Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New tetra
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New tetra

So I got the new IA volume 3 and the tetra rules change the marker light are now heavy2 TL there 35 point but lost dpods so are they now a a viable sourse of ML for the same points as before the update they will be the same point with the lost of the heavy four but really thinking about there TL so u should be getting the same amout of ML hit at bs 3 I will have to play test them on Saturday. Any commits of the new forgeworld change
echo456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2013, 22:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

honestly i wouldn't mess around with tetras. pathfinders are better. tetras can die to small arms fire like the pathfinders but can also die to a lucky lascannon. with the new range on the markerlights, pathfinders camping in a ruin is very effective and tetras, while faster.... they tend to die a lot.
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2013, 00:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't know after several games my pathfinders die a lot faster then my tetras. If I run them with no upgrades they are cheap for what they do at 35 pt per they are a very cost effective ML platform if I run them with dpods then there the same points before the update at 50pt
Old 13 Jun 2013, 03:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Pathfinders are way more fragile than tetras. Sure they both can die to light arms fire, but pathfinders are way more likely to get taken down by infantry guns. The tetra is like a T6 monstrous creature with 2 wound. It can move and fire, enemies need 6s to wound it, and it still has a 5+ cover save (same as pathfinder armour) or as high as a 3+ with disruption pod and flat out.

That said, I don't know if they will be worth it or not. I never used them before, and I don't really feel inclined to use them now.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like Tetras.
I just like them.
They are flexible, and annoy people.
They one average deliver 2 markerlight hits at a target, the most you need on a unit generally, unless you want ignore cover as well, which is another
They have a pulse carbine as well, which means that not only are they as cost effective as path-finders, but they also have a gun, which can force pinning.
They look cool.
Pretty much immune to CC
Fast
Again, flexible.

Pathfinders: Glorified Gaunts
So easy to kill
poof, dead

Ok obviously this is incredibly biased, but I think that Tetras are almost always the way to go. People generally won't waste a lascannon shot on them, which has a 75% chance of not doing anything based on to hit roles and cover save alone.
Emberkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Following on about gaunts, gaunts become really tough to kill if you hide them well, especially a big old blob of devilgaunts in a ruin or, if you pay for it, an aegis defence line (yes I know that makes no sense but they can still take it). I should know, i'm a 'nids player myself.

The point is, pathfinders can camp on some high cover terrain and use the 36" markerlights to high beam just about anything. also, a 5 man team puts out an average of 3 markerlight hits per turn for less cost then 2 tetras with disruption pods which is what you need to take
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2013, 14:00   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The tetras do not have carbine they have pulse rifles
Old 13 Jun 2013, 20:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

pathfinders are a better unit, theyre cheaper for a more flex able unit which is what theyre supposed to be, tetras are only good for one thing, and they arent that great at it. the only time i ever run tetras anymore if if they have piranhas nearby for gun support
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2013, 03:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirmidion43 View Post
Following on about gaunts, gaunts become really tough to kill if you hide them well, especially a big old blob of devilgaunts in a ruin or, if you pay for it, an aegis defence line (yes I know that makes no sense but they can still take it). I should know, i'm a 'nids player myself.
I think the key difference is unit size and battlefield role. 50 guardsmen can pull off being bad at everything they do (especially living) because there are 50 of them. You said yourself it's the big blob of gaunts which makes them something to worry about. A maximum of 10 pathfinder, even in cover, won't have anybody sweating to clear them from the table (unless you just constantly go to ground behind an aegis in which point your opponent is doing a very good job of keeping your unit out of the game alive or dead).

One thing I have been thinking about is that pathfinders appear almost custom tailored for the purpose of boosting BS during overwatch. I know Tau has been redesigned to be the new overwatch gimmick army in the same way the Eldar have been reassigned to be the worlds most mobile army (army wide jump shoot jump or move move shoot is an amazing power). and I'm wondering if pathfinders were not designed with the express purpose of putting massive numbers of markerlights into play through supporting fire while the other forms of lights were designed to... well to work in the shooting phase (small numbers but accurate)...
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2013, 21:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Might I take this time to remind all of us that Tetras are not Codex, there for have to be approved by the guy sitting across the table. Most will not mind, but there are a few that will.

I am going to wade in on the side of Mirmidon. My pathfinders serve two functions. First, they serve as a Markerlight unit. I do not normally rely on them exclusively, as I have my lights spread a little.

Second, my enemies always attack them, so I put them in the one place I want the enemy the most. Yes, for the greater good, I also use my pathfinders as bait. They are the most recognizable source of lights. They are a tempting target, and I typically lose most of that squad.

I run a few tetras, but I have always seen them as too expensive for a light and that is all they are really good for.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote