Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Xv 8 preference
Old 08 Jun 2013, 04:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Question Xv 8 preference

i like running expensive, hard to kill crisis suits with a helios pattern (plasma fusion) because i usually fight marine armies. although sunforge has proved incredibly entertaining, does anyone else have a favorite load out on a xv 8, or am i just crazy?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2013, 21:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In the previous codex it was the helios. I'd run 2 command squads with a shas'el and 2 shas'vre all with plasma, fusion, target arrays, and multitrackers. Drop them in on a weak flank and just chew through everything with impunity.

The deathrain+ suits were also a great option in the previous codex, though rarely were they quite the upstart home-run units that the helios were.

The key in both cases was that they were entirely self reliant builds. No markerlights, no support fire to help take down the unit. Nothing. They either had the range or the punch to do their own thing no questions asked.

Now this is not the case for the helios. It needs to be properly supported by markerlights... and it's no longer the most effective at its job. The helios was designed from a necessity to bring anti-teq firepower. With the large AP2 blast template from the riptide, or even a double plasma suit, we no longer need the mixed guns of the helios.

The end result is... I don't really have a favourite crisis suit anymore. The deathrains (now working with 4 missiles) are not really performing in any exemplar fashion (they never really did), and the helios are so tied down to marker support that I feel like I'm playing orks when my lights get wiped out. Perhaps double plasma burning eyes, or double fusion sunforges will shine in this edition.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2013, 04:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I am still loving my missile plasma (fireknife?) However I have started to try a deepstriking team of 2 individual meltas to eliminate my foes heavy artillery (i play mainly guard, so yeah).

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2013, 16:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Does the fireknife have any purpose in the modern Tau list? Under 4th edition it was the jack of all trades master of none. Under 6th edition... I would have though it's performing like a jester. Even with full markerlight support it won't be doing any one job as well as... well... literally any other suit option of the same points with that same level of support.
Carrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2013, 18:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

For me, I think its just that my habits are hard to kill. i still find that having this load out is quite useful, just in case you do have the occasional surprise. However, I have dropped the amount I run of them.

When tactics don't work for you, add more firepower and than re-evaluate the situation
lemonvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2013, 18:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

i usually run a unit of three all decked out with Sheild generators and TL plamsa, with one of the suits being a 'vre with Multi spectrum, and attach my commander with them, (usually "farsight") which has been a scary Elite hunter unit that works great in tandam with the riptide, and has the ability to run indepndant of markerligts.

I tried runing my 'vre with TL fusion and target lock + Iridium (for the extra surviveabilty lost from the SG) and deep striking with Farsight and that worked very well.

Commander Nightflier's Cadre (Tau): 1000
Dragon Guard (Space Marines): 1000
Halafax Rapiers (Imperial Guard): 600
commander_nightflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2013, 05:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like deathrains, especially in cover with the range on the things . other then that, a sunforge bomb is nasty for armour. but my favourite is the burning eyes, double plasma guns. I play a Nidzilla army so that works very well against that and also can make a mess out of that fancy deathstart termie unit headed in your direction
mirmidion43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2013, 17:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

im excited for the hardcover release on the farsight supplement. its going to be awesome having troop choice xv8's, i want to see how well armies like that will do though, something tells me not to amazing against orks.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2013, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I run a vanilla helios squad and a deathrain squad (with one xv8 being my commander) equipped with 6 marker drones and a drone controller on the commander.

Helios takes down anything with a good armor save, deathrain provides some high strenght hits and markerlights.
GaBeRock is offline   Reply With Quote