didn't know it would kill me with one hit; all he had to do was roll a 3+ or something)

You guys have any thoughts? Tips?
SSII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2013, 08:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In the first game, the guy was bullshitting you. Strength cannot exceed 10. the exact rule for dreadnought close combat weapons states that it "cannot exceed strength 10. Any extra points are wasted".

Did you hide the hammerhead enough? if it was too close to the front it will die every single time. A disruption pod + shifting around the back results in a very hard to kill tank. Also, with a solid force, that melta bomb sergeant won't make it to the back.

Railrifles in pathfinders is very good when combined with the guy that drops the target's toughness by one. like that, the strength 6 ap 1 guns can insta-gib those pesky toughness 4 multi wound guys like nobs or paladins
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2013, 13:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ah, ok. I don't think he was intentionally bullshitting me. (we are both new, and have screwed up many things)

Yeah the Hammerhead got kinda trapped near the edge with some buildings. You live and you learn.

Thanks for the reply, maybe this weekend I can get in a rematch
Old 17 Jul 2013, 01:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can just move the hammerhead over whatever was trapping it there. Being a skimmer it gives exactly 0 shits about anything in the way
Old 18 Jul 2013, 22:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd assume trapped was less about physical movement constraints (though landing in difficult/dangerous terrain can be risky), I've had hammerheads get trapped often by close combat units within that 12" movement ark of the vehicle's movement, where if you move out from behind the terrain piece holding back that assault team, you'll get assaulted for sure. Happened in a game of mine against a dark angel player, ended up stuck in a corner.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2013, 04:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If the hammerhead moved, you'd be getting 3+ to hit against it, so CCB it would go down quick smart to assaulty units. It's a very tough tank At range.
The idea is, you lend your firepower to taking out the tough/assaulty units, so they can't break your ranged oriented army (Tau armies full stop).
The major threats to riptides are snipers (although, most of the time you can outlive their shooting), and Force weapons.

for future reference, the pathfinders have rail-rifles, not Railguns.

There are plenty of anti-dreadnought options in the tau army (be aware, when it deepstrikes it cant assault that turn). anti-tank in general should have a simple time, if you can get some fire warriors to insert pulse rifle rounds into its rear tail-pipe, you can ruin its day pretty well.

also, it's nice to see someone else using the forum code (even if it was just bold), no-one else seems too...

Shas'O T'au M'yen Korst'la (Tau Commander Deathbringer): 2500
Warboss Gartug 'eadcrusha: 1500 gone
(Dark Angels 'dex)Company master tharim: 1000

Soon to be started:
Lost and the Damned
Gue'vesa Regiment
Sublimemule8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2013, 13:11   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the replys, guys.

I had a much better game against some Eldar this weekend. Riptide preformed beautifully; I love the Overcharge Large Blast Ion.

Shadowsun with Crisis is great as well.

Still would like to have some more Strength 6+ weapons, but I'm learning more and more.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 23:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

How about broadsides? HYMP broadsides can rain down a lot of strength 7 shots, even more with drones. give them velocity trackers and they're suddenly the best tau AA in the book
Old 23 Jul 2013, 12:30   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirmidion43 View Post
How about broadsides? HYMP broadsides can rain down a lot of strength 7 shots, even more with drones. give them velocity trackers and they're suddenly the best tau AA in the book
Great, another model to buy. I really need to learn to paint. My grey Tau are looking kinda sad.